Smartphones & Plans in 2020 | Squat the Planet

Smartphones & Plans in 2020

MetalBryan

Reaction score
I was searching older threads about cellular tech and thought it might be worth starting an updated list. I have a hand-me-down iPhone 6, but we're shutting off our internet service in the house in a couple weeks so I thought I'd browse again. Here's something I've been tracking....

TracFone LG Rebel 4 4G LTE Prepaid Smartphone with Amazon Exclusive $40 Airtime Bundle includes 1000-minutes, 2000 text messages and 2GB of data with 60 days of service. - $40 - $50 on amazon. For this price I'll buy a new one every 60 days hahaha.

What are you using? What upgrades are you looking at?

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: Juan Derlust

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I don't trust "smart" phones or anything with the word "smart" in it.. or that siri an alexa, was sittin in a garage with friends, they had an alexa i said i bet this thing is spying on us and then it says.. "im sorry you feel that way".. and starts going over its privacy policies, yeah. Anyway I use a cheap $50 dollar phone from woolies (thats a grocery store in my country) its old and if i aint using it, its turnt off, an location tracker is off, an its on airplane mode an left in the car, or a bag.

Last edited:

DooDoo the Voodoo Shaman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@WyldLyfe i understand how U feel about tech and being watched... A lot of us worry as if we are somebody I mean we are humans... Most of us aint sellin enough... growin enuff... talkin enuff or even makin enough money for the REAL EYES IN THE SKY to even pay attention... Hell we not even UNITED enuff to fuck up they cash flow... Sad to say U will more likely be fucked over by a loved one b4 THEY WHOSE NAME WE DONT SPEAK BCUZ WE DONT KNOW... 🤷🏾‍♂️

Dutch

Reaction score
I fucks with metro pcs. $50 a month gets you truly unlimited Wi-Fi.

I watch Netflix and YouTube videos, use a doordash app and Google maps all day, and have never had my internet speed throttled the way boost mobile did.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
What is a door dash app and where did you find it?

Door dash is an app for ordering food. Do a Google search on it and you'll see what I mean.

I'm on mint mobile. Honestly this is probably the best/cheapest deal around, I did a fuck load of research before settling on it. The more you pay ahead, the cheaper it gets. So for unlimited text / calls and 8gb of data it's about 30/mo or so. I paid for a full year in advance (after trying it out for a few months) and my bill came to about $11/mo. They have sales pretty frequently and are a reseller for TMobile, so if you go with mint mobile whatever phone you use needs to be compatible with that network.

Johny

Reaction score
Ive got a LG V50 THIN Q through Verizon .
I'm no longer on the road and my girl got it for me thwres no way I could ever afford this ($1200) phine before , but since I had a daughter and settled back down with my girl and got a decent job ($18.50hr) doing pist frame barns and barn restoration we can.
My pgine is pretty much my sole source of entertainment and contact with the outside world.
I use it alot at work with construction apps and as the jobsite radio (with a JBL charge 4) .
It also has 5 cameras and takes HD pics with is good since my boss actually travels alot and I can send him pictures when I have questions or Finnish a job.

MetalBryan

Reaction score
An update:

I used social media lightly, checked email regularly, transferred several 25-100mb PDFs, and checked news/weather once a day for 5 days. Last night I had some drinks and played Johnny Cash’s rendition of Nine Pound Hammer on YouTube a few times to finish up my 3gb.

I have attached an image of what happens on restricted data when you try to do two internet things. Data was restricted overnight to the point it wouldn’t register on my iPhone but activated again at about 6am. I think the best plan is Matt’s choice of 8gb/$20 per month. I thought saving five bucks a month was worth a shot, but I’ll probably upgrade after my three month trial of Mint Mobile.

I also purchased a Moto E6 from moto for $100 w shipping because my iPhone 6 battery is shot but I’ll keep it as a backup (there was supposed to be a replacement plan for the battery but better luck to someone else) I’m done spending money on dumb-ass staying connected for now so hope my research to choose the e6 was correct that it’s the most powerful of the basic, inexpensive tiny computers.

Attachments

• 69A82DAF-4E65-41CA-A1B7-3DD08F96A916.png
    69A82DAF-4E65-41CA-A1B7-3DD08F96A916.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 310

MetalBryan

Reaction score
Final update: got the Moto e6 and it's very nice for a mere $100. Better than expected and I've bought a couple less expensive phones the past few years. Definitely a recommendation.

The difference between the e6 and the iPhone 6 where my restricted data is concerned is night and day. Everything simple is processed faster and I was even able to stream music via YouTube with minor interruptions. I'm sure I'll notice more performance upgrades through use but the main development is that I can also recommend the 3gb data plan for those who absolutely need to save $5/mo.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads