Tent Rain-Fly as Improvised Tarp

sickofitall

Reaction score
I've searched many online stores and DIY sites for a cheap and light weight silnylon tarp. High quality namebrand tarps and tarp tents are just too expensive at the moment for me.

So i have a 7'x10' rain-fly for a dome tent that im going to try and modify for a tarp setup.
The only problem i can forsee is it has no grommet holes on the long 10' sides. IT does have them on the ends and one in the middle of each end.

Its raining today but gonna get out and play with settin it up when it clears. I'll try to get sum pics too.

Has anyone tried this and how did it work for you? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!

Dameon

Reaction score
I've seen people use them, but the main problem is that if you touch them, water comes through, especially the rain flies for those cheap-ass dome tents. I definitely wouldn't burrito up in one, and 7x10 isn't much to set up a shelter with, unless you're really small.

stove

Reaction score
Whistler is right: SilNylon is a more expensive material, most of those cheap-ass flys are made of PU-coated Nylon, which transits water from touch, and generally blows. Grab a SilNylon tarp.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads