Squattheplanet is to crusties as facebook is everyone else

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
Flashinglights just confirmed my suspicions - that the more complicated this gets, the more complicated it's gonna get. I;m keeping it simple for the time being, just wordpress, an SMF forum (very likely to be upgraded soon), and an embedded google map strikingly similar to the one you've got at punknomad, actually. I'm trying to work a greatly-expanded Destinations section into that kind of interface - having a detailed description of places and things in cities around hte country, accessible through the map. Things are looking good; I want to get some hard content up before dropping it on people though.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Flashinglights just confirmed my suspicions - that the more complicated this gets, the more complicated it's gonna get. I;m keeping it simple for the time being, just wordpress, an SMF forum (very likely to be upgraded soon), and an embedded google map strikingly similar to the one you've got at punknomad, actually. I'm trying to work a greatly-expanded Destinations section into that kind of interface - having a detailed description of places and things in cities around hte country, accessible through the map. Things are looking good; I want to get some hard content up before dropping it on people though.

are you using the geo mashup plugin for wordpress? it's neat.

in regards to my other post, it would actually be a lot easier to maintain those three pieces of software (wordpress, buddypress, bbpress), since they were all designed by wordpress folks, and were designed from the get-go to tightly integrate with each other. also, the update process for plugins in wordpress is stupid-easy.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
are you sayin that on top of being a message board forum thing...stp could also be a host website for peoples blogs?......that would be awesome because you could visit this site and it would still be the forums but there could be a whole part/list of peoples own personal blogs all in one place?.....that would definitely make it easy to share your own personal shit with folks.....then in your own blog or whatnot you could have stuff like specific train info or picture albums or whatnot that isnt really on the message boards...

exactly. this is something ive been dreaming about for stp for quite some time. it has a huge amount of potential. everyone would be free to post whatever they want on their blogs (including train stuff). im also fairly sure you could mark your blog as "private" so it doesn't show up on google searches if you want that kind of thing.

also, you would only need one login/pass. so just logging in once will give you access to all parts of the site.

Reactions: EphemeralStick

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
are you using the geo mashup plugin for wordpress? it's neat.

in regards to my other post, it would actually be a lot easier to maintain those three pieces of software (wordpress, buddypress, bbpress), since they were all designed by wordpress folks, and were designed from the get-go to tightly integrate with each other. also, the update process for plugins in wordpress is stupid-easy.

Matt - Those 3 sound pretty promising. I'll take a look and figure out what segues with the concept the best, but I'll definitely consider switching to BBPress...SMF is so-so at best.

At the moment I'm using the Google Maps Placemarks plugin to do the destinations section, but I like that you have different colors for the markers - is that intentional? It'd be great to have different categories, e.g. Free Food, Place to Sleep, Cool Shit You Have To See, etc...

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
yeah i think it assigns different colors for each category the post is in. i haven't gone too in depth into the documentation yet. i did a new site design on punknomad.com though.

E

Earth

ok, the last part of this reply caught me off-guard:

"the only way to find what your looking for is to ask. if you dont like it here then dont get on. with time everything changes like it or not. its called life. "

REALLY??

E

Earth

Seriously though, It's probably good that some of that stuff is gone - only because "this type of thing" has suddenly become very trendy, and (to me) that's bad.

Once something gets popular, its finished.

Too many "____" get into this for the wrong reasons...

- and regarding my previous comment, I'm in full agreement with the first part of what she wrote: ASK...

Now, regarding asking.... especially something 'sensitive/classified' - someone asked somewhere else if it's still possible to PM here, and I honestly don't know.
That would be a good feature to bring back - but then again - I guess if someone's on line viewing this - then they probably have email as well...

I actually like this new site better.

I view it as something with less options (for me) and I've always viewed less as more, so this is a good thing.
I occasionally glance at the topics here as soon as the page loads, and that's about it.

If I have something to add, I do - otherwise I keep quiet as I'm older and no longer have anything to prove.

The last version had that chatbox running all the time, and that got me in some serious hot water more than once - so I'm glad I no longer see that :)

Either way, S.T.P. is still the best forum going for this type of thing.
Matt Pist Rules!!

Nelco

Reaction score
are you not guilty of the same thing you accuse me of? it just goes around with an disposition like that. pointless fact stated.
i wasn't the one pointing it out and i'm guilty of a lot of things.
once again
whats your point?

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
yeah i think it assigns different colors for each category the post is in. i haven't gone too in depth into the documentation yet. i did a new site design on punknomad.com though.

Awesome: Future reference, Google Basic Placemarks plugin works this way, the one you use might too - set a different image as the "featured image" for the post, and that will be the placemark on the map. That means it's 100% customizable on a post-by-post basis.

Teko

rooted
StP Supporter
Reaction score
this is stp for me. interaction & information.
this discussion revived that for me. good to hear all the people.

shabti

Reaction score
this website barely sustains its usefulness above just another social networking website(ie facebook, myspace, twitter)

yeah, I TOTALLY come on here to harvest my crops in farmville.

• Haha
Reactions: Matt Derrick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads