Staff Housing | Squat the Planet

Staff Housing

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
Reaction score
Website
www.instragram.com
Got a summer job here in BC working shit hours (2pm-11pm/11pm-730am shifts) and am living in staff accommodation.

Won't go into detail, but the situation here is getting pretty fucked.

Does anyone know much about tenants rights in Canada when it comes to staff housing?

I only need to be here until October, but I can't leave until then (no money and dont know anyone here). The boss may fire/evict me if I make any complaint (I know he legally can't, but I don't have the means to fight it, and he's done it to people before).

Hope that made sense, I've barely slept since Tuesday afternoon.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i don't know canada law at all, but i don't think you have the same rights as a rent-paying tenant in that situation. i would need more details to tell you for sure.

roughdraft

Reaction score
you aren't willing to sleep in yr vehicle?

definitely looking for more details

SOMEONE is paying for your accommodation so they should be concerned if some workers are fucking up the sleeping environment for other workers such as yourself - that's bad for business- know what i mean?

Drengor

Reaction score
I'm pretty well versed in Ontario's tenant rights, and I helped a friend look up the rules when she worked for a hotel out in Banff for a season. Unfortunately your accommodation agreement will most certainly have a clause about it being conditional on your employment. The legal specifics will likely give you zero notice of eviction on a termination with cause (termination without cause usually comes with two weeks pay/notice). In Ontario precedent has been set for 14 days to be considered reasonable time for you to vacate any place, so you won't get longer than that when you have to leave, but you may not even get 48h.

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
Reaction score
Website
www.instragram.com
Thanks everyone and sorry for the lack of replies.

Got everything to a point I'm content with - they putting me up in the hotel I work up after my overnight shifts and giving me a month rent free. Honestly expected to lose my job for bringing up issues.

Guess this status was just born from anger, frustration and not knowing enough about how shit works on this side of the globe.

2 months and 5 days until I'm outta here and properly back on the road anyhow.

Cheers again for yer words!

Reactions: Dmac

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads