Starting my rubber tramp travels | Squat the Planet

Starting my rubber tramp travels

kylethree8

Reaction score
What's up StP. Been reading the forums for awhile before becoming a member, figured I'd join in on the fun.

My names Kyle, I'm just starting out on the on the road with my less than perfect truck ( we'll see how far it takes me ha) done some short term travels but I plan to be out and about as long as possible now. currently I'm in northern KY on a wwoof farm, not a huge fan of the wwoof system, but I was ready to get out and get on the road quick and it seemed like a viable start... My plan is to head down to TN in April and take it from there. Hope to make some new conections on StP maybe figure out where to go. -Kyle

D

Deleted member 125

welcome to stp.

what farm are you on in ky and whats the work/exchange at the place yer at right now? some woof places are really rad but alot of em are kinda sketch and pretty much just take advantage of people.

kylethree8

Reaction score
welcome to stp.

what farm are you on in ky and whats the work/exchange at the place yer at right now? some woof places are really rad but alot of em are kinda sketch and pretty much just take advantage of people.

The name of the farm is red sunflower farm, it's a small homestead farm. I get all the food I Need, my own sleeping quarters with electric, heat and wifi in the upstairs of a barn. It's kinda like a fucking bed and breakfast, pretty comfortable... Better acomadations than I got when I was renting a house ha. ( I was honestly hoping for a bit more primitive but hell I'll take it!). In exchange for working around 6 hours Mon -Thurs. yeah I can for sure see the system being abused by farms for free labor. But I don't see that happening in my stay here fortunately. I don't take any shit though so I wasn't worried about being over worked anyway.

Reactions: Sameer

kylethree8

Reaction score
I'll be heading out soon in my less than perfect Jeep. Trying to make BC and then SoCal. Best of luck mate!

Nice! Safe travels man. Not sure if they have this product up that way but I've recently used "seafoam" on my truck it's a cleaner (literally cleans about everything inside your motor) you can put it in the gas tank, mix with oil or spray in the carb. I did all three, and I can honestly notice a fair difference in how my trucks been running since I used it. I would highly suggest it to anyone trying to get road ready.

Reactions: Robie

Sameer

Reaction score
Think about coming out to the Southwest someday........ good luck to you..... peace and happiness!

Reactions: FromNowhere
D

Deleted member 19100

@kylethree8 Yeah I did a variation of it. Don't worry if you get a check engine light afterwards, it's just the sensors picking up all the carbon being cleaned out. Jeeps are always breaking down though, can't be helped haha. When are you heading out? I have exactly 2 weeks to go! :D

kylethree8

Reaction score
@kylethree8 Yeah I did a variation of it. Don't worry if you get a check engine light afterwards, it's just the sensors picking up all the carbon being cleaned out. Jeeps are always breaking down though, can't be helped haha. When are you heading out? I have exactly 2 weeks to go! :D

My check engine light is always on haha. What kind of jeep do you have? I'm already out and about, started at the beginning of this month.

kylethree8

Reaction score
Lol! I own a bluetooth scanner, if we ever cross paths I'll clear those codes for ya! 1998 Jeep TJ 2.5L (4 cylinder) 5 speed.

Thanks haha, is it like a phone app or what? Nice! I'm Rollin with a 1997 2.0L 4cyl 5speed Chevy s10 it doesn't have much ass behind it but it's got four wheels that spin so I can't complain

D

Deleted member 19100

Yeah it plugs into your car, then you download an app and it'll tell you all the info that a mechanic has. You can clear codes with it too. $12 US isn't too bad.

Right on! Do you have a bed cap on it? I'm thinking about upgrading to a pickup or a van next year.

kylethree8

Reaction score

Yeah it plugs into your car, then you download an app and it'll tell you all the info that a mechanic has. You can clear codes with it too. $12 US isn't too bad.

Right on! Do you have a bed cap on it? I'm thinking about upgrading to a pickup or a van next year.

I think I've got an Amazon card laying around somewhere I might buy that just to check it out! Yeah I've got the cap on it and a camping mattress in the back, I've got plans to make the bed a bit more livable and put some storage stuff in it soon. might not be a bad idea to "upgrade". That TJ probably doesn't have much sleeping room does it?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 311
D

Deleted member 19100

Yeah it could give you info that could help you improve your gas mileage. Nope not a lot of sleeping room.. and I travel with my 75lb dog. I tilt the passenger seat forward, put my pack on the driver's seat, roll out my sleeping stuff and sleep at a 45' with my back against the tilted seat. My dog curls up in a ball beside me.

FromNowhere

Reaction score
Thanks haha, is it like a phone app or what? Nice! I'm Rollin with a 1997 2.0L 4cyl 5speed Chevy s10 it doesn't have much ass behind it but it's got four wheels that spin so I can't complain
Most autoparts stores will have an OBDII unit that they can run on your vehicle for free and give you the codes. Then maybe you will have a better idea as to what is going on.

• Useful
Reactions: kylethree8

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads