The StP Bandana Project (1 Viewer)

Corner Symbols: What do you think would look best?

• Total voters
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
uploadfromtaptalk1411350266881-jpg.17457

Small update, I got the frame finished today! My carpentry skills suck but it turned out pretty okay.

Tomorrow I'm going to start the emulsion process and burning the image into the screen.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
okay, latest update!

so... it's funny how things turn out when you actually print them out in real life as opposed to looking at it on a computer screen:

img_20141001_165610-jpg.17516

ignore the print quality, my printer was running out of ink.

img_20141001_165604-jpg.17515

so it seems that the bandanna fabric i got is actually 20 x 21 inches, and the design i've been working on is 22 x 22. also, as you can see, the current size of the circle n's and a's are waaaay too big. also, most of the other symbols are far too large as well.

so... i got a bit of reworking of the design to do. i gotta shrink the symbols, fill the space with more symbols and shrink everything slightly to fit the space of the bandanna fabric.

man, bandannas are a bitch! i'll have a new design up soon.

Dang, did you hand cut all of that with an exacto knife? I do stencils and the hardest are always the ones with lots of tiny details like that.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
okay folks here's the latest update. like i stated before, when going to print the symbols and road/tracks were way too huge, so i shrunk them down to a more reasonable size. this created a lot of blank space for more symbols, so a spent a few hours searching for some and came up with a few which you can see in the image below. at this rate, it looks like i'll need another 12 images to fill in the rest, and then we'll be ready to print. so if you have suggestions, please let me know! it took me several hours to find the 9 new images i put in, so i could really use the help :)

now, as for printing... like i said before, i ordered about 50 black bandannas, but the quality wasn't that great, and they were cut weird (21 x 20 inches???) and so i decided to say fuck it, and eat the cost, cause the fabric just isn't up to spec. in the interest of time and trying to make these available as soon as possible, i've decided to pony up the $360 (+shipping) it'll take to have a real screen printer print this on proper fabric (and in the correct size :p).

so... as soon as i can get the design done, i'm sending it out to print. when it gets back i'll start taking orders. the more ideas you give me, the sooner the design will be finished!

So enough talk, here's the latest version:

bandkerchief_stpv2-jpg.17742

wombatt

Wayfarer
Website
nogodsnomasterz.tumblr.com
Microcosm is owned and operated by rapists and because of that reason I think you should not include that symbol. Some other images that could be cool to put on could be little rucksacks or a wheelchair squat sign (I know there are already 2 squat related images but whatever) or perhaps a thumbs up (for the hitchhiker folk). Just my two cents

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Microcosm is owned and operated by rapists and because of that reason I think you should not include that symbol. Some other images that could be cool to put on could be little rucksacks or a wheelchair squat sign (I know there are already 2 squat related images but whatever) or perhaps a thumbs up (for the hitchhiker folk). Just my two cents
Yeah, I don't know the whole story but I heard the main (former?) owner was accused of that... But what symbol are you referring to? I didn't realize I'd borrowed something from microcosm...

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Not to get too off subject here, but from what I understand of that situation it's pretty unfair to say the whole operation is owned by rapists because of the actions of one person. I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot of good, innocent people there who would resent that kind of blanket statement. Just sayin' ::meh::

nanoperception

Comrade Bambi
Website
sunfishfiesta.tumblr.com
idk about the four symbols on the right bud, they look real clean and don't fit really, plus man.....im a outlaw I cant wear a bunny. also two cents
hey, fuck you, man, goin' round sayin outlaws can't wear bunnies. what's your problem with bunnies?

okay folks here's the latest update. like i stated before, when going to print the symbols and road/tracks were way too huge, so i shrunk them down to a more reasonable size. this created a lot of blank space for more symbols, so a spent a few hours searching for some and came up with a few which you can see in the image below. at this rate, it looks like i'll need another 12 images to fill in the rest, and then we'll be ready to print. so if you have suggestions, please let me know! it took me several hours to find the 9 new images i put in, so i could really use the help :)

now, as for printing... like i said before, i ordered about 50 black bandannas, but the quality wasn't that great, and they were cut weird (21 x 20 inches???) and so i decided to say fuck it, and eat the cost, cause the fabric just isn't up to spec. in the interest of time and trying to make these available as soon as possible, i've decided to pony up the $360 (+shipping) it'll take to have a real screen printer print this on proper fabric (and in the correct size :p).

so... as soon as i can get the design done, i'm sending it out to print. when it gets back i'll start taking orders. the more ideas you give me, the sooner the design will be finished!

So enough talk, here's the latest version:

View attachment 17742
Although on the other hand that Guy Fawkes mask is a 100% no go, it looks bad on the bandana, and the mask isn't really a great symbol as it's been used by a group with pretty racist/sexist/homophobic tendencies from a website populated mostly by straight white males.

kaichulita

soul rebel
It looks great so far with the symbols Matt!

As for the extra symbols, I think it's going to be hard to find more to fill in the empty space so maybe make the bandana look something like this?

657564-black-bandana-with-white-ornaments-no-transparency-and-gradients-used-in-the-vector-file-jpg.20236

The little designs spaced out around in a circle could be the symbols and then you could fill the space with a cool abstract design. The four corners and the middle would be replaced with the symbols you already have. Hope this helps.

nomad89

Wayfarer
I think the finalized design looks kickass. So glad to see this project is finally coming to fruition. I'll definitely be ordering one.

nomad89

Wayfarer
Against the Guy Fawkes mask.
Pissed with the decline of Catholicism in the UK, he decided the solution was to blow up parliament.
Do we really want to promote religious extremism?
While I understand the historical significance of Guy Fawkes, I feel like the modern usage of the mask has more to do with subverting unjust governments and (more specifically) is a reference to Anonymous and other groups of activists fighting for social justice.

Kal

Hobo
Looks good could use a thumb for the hitchhikers and a freight train on the tracks would be cool. How do I order one and how much does it and when can I order one?

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
While I understand the historical significance of Guy Fawkes, I feel like the modern usage of the mask has more to do with subverting unjust governments and (more specifically) is a reference to Anonymous and other groups of activists fighting for social justice.
yep. what he said.

The little designs spaced out around in a circle could be the symbols and then you could fill the space with a cool abstract design. The four corners and the middle would be replaced with the symbols you already have. Hope this helps.
I'll play around and see if I can come up with something. My Illustrator skills are limited :p

Love the bolt cutter addition :)
thanks, i was hoping you'd like that :)

Looks good could use a thumb for the hitchhikers
ok, i think i got a good one in there now. i'm working on the train.

How do I order one and how much does it and when can I order i'one?
i'm hoping to finish the design in the next 2-3 days. i'm guessing perhaps about 2 weeks after that i'll have the finished product in hand ready to sell. so hopefully, middle of november they'll be ready?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
thegreatestsalad