1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Solar Power iPhone Charger Question?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Hobo Mud, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Hobo Mud

Hobo Mud Keeping it hobo style!
    StP Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Traveling Hobo - Work from city to city
    Address:
    Granbury, TX, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +219 / -2
    Been thinking about purchasing a iPhone charger that is solar powered. Have seen them being sold online. If anyone here has ever owned one, what was your experience with this particular item? What were your likes or dislikes about this item? Which one would you recommend?

Any information would be appreactied. Thanks.......

• Like Like x 2
  2. quad8

quad8 Nowhere bound...
    StP Supporter

CEO of Quad 8 Studios
    Address:
    Brunswick, GA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +315 / -11
    I still have a 20000 mAh power bank still working smoothly, but soon I might be looking for one more upgrade: a power bank that is hybrid (wall-charging and solar-charging). If you get one that is just solar-powered, I am not sure how you will be able to charge it up in cloudy weather.

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    Hobo Mud

Hobo Mud Keeping it hobo style!
    StP Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Traveling Hobo - Work from city to city
    Address:
    Granbury, TX, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +219 / -2
    I am just trying to find something to lesson the need to find constant power to charge my iPhone while hopping. I have done the the chargers that store power but with all the waiting that is involved while train hopping I thought I would give the solar power charger thing a try.

If I end up purchasing one and it actually is beneficial and durable will make a video review on it. Will also look up the item you suggested. Appreciate the information.

• Like Like x 1
  4. siid

siid Appreciated Participator

Featured Threads:
    circus worker
    Address:
    Seattle, WA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +150 / -0
    ive had two solar chargers so far and they were both dubs. the sun broke the first one (not a popular brand, no reviews on the internet, i bought it at a street fair for $25) and the second one is just trash.

ive been to target/walmart/a few other stores to check out their solar charges and the employees have all told me not to even bother buying the ones they have, most customers say they're trash

they said my best bet would be to buy one online, theres lots of articles comparing some of the best and worst solar chargers, price and quality. go for a popular one with lots of reviews. let me know if you find a good one cuz im still searchin for one too ::pompus::

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Jerrell

Jerrell Celebrated Poster

Disabled Veteran
    Address:
    Harlan, IA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +83 / -3
    I have one I haven't tried yet. Picked it up for $10 at ShopKo (mini-Target) and plan to leave it on the dash while driving to test it at some point.
    I also have a solar backpack that worked great with regular cell phones and trickled enough to my laptop to be able to use it once a day. I'm assuming it'll charge my smartphone. I don't know how one of those would hold up riding rails tho.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Koala

Koala sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves

Featured Threads:
    Student
    Address:
    Miami, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +569 / -6
    I've also had no luck with the smaller ones. They were good at holding about 2 full phone charges when I plugged them into the wall and charged em, but a day out on the beach didn't do shit. Definitely interested in following this thread to see some positive reviews on ones that have actually worked! :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kabocha

Kabocha is getting to know the place

wage slave
    Ratings:
    +8 / -0
    I got this charger for christmas this year. I haven't tested it extensively yet, but from the few times I've put it to work I'm pretty impressed. It charges my phone quickly and holds a charge for much longer than expected. For use on hopping expeditions, the only thing I could say that might make this model a bad choice is that the light on the back is bright as all hell. If you were to accidentally turn it on at a bad moment, there's no way everyone in thirty goddamn miles wouldn't be able to see you. Thankfully, it's not the simplest thing to accidentally light. You have to really mash down on that on button and hold it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zim

zim Reality Perception Device
    Staff Member Admin

Featured Threads:
    Address:
    College Park, MD, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +816 / -5
    You can get Anker products for free quite easily.

9. Coywolf

Coywolf Sir Drinks-A-Lot
    StP Supporter

Public land activist
    Address:
    Austin, TX, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +922 / -29
    My set up is a 20000 mA pocket juice power bank, and a 15 W Anker solar charger, I'll charge the power bank when I can find an outlet, and use the solar panel (folds up into three sections, and is very light) to charge the power bank when I'm walking/riding in sunny weather.

The power bank charges my phone 4 times from dead to full before it runs out of juice, and I have a Galaxy S7 active, the 4000mA battery in that phine will last at least 2 days with moderate usage, so I have rarely ran out of juice while traveling.

Angler solar chargers are the best bang for the buck, IMO.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Mackie40

Mackie40 Just signed up

Address:
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    I have one that is made by nektech that I got off amazon a couple years ago for about $60. Works great. Like plugging into an outlet with full sun and will charge when cloudy but not as good and has withstood the test of time and I'm abusive with my stuff. It's one if the few items i carry with me. 5 stars :)

• Useful Useful x 2