Solo Female Travelers | Squat the Planet

Solo Female Travelers

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
591-599 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94610, USA
So Ive found that there is an extremely important conversation that we need to have with our wonderful community.
Before I begin with this discussion, I want to point out a few disclaimers:

1.) I am a cis-male, and I can only speak from my own personal experience with road dogs and opinions ive heard from female-bodied or cis/trans-female people ive traveled with or had the pleasure of meeting on the road. As a cis-male, my first and foremost opinion on the subject is that whatever I say has very little standing to anyone who is otherwise and
what they have to say on the subject.

2.) Can we please not make this another dude ran discussion? Lets hear what the female bodied people in our
community and culture have to say? Past this, unless I am directly communicated with by a female bodied individual I will keep my mouth shut (or rather my fingers still.)

Now that we have that out of the way, lets get to the point..

Can we please stop with this sexist double standard against solo female travelers? Yes, I acknowledge that female bodied people are more likely to experience harassment or "cat calling." Yes, I realize that traveling alone is more dangerous at times than traveling in a group or with a road dog. But can we all stop trying to act like female bodied people are not capable of defending themselves? Can we stop telling these people that they should go find a male to defend them? Can we stop perpetuating this idea that females are less capable of learning the ropes on their own? Ive never met ONE female bodied person on the road that agrees with this view. Ive personally never met one female bodied person that has been raped based on being on the road alone, the only people ive met that HAVE been violently assaulted it was either by the male they were travelling with, happened when they were younger and not travelling, or were in a group of asshole
guys that were too drunk to help their road dog. In fact, Ive met many more male bodied travelers that had been violently assaulted whether it be sexual assault, robbery, or because we cis-males seem to not know when to stop talking shit before we get hit. I dont like to perpetuate sexism in either direction but lets face it, female bodied people tend to be a lot better at asserting their danger and escaping potentially dangerous situations. They also have way more experience in fighting off aggressive males.

So, the most important thing i want to say here: Any female bodied green horns or people who plan on travelling keep this in mind; BEING HOMELESS CAN BE DANGEROUS. NO. MATTER. WHAT. You can be as armed and prepared or have the biggest dick in the world and you will still be assessing risks and having to keep yourself safe and healthy. NO matter what gender you identify with or have been assigned, you would be better off finding someone to show you the ropes for the simple fact that the last thing you need to be worrying about is yuppies or people with negative intentions because honestly, if youre smart about it, you will encounter very few of these individuals. Theyd rather go fuck with some helpless yup than
fuck with a hardened punker or houseless folk. DO NOT LET THESE FUCKING DUDES DISCOURAGE YOU FROM DOING WHAT YOU WANT!

Youre biggest threats are exposure, police violence, discrimination against your lifestyle, and natural threats (disease, animals, unprepared camping, ect.) Just because youre female bodied does not mean you need a male to help you, an experienced female traveler might actually be a significantly better choice as they will understand your personal struggle much better than a male traveler.

To every dude in our culture putting these woman down, fuck you. This is not ideology, this is creating a world and culture in which these people who are our EQUALS no longer feel as if they need to depend on men for protection, education, purpose, or financial support. Dont be a sexist. Dont be one of the men who perpetuate this culture where woman are viewd as less capable, or I might just introduce you to one of the many solo female travelers who could easily beat your ass.

JUST STOP ALREADY.
Female Power! Stay strong and travel hard ladies!

Now lets hear their views!

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Can we stop telling these people that they should go find a male to defend them? Can we stop perpetuating this idea that females are less capable of learning the ropes on their own? Ive never met ONE female bodied person on the road that agrees with this view.

I've never met a person who agrees with that view. Anyone who believed that, I would have to say is an idiot. I am sorry to hear that you have ever met anyone who believed that (have you?).

And I agree that there are many women more capable of defending themselves on the road than a whole lot of men, and Ive met traveling couples for which that was the case. From my experience (about 200,000 miles hitchhiked, alone and with others) I prefer not to travel by hitchhiking, i recommend motorized bicycle and other methods (trains can be safer if you put a lot of effort into safety) . I prefer not to hitchhike with only myself and one girl, nothing against them, it sucks because when I hitchhiked, the creepiness factor of who picked me up, the amount of sheer WIERDos was greatly amplified when i traveled with a couple different women. It felt like it made a risky activity even riskier, and that saddened me.

I feel for their struggles on the road which were greater than mine in that regard.

Youre biggest threats are exposure, police violence, discriminationagainst your lifestyle, and natural threats (disease, animals,unprepared camping, ect.)

Disease is a big one in tropical countries. Youre biggest threats are car accidents, wear your seatbelt and always look around and be aware of traffic on foot. Another lesser, but big threat is nefarious people. Bears can be dangerous, but Ive been face to face with several, they never tried to kill me like people did.

Last edited:
Reactions: AAAutin and Minnie

Oddy

Reaction score
Honestly, as a woman I actually find that being on the road is sometimes easier and you get treated better when you're not travelling with guys. In a lot of cases (not all) where I've experienced situations getting dodgy is because of men getting agro with each other. Also the sexism is really surprising in this community and it gets pretty tiring hearing the same male dominated discussions in threads about women travelling solo. We can do better.

AaronOnTheRoad

Reaction score
I did a little traveling with a transgender. I might have sounded like a bigot or homophobic but i wanted him to know the truth. I told him they aren't going to pick us up with them shorts youre wearing. She got mad and said i don't wanna hitch with you any more.

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
I hope my cis-male interruption will be forgiven by this female-written article (What men need to know about women who travel solo)

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
I want to point out that you are not interrupting and as usual with your posts i think that was an awesome contribution @WanderLost Radical so please dont take this statement directly towards you (especislly considering that it was a very good article written by a female.) I thank you for this contribution!

But peeps, will some female bodied people please give your opinions on this? I think itll be very constructive to the growth of our community.

Minnie

Reaction score
I’ve been solo hitching since I was 15. the guy who first showed me the ropes of hitching was an absolute fucking creep. i got stuck in a horrible hippie hole costal hub and several different men gave me the trade secrets of being a rugrat street rat from dumpstering, setting up a good camp, street safety, how to use a knife to storytelling and listening. these were invaluble lessons of saftey that could only be shared by another empathetic human bean.

i’ve been on and off the road since then. mostly settled the past year except a trip every few months. I’ve only had one bad experience and it was intense and violent. the most trouble i believe is when you settle down wherever the destination is.

i don’t think i agree personally with ...
but lets face it, female bodied people tend to be a lot better at asserting their danger and escaping potentially dangerous situations. They also have way more experience in fighting off aggressive males.
BC I've found from the experiences of the women ive talked to extensively on this subject, both surviver/victim or not and both solo traveler or not, seem most likely to fall back on flight and freeze. each time i, personally, get hit on by someone im hitching with i initially freeze with fear. my whole life i was conditioned to run or scream for help. a very small percentage of women are taught self defence at a young age. ive spent years overcoming that and to just be able to say 'no'. its very very subjective. on no way do i speak for any other woman who's suffered at the hand of another human. i mean, fuck we live in a time much better than fucking 100, 50, even 20 years ago.

another thing to keep in mind is the ratio of women to men on the road solo when addressing crime according to sex.

http://vawnet.org/sites/default/files/materials/files/2016-09/AR_SAHomelessness.pdf paper on sexual assault for homeless ciswomen vs housed ciswomen. not exactly what youre asking/commenting on. but this shines some light on the risks of homelessness.
A study sponsored by the National Institute of Drug Abuse showed that 41 percent of a randomly selected sample of 460 women staying in homeless shelters had been sexually abused by an adult before age 18.

my greatest threat is not the chance of natural disaster, being a privileged white young cis female with blue fucking eyes living in COLONIAL australia i DO NOT live with the fear of police brutality. im very lucky that 1/2 the cars that pick me up are people who say 'i have never picked up a hitch hiker before' ive had old couples open their home to me. solo fem traveller is as equal good as bad i believe. being alone with a man or woman who has picked me up from the middle of buttfuck when im my most vulnerable is v risky. DONT GO ALONE ON DRUGS OR WITH NO CLUE WHAT YOURE DOING

I know ive got some really good zines stashed somewhere on this topic.. ill attatch when i find them. but yeh

edit.. also dont belittle the fears of women who dont feel safe alone. i reckon the type of mentality of you dont need a protector you can DO IT YOURSELF can --possibly-- be counterproductive and --possibly-- feed into 'your fault' attacks.. not sayin thats what youre trying to say. just be extra aware that PTSD and furthermore C-PTSD is gut twistingly an intangible condition to begin to understand.

Last edited:

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for your input @Minnie ! Sorry to hear about your violent experience and i hope youre doing ok!

Just want to point out that i also have PTSD and i dont believe that is a direct result of experiences that are gender based but something a lot of travelers and houseless folk have based on discrimination of the lifestyle and the violence associated with such. I also want to make it VERY well known i am not downgrading the female struggle.

I also wanna say that i said specifically violence assosiated to solo female travelers, i believe the causality of females experienceing sexual violence specifically before the age of 18 leads to homelessness rather than the other way around.

Again, im a male. Your experience is significanlty more solid than my opinion.

Nice to hear a females view on the subject. It sucks the majority of responses have been by men so far.

Thanks again for sharing your experience and im excited to hear more.

marmar

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I 've done my fare share of hitchhiking before I moved into my van. There were a couple of creeper truckers, where one was trying to propose politely to me and my roaddog, who was also a girl, we said fuck no he left and we laughed. But when I was with a male roaddog another time, a trucker asked HIM if I was available. So that was pretty offensive. Like hanging with a male at a truck stop automatically made us a hooker and her pimp in their eyes.
Other then that, I agree with the people above, that more of fucked up and sexist crap comes from males travellers when you travel.
Travelling solo in the van, it's very common to deal with mechanics and their sexism. But again, when i have a dude in my van it geta worse. Like he is just tagging alone in the van, and i drive, I ask the mechanic all the fuckin questions and he d look at and talk to the dude, not me.
So for instance, If you are a dude in that kind of situation, the best thing you can do is NoT play along with the sexist shit, dont act like you are in charge where you arent really, just because you are percived as the leader of the team based on your sex, but point out to that guy that you are not in charge and the car belongs to the WOMAN. If you are the sexism fighter then do the right thing

benton

Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

Cisgender (often abbreviated to simply cis) is a term for people whose gender identity matches the sex that they were assigned at birth. Cisgender may also be defined as those who have "a gender identity or perform a gender role society considers appropriate for one's sex".[1] It is the opposite of the term transgender.[2]

• Useful
Reactions: Coywolf

XlilyX

Reaction score
Website
hashbone.bandcamp.com
In this context it seems to be someone whose experiences are considered less valid on this thread on the basis of their sexual orientation and gender being too majority or mainstream

Well, the context is a thread asking female travelers for their opinions, so yeah. Cis male opinions aren't really being sought after here . Nothing to do with sexual orientation however. Not trying to be a jerk, just thought I caught some indignant overtones here. Maybe a misinterpretation.

So cis mean a male? I don't get it....

Talking to three women one my mom. No one knows what cis male is. So sis male means being a male?

What is a cis male?

As Benton said, cis (cisgender) means one who's biological sex matches their gender identity. A cis male was born a male, whereas a trans male would have been born as female.

XlilyX

Reaction score
Website
hashbone.bandcamp.com
Alright here's some of my input. I'm a trans female, not really passable, so posting my experiences on this thread comes with a smidge of hesitation; I've only traveled through Cali and Oregon, so feel free to take this with a grain of salt. I've only ever traveled with a companion once (about 500 out of roughly 4,500 miles hitched). Road dog was male. Really the only perceivable differences were that it was considerably slower catching rides, and I didn't get approached by any creepy guys I had to get rid of. Didn't have to end any rides prematurely. I assume it was power in numbers, not the presence of a male which made it less sketchy. Maybe it's just coincidence.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads