so im curious.

HUMANCONTRAST

Reaction score
I feel kind of stupid for asking this as ive been traveling for about two n a half years or so.... but what the hell is this slab city everyone keeps going on about?? all these kids whove never traveled before wanting to go there.... what is it!!!???

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
You're an idiot. I'm glad it sounds dumb to you. Stay away.
I just googled slab city, and the wiki is the first page that comes up, which tells it pretty well, but since you seem to have some problems reading, here is my take on it:
Slab city was a military base, that was shutdown, for whatever reason. The military took all of the metal, leaving behind a lot of big concrete slabs. The salton sea was formed, tons of people started building resorts around it. The state of california gave the old abandoned military property to the california teachers union, with the thought that the property value near the salton sea was skyrocketing. The salton sea was stagnant, everything died, all the resorts being built went under before they were even finished. Slab city was wasteland, worth nothing but a tax write off to the CTU.
Around this time, people started moving in, and squatting the place. There is not so much reason to, other than the fact that it is a huge piece of land, warm enough in the winter, and quite isolated. Everything surrounding is millitary bases, small towns, abandoned resorts, and large farm industry.
As far as why traveling kids like to go there, I guess probably training to go to alaska.
For me, it was like some crazy post apocalyptic dream. People living in total anarchy, more or less untouched by the law. You didnt fuck around, or you would end up getting shot, and buried in a shallow grave somewhere in the desert.
The place is full of all of societies rejects, from outlaws to veterans to old hippie burnouts. A lot of these folks have no where else to go, and I guess most of them will die in the slabs. It's not really a place that is "made" for travelers, nor is it a gentle easy place to get by as some scumfuck. If you are fucking hardcore, and can survive living in the desert, miles from any real supplies, this is a great place. You can do whatever you like here, and there is a good chance that people wont be against it. I dont mean you can be a stupid drunk asshole, but if you want to build a home, live off the grid, make a real life for yourself, this is the perfect place.
Not your typical retirement community, but I guess you probably havent read this far, so better you just stay home.

HUMANCONTRAST

Reaction score
i had no intentions of going im just curious of to why there was so many threads such as "im hitting the road for the first time going to slab city" thanks for explainging it to me though. I didnt see that one on google what showed up as wiki for me was some place in wisconsion. That sounds like a place in new mexico, the mesa that i go to alot. And just sayin, i dont really have a home to stay at.

Lopper

Reaction score
joining StP just to talk shit about some one is dick and not allowed, check your self
I have signed up soley for the purpose of discussing how awful HUMANCONTRAST is. You are God awful.

Reactions: Nelco and CXR1037

fackshat

Reaction score
Wow, you actually ask questions (which you could easily look up on Google) after talking shit to others for being new to this whole thing? Interesting.

HUMANCONTRAST

Reaction score
yep awful as they come. and i looked it up on google and got nothing and a question is better asnwered by someones who been there. any by the way, i never talked shit to that girl for being new, talked shit to her by being dumb. But seriously now you came on line to talk to other about how awful i am? Jesus.

scatwomb

Reaction score
Fuck people who say "google" when people ask questions. Seriously. Y'all probably wouldn't think this guy was a dumbass if one of you took two minutes out of your super-important lives to explain what Slab City is.

Reactions: BobbinGoblin

menu

Reaction score
wow. touchy people. humancontrast. that you caitlin?

ps. fuck everyone the same. oogle bitches. hahahaha. jk

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Fuck people who say "google" when people ask questions. Seriously. Y'all probably wouldn't think this guy was a dumbass if one of you took two minutes out of your super-important lives to explain what Slab City is.

there's nothing wrong with telling people to google it. it serious IS the first thing that comes up in google. people need to stop being so spoon fed and learn to do a little research. that's how i came to live in slab city, by doing my own research before there was an awesome forum i could go to that would answer everything for me.

sorry to sound like a dick, im trying to quit smoking. :p

ftcollinsanarcho

Reaction score
fucking people.. is this site about fucking arguing? OR FUCKING NETWORKING- and all that good shit. oh and by the way im trying to quit smoking too dont fuck with me. just messing. (about the dont fuck with me part of it)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads