The Church Of Carl Sagan Squat | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

The Church Of Carl Sagan Squat

Slingshot Collective

Reaction score
Website
slingshot.tao.ca
Also op... seems like u left recently? Did you hear if hot mess was still open or if they finally got evicted. I am curious. :)
PICT0001.JPG

This was just after RCA caught on fire last year. You can see the Hot Mess all boarded up...

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Was the eviction by the city or the property owners?

Mongo

Reaction score
Reactions: RSTY802510

Slingshot Collective

Reaction score
Website
slingshot.tao.ca
WTf ...... that was the church?I always wondered who was in that place. I always walked by it from the swamp or the place with the skate ramp in the side yard. that area is still one of the best in oakland.
Ha, that was our media name. It was really called Hydra House 'cause it was the third of three squat that came directly out of the Stay Away after it was evicted.

RSTY802510

[NERD]
Reaction score
Seeing that photo was a sad sight.
I remember when we(dooney, keeloco, achilles,kyle, solo) were coming up with names hydra popped into are heads. One because were nerds and two because of an awesome metal song me and k would sing. Then it kinda clicked.
The fern and hydra house. I don't remember the other.

Good times were definitely had there and I miss it every day. Fuuuuuuck I miss the old days when everyone worked together and got along.
Hydra house forever<3

Reactions: Matt Derrick

RSTY802510

[NERD]
Reaction score
My room when we first moved in.
image.jpg
Kee locos side of the room after some months of sillyness and drunk people painting are walls. In that picture frame was an old leather southern pacific seat piece from a rusted out locomotive we found.
image.jpg

The kitchen with some random food bank fruit. I believe this was from a squat luck(potluck)
image.jpg
solo infront of the ktvu news truck. This was shortly after a swarm of sheriffs evicted us from the stay away squat.
image.jpg
From the stay away eviction
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

BlueGirl

Reaction score
hey i just accidentally rated a post of yours i didnt even have open. i went to close this page and my mouse went stupid and it seems like the rating is a bad one ;/ its on the church of carl sagan post. please remove my rating from this!! its a great article. so sorry about that!

wanderingwingnut

Reaction score
the eviction was carried out by the county this spring after a court case.

Let me get this right, you're saying Hydra went until this year??

I visited a few times at the beginning, guess that was 2013/2014. Had no clue it kept going, somehow I thought it got evicted within a year.

Seeing that photo was a sad sight.
I remember when we(dooney, keeloco, achilles,kyle, solo) were coming up with names hydra popped into are heads. One because were nerds and two because of an awesome metal song me and k would sing. Then it kinda clicked.
The fern and hydra house. I don't remember the other.

I think the third you might be thinking of was La Idea, which actually started a little before Stayaway got evicted.

There was also the Crusher around the corner, and another a few blocks away. Seems forgotten to most who lived in the West Oakland nexus, but the area just east of Highland had a shitload of squats for a couple years there.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads