Solar Power iPhone Charger Question? | Squat the Planet

Solar Power iPhone Charger Question?

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
Been thinking about purchasing a iPhone charger that is solar powered. Have seen them being sold online. If anyone here has ever owned one, what was your experience with this particular item? What were your likes or dislikes about this item? Which one would you recommend?

Any information would be appreactied. Thanks.......

Reactions: Nailz and Welderman
D

Deleted member 8978

I still have a 20000 mAh power bank still working smoothly, but soon I might be looking for one more upgrade: a power bank that is hybrid (wall-charging and solar-charging). If you get one that is just solar-powered, I am not sure how you will be able to charge it up in cloudy weather.

• Useful
Reactions: Nailz

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
I still have a 20000 mAh power bank still working smoothly, but soon I might be looking for one more upgrade: a power bank that is hybrid (wall-charging and solar-charging). If you get one that is just solar-powered, I am not sure how you will be able to charge it up in cloudy weather.

I am just trying to find something to lesson the need to find constant power to charge my iPhone while hopping. I have done the the chargers that store power but with all the waiting that is involved while train hopping I thought I would give the solar power charger thing a try.

If I end up purchasing one and it actually is beneficial and durable will make a video review on it. Will also look up the item you suggested. Appreciate the information.

Reactions: Welderman

siid

Reaction score
ive had two solar chargers so far and they were both dubs. the sun broke the first one (not a popular brand, no reviews on the internet, i bought it at a street fair for $25) and the second one is just trash.

ive been to target/walmart/a few other stores to check out their solar charges and the employees have all told me not to even bother buying the ones they have, most customers say they're trash

they said my best bet would be to buy one online, theres lots of articles comparing some of the best and worst solar chargers, price and quality. go for a popular one with lots of reviews. let me know if you find a good one cuz im still searchin for one too ::pompus::

Jerrell

Reaction score
I have one I haven't tried yet. Picked it up for $10 at ShopKo (mini-Target) and plan to leave it on the dash while driving to test it at some point.
I also have a solar backpack that worked great with regular cell phones and trickled enough to my laptop to be able to use it once a day. I'm assuming it'll charge my smartphone. I don't know how one of those would hold up riding rails tho.

• Useful
Reactions: Hobo Mud

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
I've also had no luck with the smaller ones. They were good at holding about 2 full phone charges when I plugged them into the wall and charged em, but a day out on the beach didn't do shit. Definitely interested in following this thread to see some positive reviews on ones that have actually worked! :)

Kabocha

Reaction score
florida's most underappreciated construction hell
I got this charger for christmas this year. I haven't tested it extensively yet, but from the few times I've put it to work I'm pretty impressed. It charges my phone quickly and holds a charge for much longer than expected. For use on hopping expeditions, the only thing I could say that might make this model a bad choice is that the light on the back is bright as all hell. If you were to accidentally turn it on at a bad moment, there's no way everyone in thirty goddamn miles wouldn't be able to see you. Thankfully, it's not the simplest thing to accidentally light. You have to really mash down on that on button and hold it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jerrell

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
The fold outs i use are Anker and Wildtek, both from amzon. The main things you wanna look for are wattage output, a 20watt will put out 5 or so whens its a bit overcast while a smaller output is essentially useless with one cloud in the sky, usb ports that are 2amp will work faster than the 1amp having several usb charge ports in one panel is handy. With the mono and poly crystal solar cells they can be a bit prone do damage so try to pack your cells in between your rolled pants n shirts for cushioning.

You can get Anker products for free quite easily.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
My set up is a 20000 mA pocket juice power bank, and a 15 W Anker solar charger, I'll charge the power bank when I can find an outlet, and use the solar panel (folds up into three sections, and is very light) to charge the power bank when I'm walking/riding in sunny weather.

The power bank charges my phone 4 times from dead to full before it runs out of juice, and I have a Galaxy S7 active, the 4000mA battery in that phine will last at least 2 days with moderate usage, so I have rarely ran out of juice while traveling.

Angler solar chargers are the best bang for the buck, IMO.

• Useful

Maki40

Reaction score
I have one that is made by nektech that I got off amazon a couple years ago for about $60. Works great. Like plugging into an outlet with full sun and will charge when cloudy but not as good and has withstood the test of time and I'm abusive with my stuff. It's one if the few items i carry with me. 5 stars :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads