The Keys?

acer910

Reaction score
Anyone know about the Keys?
Heard you can camp on some of the islands, roaming chickens, work on boats, warm at night.
never been though.

Anyone in the area or have been?

supertramp1990

Reaction score
i was in key west like a month an a half ago. youll get arrested if you sleep on christmas tree island anymore, you have to stash your pack at all times or the cops will fuck with you. i slept in the graveyard. but the keys are def. beautiful if youve never been.

acer910

Reaction score
where would you stash your pack? im suuuper paranoid about stashing packs... getting your shit stolen aint fun

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
Dammnn, you can't sleep on X-mas tree anymore?! Such is the plague of gentrification... When I was there a couple years ago, the legality of camping there was quite hazy - the cops generally had better things to do than going after kids camping on the island - out of sight, out of mind seemed to be the theory there, and it seemingly worked incredibly well.

As far as stashing packs...that's a damn good question; I was living in a van with a lady-friend while I was there, so that wasn't an issue. As such, I might suggest making friends with some of the 'van people' - there are a ton of people that hang out with their vans on Higgs Beach allllll day. Perhaps one of them could caretake your shit, if they're good peoples? 'Cause yeah, I'm not sure where you would stash your stuff... maybe in the vicinity of the marina on the other side of the island (sorry, the name escapes me right now) - that area had about the best selection of shrubbery and whatnot, and if you go further away from the marina (like towards Stock Island), it's even more off the beaten path...

lostboy

Reaction score
i loved marathon, nice little camping spot right near where the bus lets you off. rode public transit from miami, only thing that sucks is there are no stops for a long fuckin time so either piss before you get on or dont drink on the bus...

RubyOutlaw

Reaction score
I seriously hated hitching through florida. I was alone and wasn't sure if I should be more nervous at night with the creepy people I kept meeting or the alegators that I kept hearing about....in the end I took my chances with sleeping in populated areas as to avoid getting eaten....even though I have two pretty big dogs.

travis

Reaction score
Anyone know about the Keys?
Heard you can camp on some of the islands, roaming chickens, work on boats, warm at night.
never been though.

Anyone in the area or have been?

I didn't like the keys. Stayed on Marathon and Key West (Conch Republic). Yes, the weather is warm... but the people, well... It's the keys. Retired old people and rich tourists on fishing trips. Perhaps good if you spange, but be careful, and I wouldn't honestly expect any of them to give you the time of day, let alone any of their money. There was an abandoned hotel on Marathon that was worth checking out... boarded up after hurricane Wilma. Also, don't fuck with the chickens... it's a felony. They are protected.

Az Tek

Reaction score
Huge fan of the Keys. Esp Key West or Largo. Duval St is worth checking out. Rated by playboy #1 party street. lol. They have Fantasy fest every year as well. Just don't be there in August-Mid September unless you got a shorefire way to get out when the canes roll through. Was stuck there in 2005 when Hurricane Wilma came through. Half the Islands where under water. Still tho, beautiful place.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads