The StP Bandana Project (1 Viewer)

Corner Symbols: What do you think would look best?

• Total voters
We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

autumn

Lurker
I don't know about adding squat the planet in there. It'd be nice to get the site some extra exposure but I don't want to pay to basically advertise for you on my neck. Although I absolutely wouldn't mind if it's subtler than a gigantic "SQUATTHEPLANET.COM"

Either way I'll buy one

Last edited:

Hylyx

Vagabond
Website
www.helyxcious.tumblr.com
Love it!
How about a squat key, since it is for squat the planet? Haha, maybe you could make one of those pictogram puzzles to represent StP.

Also, someone I may or may not know made these bandannas a few years back. https://www.etsy.com/listing/85228426/ows-bandana-black
They have a bunch of useful info around the border, ACLU and NLG numbers, and other good tips. Maybe we could think of a few specific to travelling and put them on there? I always like my things to be as utilitarian as possible...

Definitely in for at least one!

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Count me in for one. And count one more vote for stp being in there somewhere.

I also agree with whoever suggested more subtlety in the anarcho-alcoholic stuff

Carmelita

Lurker
Hell yeah lookin good! Im in for one or two for sure. Im at the same place as ^ TheWindAndRain ^, up one for STP on it, up one for incognito political symbols.

Whatever you do, please don't put squattheplanet.com on it in bold or large letters, as someone else mentioned it would sorta detract from the essence I think you're going for and give it somewhat of a walking advertisement or brand aesthetic.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Whatever you do, please don't put squattheplanet.com on it in bold or large letters, as someone else mentioned it would sorta detract from the essence I think you're going for and give it somewhat of a walking advertisement or brand aesthetic.
Haha I actually never intended to put any kind of plug for StP, since I figured it would speak for itself and folks can tell anyone that wants to know where they got it.

If I did put a plug, it would probably be a tiny "www.squattheplanet.com" along the edge on one side.

Love it!
How about a squat key, since it is for squat the planet? Haha, maybe you could make one of those pictogram puzzles to represent StP.

Also, someone I may or may not know made these bandannas a few years back. https://www.etsy.com/listing/85228426/ows-bandana-black
They have a bunch of useful info around the border, ACLU and NLG numbers, and other good tips. Maybe we could think of a few specific to travelling and put them on there? I always like my things to be as utilitarian as possible...

Definitely in for at least one!
Ha, I've totally seen that bandana before its pretty great. It would be cool to have some kind of neat info on it like that but it would most likely be just a little too much/too crowded.

I still like the idea of putting a map on the back, but that's twice as much paint, work, etc. And I want to make sure the first run is a high a quality as possible before I start going buck wild with crazy ideas :)

Oh, and what do you mean buy a squat key? You mean like a water key? Or a crowbar?

Does the suggested 10$ price tag go to the website donation?
I'll definitely be using part of it to pay server costs, but this is a mostly for-profit venture, since there's a lot of stuff I need before I start school. If you're asking if purchases will show up on the donation meter, probably not. I mean, you *could* donate 10 bucks then send me a pm with where you want your bandanna sent.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Think you could post one to Australia?
i don't mind shipping internationally, but keep in mind you'll have to pay for shipping, which may be expensive or take a long time. i can't imagine it would take that long though, it's just a piece of cloth :)

tobepxt

Vagabond
Website
wastedlandz.tumblr.com
i like the ideas so far. the first design is cool, but i think the symbols should be a bit smaller and slightly more hand drawn looking. putting "squat the planet" on it would be cool, but imo there's no reason to put ".com" on it. anyway i like what i see. wish i had some input for ya. i'll be sure to get one once you finish them up.

ellilis

Scavenger
Website
ellilis.tumblr.com
This is so awesome that this is going to happen! I like how you made the vertical borders into roads: nice way to incorporate it! I'm happy to "hand draw" in the symbols in illustrator if it's any help, not that I imagine the task is too difficult ;)

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
This is so awesome that this is going to happen! I like how you made the vertical borders into roads: nice way to incorporate it! I'm happy to "hand draw" in the symbols in illustrator if it's any help, not that I imagine the task is too difficult ;)
actually, could you? i'm a total illustrator noob, and my circle a/squat sign aren't coming out too well:

bandkerchief_stpversion-jpg.17186

for anyone reading this, this isn't an official design, i'm just testing to see what various things look like on it... but of course, feel free to let me know what you think!

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
@ellilis how do you get those neat wavy lines that make it look hand drawn? i've been mostly copying and pasting your previous lines and manipulating them to where they need to be.

ellilis

Scavenger
Website
ellilis.tumblr.com
@ellilis how do you get those neat wavy lines that make it look hand drawn? i've been mostly copying and pasting your previous lines and manipulating them to where they need to be.
I drew em in so they'd look hand-drawn ;) Just preferred that style to straight. You did great in however you manipulated the road and whatnot. :) I can make the symbols you have here (anarchy etc) in ellilis-hand-drawn-style for sake of consistency and send em on?

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
I drew em in so they'd look hand-drawn ;) Just preferred that style to straight. You did great in however you manipulated the road and whatnot. :) I can make the symbols you have here (anarchy etc) in ellilis-hand-drawn-style for sake of consistency and send em on?
that would be fucking fantastic. i'm even worse at drawing with my hands (than in illustrator) :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

My account finally says "Hobo"
No one can tell me I didn't earn my skank
Anyone in Minneapolis at the protest, just got back here from Duluth
Will do these posts occasionally so family and friends know we are alive and well.
Currently: in Mariposa, CA, getting ready to head to Coulterville, CA.
Always sucks to see good ppl/new friends get back on that ironhorse after getting to hangout/know, be safe friends an stay in touch! @Koala @scutellaria, maxy, Henry an well. Wish I was enroute South with y'all!
I hate my fucking back. A combination of bank bullshit and now a strained or sprained back had kept me held up in Pennsylvania. Have a place to stay, but I'm pissed at life trying to keep me off the road!
Fuck it, I'm getting a bottle
Wheat2020 wrote on Matt Derrick's profile.
I'mma cut to the chase: You don't call me what I consider to be a slur or insult, and I won't call you names.
You say I should love myself and have more self-confidence. You've got it all wrong. I love myself plenty, and I know for a fact that I am capable of doing incredible things, both good and evil.
You say fake it till you make it. I'm too honest for that. Instead I will have faith in myself, and act accordingly.
These new rules for the train riding forum are ridiculous. I've been on here for 5 ish years.
MFB wrote on Older Than Dirt's profile.
Just wanted to say you look waaay better in your new avatar pic. ;) You clean up nice!
Bent123 wrote on iamwhatiam's profile.
I read your story last month about working in Alaska. I got a job in Naknek this summer. Definitely can get how it felt like jail. I fear it's really going to feel that way with this virus. We can't go into town. I'm not very happy about that since it will limit my exploring. Yet I really need the opportunity right now. Anymore advice is much appreciated.

Members online

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
Nezidig