Somewhat of a question . . .

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I'm in SoCal and getting a car soon looking forward to a drive possibly as far north as Washington peninsula And am pissed off at movies like the goonies where they show driving on the coastal beaches of Oregon and into the wild where Raimey, Jan and Chris drove the camper onto beach and popped a tent and had a fire.
I don't know myself offhand anywhere on the west coast that you can drive+camp+/-camp fire right on the fucking beach. I will wing it if I have to but if someone has more experience with coastal rubber tramping I'm sure I would not be the only one grateful for hints or flat out exposure of nooks and beach camping locations. Me personally - I wouldn't fuck up/blow up said nooks.
goonies16.jpg

Mustang-camping.jpg

I ain't going to fucking Texas just to camp on there beaches.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
On second thought the only place that I know of that comes close is Big Sur but so far as I know there is no motor vehicle beach access points and getting caught with a fire is serious trouble.

christianarchy

Reaction score
I had a lot of trouble driving up the coast and finding places to park a car and sleep. HWY 1 (which you should fucking take, it's beautiful) has No Camping and No Overnight Parking signs everywhere! We ditched the car and hitched and it was a lot easier.
In my opinion your best bet is to park in a small coastal town, walk <a mile out of town and find a lo pro area to pitch a tent, be it on the beach or not.
Hwy 1 is perfect for that, it's fucking great, you should definitely take it, lots of cool towns along the way. Fires are kinda a case-by-case thing.

Ditch the car and stick out your thumb on hwy 1!

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I been traveling by heel and steel for almost 8 months now and I am sick of being dropped off in shitholes and having to walk with dead batterys in my music box.
I've driven hwy 1 betwixt LA and San Fran but not north of the bay area, thats my goal at least to Portland, maybe further north this time we'll see how it goes - just godda get a fucking car first!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
have you thought of driving up to alaska this summer? pretty sure you're not gonna get hassled there to build campfires on the beaches :)

uncivilize

Reaction score
If you can tolerate a bunch of fucktards from the Central Valley, you can go to Pismo Beach/Oceano Dunes, just know your vehicle/skills and don't get stuck out there.

J

Johnny P

That pic of Mustang Island in TX has to be photoshopped! I wa sjust camping there and it is windy. SO windy that you have to put the fire into a 2ft hole in the ground. HAHA

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads