Photos Featured The Church Of Carl Sagan Squat (1 Viewer)

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!
Current Location
Berkeley Calif
Website
slingshot.tao.ca
WTf ...... that was the church?I always wondered who was in that place. I always walked by it from the swamp or the place with the skate ramp in the side yard. that area is still one of the best in oakland.
Ha, that was our media name. It was really called Hydra House 'cause it was the third of three squat that came directly out of the Stay Away after it was evicted.

RSTY802510

[NERD]
Current Location
Minneapolis, United States
Seeing that photo was a sad sight.
I remember when we(dooney, keeloco, achilles,kyle, solo) were coming up with names hydra popped into are heads. One because were nerds and two because of an awesome metal song me and k would sing. Then it kinda clicked.
The fern and hydra house. I don't remember the other.

Good times were definitely had there and I miss it every day. Fuuuuuuck I miss the old days when everyone worked together and got along.
Hydra house forever<3

RSTY802510

[NERD]
Current Location
Minneapolis, United States
My room when we first moved in.
image-jpg.27315_The Church Of Carl Sagan Squat_Squatting_Squat the Planet_6:29 PM
Kee locos side of the room after some months of sillyness and drunk people painting are walls. In that picture frame was an old leather southern pacific seat piece from a rusted out locomotive we found.
image-jpg.27316_The Church Of Carl Sagan Squat_Squatting_Squat the Planet_6:29 PM

The kitchen with some random food bank fruit. I believe this was from a squat luck(potluck)
image-jpg.27317_The Church Of Carl Sagan Squat_Squatting_Squat the Planet_6:29 PM
solo infront of the ktvu news truck. This was shortly after a swarm of sheriffs evicted us from the stay away squat.
image-jpg.27318_The Church Of Carl Sagan Squat_Squatting_Squat the Planet_6:29 PM
From the stay away eviction
image-jpg.27319_The Church Of Carl Sagan Squat_Squatting_Squat the Planet_6:29 PM
image-jpg.27320_The Church Of Carl Sagan Squat_Squatting_Squat the Planet_6:29 PM

junkpolecat99

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Current Location
Flint, MI
If I ever go somewhere expensive like California again, I will use my new knowledge about squats and foreclosed houses.

Shaka

That One Guy
Current Location
Always good to see people get together and help each other out.

BlueGirl

Lurker
Current Location
Seattle, Washington
hey i just accidentally rated a post of yours i didnt even have open. i went to close this page and my mouse went stupid and it seems like the rating is a bad one ;/ its on the church of carl sagan post. please remove my rating from this!! its a great article. so sorry about that!

Current Location
Oakland, CA
the eviction was carried out by the county this spring after a court case.

Let me get this right, you're saying Hydra went until this year??

I visited a few times at the beginning, guess that was 2013/2014. Had no clue it kept going, somehow I thought it got evicted within a year.

Seeing that photo was a sad sight.
I remember when we(dooney, keeloco, achilles,kyle, solo) were coming up with names hydra popped into are heads. One because were nerds and two because of an awesome metal song me and k would sing. Then it kinda clicked.
The fern and hydra house. I don't remember the other.
I think the third you might be thinking of was La Idea, which actually started a little before Stayaway got evicted.

There was also the Crusher around the corner, and another a few blocks away. Seems forgotten to most who lived in the West Oakland nexus, but the area just east of Highland had a shitload of squats for a couple years there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$40.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $40.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $40.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $40.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $40.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

The user account self-delete system is back online.
siid wrote on raincheck's profile.
gang goin dummy bitch yiiizzzZzzzzZz love u :👽:

Trains in 2017: 0
2018: 1
2019: 32 and counting
croc wrote on bowldog's profile.
Love ur profile pic. She looks so sultry peeking thru the trees
dumpsternavel wrote on Rhubarb Dwyer's profile.
So clevar
The only good part about the ER is the BE that comes before-hand! :p
forgot how fast people'll throw the first blow in the street
got complacent having only sparred with friends recently.
was socked in the head,
only managed to block the second blow or so
before being knocked to the ground

(to be fair, knocking us off our feet isn't hard when we require a cane or smth to support ourselves most days)
Currently in Louisiana , I'm off the road. Had Hep C an liver cancer. Don't ever forget to be free from the man you have to leave it all behind, each an every time.
Still....in Jax if any kids about
Stuck on paper in idaho, missing the woods and my DK fam