Smash the state: sell your guns and buy a computer | Squat the Planet

Smash the state: sell your guns and buy a computer

lowerarchy

Reaction score
This is the way, I think. I'm not much of an anarchist but I'm more that than anything else, and when I see this crazy cryptography stuff and anonymity networks and cryptocurrencies it gives me hope that governments are losing this fucking war.

Example: Wikileaks. Just a few of those cables changed the political landscape of the Middle East - check out Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, possibly Yemen and Bahrain and a few other places. I don't think that was the real intent of the wikileaks people, that was just a good side-effect. The main ploy was to force the USA to stop writing down so much stuff because eventually it'll be leaked again and cause all kinds of shit. That means phonecalls to convey sensitive information and if you consider the sheer size of the gov't bureaucracy it's gotta have an effect.
Anyways, the point is that this whole thing is possible because really strong cryptography is available to anyone nowadays.

Example: Tor network. That was invented by the US navy, released to the open source community to build the pool of users and protect the military from attacks against their online anonymity. Now they're in a position if they expose the protection Tor offers as bullshit (and it's uncertain that they can even if they tried), everyone will abandon their network and they'll be targets for whatever other governments want to see what they're doing online. So unless you're a greater threat to the military than losing all their major anonymous communication channel you're pretty safe.

Example: bitcoin. Fully decentralized, can't stop it, can't forge or counterfeit it, free to use, if it takes off it'll threaten every currency in the world. Granted it's not physical (yet) but how much of the economy is run online nowadays? Banking and things? Tons. When people start selling their national currencies and switching to cryptocurrencies that'll be a scary moment for governments. Counterfeiters can make absolutely perfect bills but they need to put an imperfection in them (small but noticeable if you know what to look for) as a watermark so they can't be paid with their own products. When they start taking cryptocurrencies instead of cash in return you may as well blow up the US Mint, they'll be making perfect US$100 bills and nobody will know.

All in all, sometimes I think the traditional anarchist tactics aren't as effective as these kinds of things are becoming. You still need people out in the real world doing stuff, don't get me wrong, but now we all have access to all these things, shit that can never be taken away from us, we're in a much stronger position as adversaries of the government and huge multinationals than we've ever been. Just a thought.

FigTree

Reaction score
personally i've given up on ending the cycle of retardation mainstream society is in, ever since i read the dharma bums. i cant remember the exact quote but japhy(gary snyder) and ray(kerouac) disagree about trying to end it all, and ray says he decided instead of tearing it down to just walk around it and enjoy life anyway. i'd be pretty fucked in true anarchy anyway, all i'm good at is scavenging and i don't know if i could bring myself to kill an animal for my own life. not that there's anything wrong with hunting for food, i just don't know if i could do it. anyway blah blah i'll shut up now

Cobo

Reaction score
Computers are going to make anarchy totally feasible! Imagine: by 2100, computer brain implants (yes there are already a few in use by quadraplegics!) become so widespread and affordable that everyone in the world gets one, giving us the ability to merge consciousness to share ideas, memories, emotions, ushering in a new era of creativity, cooperation, and empathy! And finally, linking our whole species (and perhaps others, imagine merging consciousness with a whale or an insect! The tremendous insight!) into a collective universal counscious! Effectively, a man made God to bring peace and order to the universe by helping us understand and love each other! Society will collapse, the world will descend into an age of darkness, lit only by the strobing lights of the ETERNAL DANCE PARTY! WOOT WOOT!!!!

FigTree

Reaction score
i'm really hoping humanity kills itself off by 2100.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Cobo, what if your governors MAKES you have a chip to participate economically in any way, and have control of that chip via satellite? Not so good for anarchy. I think it's a bit silly to hope more technology is gonna save us. If these chips were like the internet, where PEOPLE make up the web and can do what they want, it'd be great. But I'm not sure that's gonna happen.

I'll fall on my sword before I get a chip in my head.

AnarchistRon

Reaction score
I would never agree to placing a computer in my head unless we lived in an anarchist state. I do not own a bank card nor will I ever. I love and yet hate technology at the same time. I long for the day when I can remove even this very computer from my life for I cannot help but wonder how much more significant my life would have been if I did not possess this technology. Then again, it is very likely that I would not have become an anarcho-communist if I did not possess this computer. But now, that I am, I long to remove this variable.

Then again, who knows what other wonders I may not discover if I do manage to overcome this burden.

I do not oppose the possession of guns. You'd have to be out of your mind to sell of your only form of power. The fate of humanity remains a grand mystery. For all we know zombies might over run the world by the years end.

lowerarchy

Reaction score
Chip in the head, huh.

That has the potential to go horribly wrong. Of course, like any technology, it can be used for good or evil. Depends on the circumstances and the motivations of the builders.

@Anarchist Ron

I'm not opposed to weapons, it's just that guns aren't the only form of power anymore (except over zombies, still very effective). They can always have bigger guns and more of them, every time - we can't win an arms race.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. Studying power is fascinating. There are, I believe, three camps of thinking about power. And all of them bring the thinker to different conclusions about how/if power can be acquired, how it can be used, and what main types of power can exist.

lowerarchy

Reaction score
Kind of a contradiction there. If you're an anarchist you probably think that any power is subject to abuse no matter who wields it and so you basically seek to be powerless.* But to get that done you have to overpower someone who is trying to overpower you.

It's weird.

*Caveat: officially powerless. Even the lowliest beggar can still be an asshole on a personal level.

Uncle Mom

Reaction score
Website
www.freedirtfilm.com
Computers are going to make anarchy totally feasible! Imagine: by 2100, computer brain implants (yes there are already a few in use by quadraplegics!) become so widespread and affordable that everyone in the world gets one, giving us the ability to merge consciousness to share ideas, memories, emotions, ushering in a new era of creativity, cooperation, and empathy! And finally, linking our whole species (and perhaps others, imagine merging consciousness with a whale or an insect! The tremendous insight!) into a collective universal counscious! Effectively, a man made God to bring peace and order to the universe by helping us understand and love each other! Society will collapse, the world will descend into an age of darkness, lit only by the strobing lights of the ETERNAL DANCE PARTY! WOOT WOOT!!!!

NOBODY IS PUTTING IMPLANTS IN MY HEAD.... NOBODY. I enjoy my peace and SEPARATE THOUGHT PROCESS, and don't wish to be part of a BORG society. Fuck that.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I honestly can't speak very well for secular anarchism on how it views power. But I thought it had to do a lot with empowerment, that is, giving those with less power more power. Power isn't bad, so long as it is equal and not being used to hold others down. Your common implies that instead of opening choices up to more people, nobody should have any choice. Choice = power. For Christian anarchists, power and authority are fine when people earn them by setting examples and serving people (Jesus as a model); by using power under to support people and love them, not power over like the state or a bishop or the governments laying down the laws.

Power is not purely political, in any sense. Basic types of power are: 1) Resources - (money, goods, interpersonal linkages etc); 2) Information (basically Paulo Friere type stuff; 3) Character (some are powerful because people like their personality and style); 4) Expertise (you have skills that other people want). Which of these do we not want for the oppressed?

And yeah, you're right about the needing to understand power to some degree to be any sort of activist. Your power does have to overpower the people you're trying to become, hence why it is especially hard for people to actually give up that power when they've achieved what they want. It's addictive, and nobody is satisfied with "using" once or twice for practical reasons.

lowerarchy

Reaction score
Ok, maybe I'm getting way over my head here because I don't know shit about anarchist theory. Logic is as follows:

1. Power will always be abused.

2. That's why anarchists are anarchists, because there's no possible form of government that can't be completely abusive some of the time at least. If there is even one exception, followers would be regular archists not ANarchists.

3. Therefore anarchists ultimately seek complete loss of power over others as much as possible. I don't mean that they're going to go lay down and die tomorrow, but that IN THE END that's what this is about.

There you go, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

@RnJ

Christian anarchists? I don't even want to know. That's the worst of both worlds. I'd sooner a facist scientist over a Christian anarchist.

lowerarchy

Reaction score

Honestly I just reread that and you are a fucking mystic visionary of the interweb.

Holy crap.

rationale

Reaction score
I must second the view that more technology, especially in the sense that you advocate, is inclined to lead to increased dehumanization; I have no desire to become a machine. We are already machine-like enough due to the influences of the mainstream media, prescription drugs, highways/cars, assembly lines, television generally, etc.

With regard to the alleged contradiction of anarchists opposing power but needing it to overthrow oppressive forces/for self-defense, I would posit that it is not in fact a contradiction: Anarchists don't generally oppose power per se, and certainly don't oppose self-defense (under which resistance against an unjust society would likely fall). They oppose a society structured on hierarchical, coercive grounds - I don't think trying to tear down capitalism would fall under this category. However, certainly an ideal world would be void of, or have very limited amounts of, exercising of any power or violence, but within the context/reality of our society, of course no resistance - and hence, pacifism as an ideology - is asinine. "Coercion" to end coercion perhaps seems contradictory, but I see it as merely pragmatic and I don't view "coercion" (resistance) and coercion by dominant societal structures as being the same.

Nelco

Reaction score
[video]http://youtu.be/G5RQrxkGgCM[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/l9jHOn0EW8U[/video]

Nelco

Reaction score
Net Neutrality

[video]http://youtu.be/G5RQrxkGgCM[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/l9jHOn0EW8U[/video]

[video][video]http://youtu.be/9aE5DLymXu4[/video][/video]

Menyun

Reaction score
Having a chip in the memory part of your brain where you could use it to call up infomation that you put on it would be cool... Wanna be a doctor go download the file then add it to your brain chip and you know everything they know.. that would be kick ass, but I would want to know exactly where in my brain the chip was to be implanted and if it was anywhere near motor functions or something like that where theirs even a chance it could be used to control me fuck that.... And I would NEVER want it to be somethin that could be used to link brains... My thoughts in someone else's mind .. first I'd probably be locked away but besides that it would completely fuck someones mind up im sure. Or someone that has worse thoughts then me I wouldn't want to know what they were thinking... People would start being judged by thoughts and not by their actions.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads