Squatting Businesses in America, Stupid?

F

FrumpyWatkins

There is a KMart near my house that has been shuttered for years. Squatting it is probably a felony waiting to happen right? or is it doable.

Depending on the jurisdiction and your intent (based on the judgement of the responding authorities) entering any building could result in a felony charge.

If it is truly an unused commercial site, I doubt you would get more than a slap on the wrist trespassing charge, if not just told to leave. That's if you don't destroy anything or steal anything. The problem with big unused buildings is there is a lot of ground to cover and you could be blamed for damage done by someone else (vandalism and shit).

Go scope it out.

A

AlwaysLost

Depending on the jurisdiction and your intent (based on the judgement of the responding authorities) entering any building could result in a felony charge.

If it is truly an unused commercial site, I doubt you would get more than a slap on the wrist trespassing charge, if not just told to leave. That's if you don't destroy anything or steal anything. The problem with big unused buildings is there is a lot of ground to cover and you could be blamed for damage done by someone else (vandalism and shit).

Go scope it out.

Thanks man!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads