Storm kettles | Squat the Planet

Storm kettles

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
77-456.f.jpg

Have anyone ever used these? They have a small fireplace at the bottom and the smokestack goes through the water container part, heating it up all the way. These are sold by Lehmans, which specialize in old timey stuff, but are super expensive about $100.

I'm thinking about making something like this, but modifying it to be able to cook as well as boil water, since it seems super handy to have something that can use wood to cook stuff in an indoorish place.

Labea

Reaction score
im going to be myself and say this somewhat resembles a bong

sounds like a good idea though, when i was traveling i just ate trash and baked beans, cooking GOOD food would be a nice change...

if its an old time thing, and thats why its expensive, then are there any modern forms of this that might be less pricey? hmm...

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I think they're expensive because only one company makes them. The design is old but not old enough for civil war buffs to use. I haven't found any modern versions of this that use wood- there's the propane jet-boil system. You could make this with lead-free solder and tin cans or copper fittings and pipe.

The beer can stove needs alcohol to work, if I were really into that, I'd have one of these things:
Picture%201146.jpg

It's called a mucket (like the clam-like shellfish) and has an hinged lid and a handy handle to hang it over fires. This design is old enough for civil war buffs to buy and use. They run from 20-35 bucks, the more expensive ones having a folding mug handle.

eightstring

Reaction score
77-456.f.jpg

Have anyone ever used these? They have a small fireplace at the bottom and the smokestack goes through the water container part, heating it up all the way. These are sold by Lehmans, which specialize in old timey stuff, but are super expensive about $100.

one of those kettles was given to me a few years ago from lee valley. their called Kelly kettles due to their origins on Irish fishing boats. anyhow, i don't use it often as its large, requires to be constantly topped up with more twigs and whatnot and just impractical to take with me. it stays at my folk's with some other gear i use for semi-permanent camping now and then. i just make a stove out of a coffee can, some cardboard and dumpster grease when in a city. their not so hot that you cant boil water in a glass bottle, not for the short of patience.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads