Swimmin holes across the USA! | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Swimmin holes across the USA!

Railroadways

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Another super bad ass hot springs/ swimming spot is arizona hot springs bout 5 miles south of the hoover dam on the 90 and a 3 mile hike west thru awesome canyons!
Thru the canyon youll come to the hotsprings spot but if you climb down the ladder and keep following the canyon it opens up to even bigger canyon that the beautiful colorado river is running thru
Great spot to swim

Groundmagnet

Reaction score
We have some cool spots in the Saugerties / Woodstock area of NY. Kaaterskill Falls has a sick spot behind the falls. It's a 2 tier 260' drop. In the middle is the spot. Lots of action from tourists now though on weekends, and the state is making up regulations because people keep falling off from the top of the falls. But, lots of other sick spots in the vicinity.

Reactions: Juan Derlust
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
so so so many in wmass, deerfield river and leeds dam and conway and many many others ! hmu if you're going through the pioneer valley in mass in summer
More Western mass: river Rd in cummington, October lake in Washington, and for the love of God don't swim anywhere in Pittsfield ever bc GE poisoned the water

• Useful

Hylyx

Reaction score
FUck yeah, I just found a few in the direction i'm going. I don't even own a swimsuit though so we'll see how that goes :🐱:

• Love It
Reaction score
Hot springs are abundant near my home in Colorado, San Luis Valley. I always keep an eye out but I rarely see traveling kids come through which is understandable. It can be harsh here, in various ways, in all seasons and it’s barren. There isn’t much here and there are more direct routes to Colorado Springs, Santa Fe, Denver, ABQ, etc.

But if you’re ever in the area, Crestone is a friendly mountain town. There are several trail heads just above which run up 14,000 feet most of which cross ice cold mountain springs if that’s your thing but this trail crosses a few wild hot springs:

(Crestone can be a good place to find trim work too.)

In addition there are a few developed hot springs which require an entrance fee but are right off rt 17 which is the main road North to South through the valley, I’d recommend Hooper Pool.

Also there is a campground called Valley View toward Saguache, up in the hills which is reasonably priced and includes hot springs. Currently they have special restrictions due to COVID so call first.

During the spring snow melt The Great Sand Dunes flood and you can splash around and hike through surreal, breathtaking, landscape.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah...the river slough across the road from my place. Ha! :
swhole3.jpg

But seriously...there are tons of beautiful, special places out in my neck of the woods for swimming holes. Not going to blast their exact location on the internet though.

Here's one such place at the end of a common trail you have to scramble up a dry creek bed and boulder hop to get to this beautiful fucking canyon area of a mountain with 2 waterfalls that have little pools at the base you can cool off in, and also a creek with little holes you can dip in. Most tourists don't know about it cause they turn around at the end of the trail instead of bushwacking a little further.
swhole1.jpg

swhole2.jpg

swhole4.jpg

• Love It
Reactions: mrose

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
We have 4 major rivers in this area (good for floating or white water rafting) and more creeks than you can count with tons of little hidden out of the way swimming holes to enjoy.
river1.jpg
river2.jpg
river3.jpg

• Love It
Reactions: squamo and mrose
Reaction score
San Marcos, Texas

Just south of Austin in San Marcos, the San Marcos river and in particular the dam area just downstream of Aquarena Springs. The glass Bottom boat tours at Aquarena Springs is worth checking out as well! In the upper reaches of the river, the temperature stays 72 Deg. F. year round.

Gin

Reaction score
Here's one I went to on my recent trip up the coast.
This is salmon creek up in big sur about 10 mi south of gorda and about 5 north of ragged point.

View attachment 24670

View attachment 24671
(The waterfall that goes to the pond below)

View attachment 24672
(Cool rock formations to climb around in the surrounding area)

This is one of my favorite places in big sur. The water was fairly cold with little fishes swimming around but its right off the highway and was nice to take a dip after a long walk. There's also hiking trails around that area that lead to camps, so before or after a hike you can go for a swim.

This used to be my favorite place in the world back in the 60s&70s💚

sevedemanos

Reaction score
couple summers ago i went out looking for trim work in norcal. layed over at myrtle creek on the smith a few days. was watching people dive in off the 20-30 foot cliffs. the water was gorgeous.

41.80091° N, 124.05474° W

Attachments

• 0B96E2D1-2892-4B67-BA44-24D201F12D4C.jpeg
    0B96E2D1-2892-4B67-BA44-24D201F12D4C.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: mrose and Gin

mrose

Reaction score
Yeah...the river slough across the road from my place. Ha! :
View attachment 58052

But seriously...there are tons of beautiful, special places out in my neck of the woods for swimming holes. Not going to blast their exact location on the internet though.

Here's one such place at the end of a common trail you have to scramble up a dry creek bed and boulder hop to get to this beautiful fucking canyon area of a mountain with 2 waterfalls that have little pools at the base you can cool off in, and also a creek with little holes you can dip in. Most tourists don't know about it cause they turn around at the end of the trail instead of bushwacking a little further.
View attachment 58053
View attachment 58054
View attachment 58055

I wonder what state this is in

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads