STP treehouse commune?

CooperBoo

Reaction score
i guess we really cant do much now except set up a date to meet and to go over some shit.
we can come up with cool shit to add to it, like certain types of rooms, and cool add ons to keep our motivation up.

how about a green room?
crows nest?

it would be cool if we found someone whos had plumbing experience, we could feed the ravine water to certain parts of the commune maybe even filter it in some way.

P

Pheonix

living of the land is not as easy as you think, that's why I stress the fact that you should still have a way to get to civilization to leach off them for supplies. I wouldn't call my place out in the middle of nowhere (but it sure feels that way) it's in a small town of 200 people, 1 intersection and no police dept. (you like that one don't you I know I do it was a deciding factor in buying this place) the water situation is gathering pond water, filtering it through a pillow case then boiling it. the biggest animal you will be able to hunt on my land is coon and there are catfish in the pond but if you fish the pond I highly suggest fishing nearby rivers as well to restock the pond (you don't want to deplete a major food source) also for food I get $200 a month in food stamps and you probly could too but the nearest place that exepts them is 7 miles away. as for growing weed oklahoma law in the worst for weed possession first offence any amount is a misdermeter and a slap on the wrist but the second offence is a felony that carries a max of life in prison (but if it's a small amount I doubt they will throw the book at you unless you piss them off but still how fucked up is that) and the choppers fly over my property all the time looking for weed. so I suggest spanging for a bag as opposed to growing it also oklahoma has some crap weed the only time I got dank was either by having a friend bring some from ohio or going to colorado to get some. If you can build a still I don't think there will be to much a problem they more look for the people selling it then just consuming it. your treehouse idea soounds nice but you need to realize that's you need to be a good architect to come up with a good design (how mush weight can the tree support? how do I brace the house? will it hurt or even kill the tree? and unless you plan on buying new lumber you won't be able to salvage lumber good enough for supports and braces) sorry I do like the treehouse idea but I'm trying to be realistic here. like I stated before I have a 4 room squat that just needs minor cleaning and window boarding. also any good survival book will give you good ideas for a shelter. i'm throwing out stuff to consider cause I don't want you to be totally unprepared.

P

Pheonix

I do have running water but I don't pay the bills my roommate does and he won't let everyone benefit from the utilities unless they help pay for them

CooperBoo

Reaction score
living of the land is not as easy as you think, that's why I stress the fact that you should still have a way to get to civilization to leach off them for supplies. I wouldn't call my place out in the middle of nowhere (but it sure feels that way) it's in a small town of 200 people, 1 intersection and no police dept. (you like that one don't you I know I do it was a deciding factor in buying this place) the water situation is gathering pond water, filtering it through a pillow case then boiling it. the biggest animal you will be able to hunt on my land is coon and there are catfish in the pond but if you fish the pond I highly suggest fishing nearby rivers as well to restock the pond (you don't want to deplete a major food source) also for food I get $200 a month in food stamps and you probly could too but the nearest place that exepts them is 7 miles away. as for growing weed oklahoma law in the worst for weed possession first offence any amount is a misdermeter and a slap on the wrist but the second offence is a felony that carries a max of life in prison (but if it's a small amount I doubt they will throw the book at you unless you piss them off but still how fucked up is that) and the choppers fly over my property all the time looking for weed. so I suggest spanging for a bag as opposed to growing it also oklahoma has some crap weed the only time I got dank was either by having a friend bring some from ohio or going to colorado to get some. If you can build a still I don't think there will be to much a problem they more look for the people selling it then just consuming it. your treehouse idea soounds nice but you need to realize that's you need to be a good architect to come up with a good design (how mush weight can the tree support? how do I brace the house? will it hurt or even kill the tree? and unless you plan on buying new lumber you won't be able to salvage lumber good enough for supports and braces) sorry I do like the treehouse idea but I'm trying to be realistic here. like I stated before I have a 4 room squat that just needs minor cleaning and window boarding. also any good survival book will give you good ideas for a shelter. i'm throwing out stuff to consider cause I don't want you to be totally unprepared.

i dont have construction experience, but i do have former treehouse building experience. but yeah i would like to find someone that could draw up plans for this, i really think we could make this treehouse thing work, we wouldnt just use one tree, the more trees we use the more supported it would be, also we would have ground levels that wouldnt put so much weight on the trees since it'll be a big factor in supporting the higher levels.
i dont know, until we actually find someone that is willing to draw up plans, i think focus on the cool add ons.

a balcony over the ravine?

xbocax

Reaction score
damn ive been of this for toooo long uhm Santa Cruz is pretty sweet if you get deep in the forest you wont get hastled. I saw dirtyfacedan post a picture of a guy in i believe that area that made some sort of dome house, I know ive seen at least one persons thread here that said they currently reside in the santa cruz forests. Santa Cruz is awesome because its a town surrounded by forest and also a college town where you can get kick downs from students. I currently personally know about 3 people up there that would probably be able to help as well

CooperBoo

Reaction score
im for santa cruz as well, that sounds pretty sweet, i heard they have some massive trees in that area too? and the collage town area definitely sounds like an ideal place to spange, dumpster, scam, and shit.

xbocax

Reaction score
yah they have redwoods the cliche i can stand straight up in a hole at the bottom of the tree

BUMJUG

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
carefull with them deep santa cruz forrests...the last time i was trampling round there i found some small old pot growing operations and hear rumor of many more...haha there are some amazing lil huts in the forrests up there..... i think a really helpfull suggestion to your project would be to make your "commune" on the map and available to travellin folk...that way there may be a constant influx of thought and supplies geared toward your project....if your in santa cruz i will def stop by...haha

menu

Reaction score
I would be careful where you're tromping around in the woods in NorCal, some farmers up in them woods don't take kindly to such things.

def in the emerald triangle. might get your wig split

DCLXVI

Reaction score
A treehouse is going to be much colder than a ground construction, something you should consider if you're going to be in a region prone to cold winters and ice storms. I'd be willing to put in some work on a project like this, if I can see the support for it.

joemojave

Reaction score
If you are serrious about a commune, I would scrap the treehouse idea unless you want to spend a LOT of money on archtects plans and lumber and a long time building it. Instead, I would suggest either straw bale, or rammed eartch construction depending on what is available. Rammed earth uses blocks made by compressing common dirt. The tool used is called a CINVA ram and costs at least 1000 bucks, but if sombody knows how to weld well they can make one. I am taking welding classes, but I am not yet good enough to make a CINVA ram that wont break. straw bale works well in areas that grow straw producing crops because you can get bales of straw for free. Basicly you pile the bales (each one is 100lbs+) like bricks into walls and then you hammer sections re rebar through them to pin them togethor. Then you put a thick coat of stucco over the whole thing. The cool thing about these techniques is that they both use free materials, they both stay at confortable temperatures, and neither requires much building experiance.

Although I am just 17, I do have some first hand experiance with both of these methods, although I have never worked a an entire house. I have some time this summer that I could dedicate to this project, but only if other people are dedicated to making it work, which I somewhat doubt.

If you have any questions about building/plumbing/electrical techniques just ask. I also know how to build wind turbines and passive heating and cooling systems, plus I can make technicle drawings if we decide to comply with code. I look forward to watching this thread develope.

ApiCutter

Reaction score
I saw mention of plumbers... I'm trying to get an apprentice ship (for right now i dont wanna do this shit for long) through a local Pipe Fitters union, (they do plumbing and all sorts of stupid shit like that im a certified welder) Maybe if you guys don't have that plumbing system figured out and when I finally hit the road if you guys dont have stuff set up I could help some.

I honestly want to work my ass off save up fucking money, and just drop the fuck out and fund what ever kind of project, like this one. Mind you this is more than a few years down the road.

brobro!

Reaction score
this shits awsome. ive had similar thoughts on living in the woods. im down to come out and help build some shit whenver you guys get started

Mr. Expendable

Reaction score
If it's in cali, you got a location and you got building supplies kit me up and ill come down... manual labor for shanty towns is nothing new to me.... but everyone has to go all out lost boys style when it's done with face paint and feathers..(i mean the neverland lost boys not the vampire ones).... that would be the greatest thing in the world to me

Dishka8643

Reaction score
I love the idea of living high in the trees, but in reality, it poses some serious health dangers and logistical challenges. A shelter like that would be expensive and time consuming to build. You would need lots of high quality lumber, hundreds of large nails or screws, Ladders, lots of wood working tools, ropes and harnesses, healthy strong trees, good growing conditions so that the trees can heal and not die of disease, and sound architecture designs, and thousands of hours of labor.

From a survival perspective, when you are high up like that, you are more exposed to the wind, rain, and sun. This would not only make living conditions more difficult, but also wear out your shelter and equipment. During a high wind storm, there is a possibility of branches breaking above you and damaging some part of the structure. I think that a treehouse would require a lot of maintenance.

You should also consider how difficult & hazardous it would be to constantly move yourself and supplies in and out of the treehouse; especially during icy conditions and at night. (or drunk) Most of a person's daily routine takes place on the ground, so having to climb a ladder to access your shelter and possessions would require a lot of energy. In a wilderness self-reliance situation, you want to conserve as much energy as you can and avoid taking unnecessary risks.

I think the treehouse is a cool idea, but it would definitely require a lot of forethought and planning to work safely and effectively.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads