Sleeping concerns | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Sleeping concerns

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
Is the UK pretty free of animals that can be dangerous to humans? I've heard of Australia being particularly hostile, but never the UK as being particularly safe.

We have one type of venomous snake and that's called an Adder. I've never seen one and they are pretty shy and easily scared off. Their bite is more dangerous to dogs than humans to be honest.

We have spiders that can give you a nasty bite but nothing deadly. There's sometimes jelly fish in the sea that can sting you.

In the Scottish Highlands they have reintroduced wolves, but I doubt you're likely to bump into one.

So really no, we don't have much wildlife to worry about.

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
We have one type of venomous snake and that's called an Adder. I've never seen one and they are pretty shy and easily scared off. Their bite is more dangerous to dogs than humans to be honest.

We have spiders that can give you a nasty bite but nothing deadly. There's sometimes jelly fish in the sea that can sting you.

In the Scottish Highlands they have reintroduced wolves, but I doubt you're likely to bump into one.

So really no, we don't have much wildlife to worry about.

Boy, things have changed after a couple thousand years of civilization, eh?

Reactions: landpirate

William Howard 2

Reaction score
Ever consider buying a cheapo tent? It gives some a sense of security that can, especially for beginners, give them a better nights sleep. Alot of times practical advice about survival is given, but we don't always take into account the phycological impact of the lifestyle. I take a tent for that sense of well-being.

In all honesty, exposure to the elements is your number one concern, not animals. If anything, the list goes weather first, humans second, and then I would put animal saftey after those. Your chances of overheating or hypothermia will kill you far easier then anything a critter will do.

With that in mind protect yourself from the cold ground. They say "two blankets on top equal one on the bottom" Even better get a therma-rest camping mat.

Good luck. It's always the man animals that I worry about the most.

Reactions: scoutwilding

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
For anyone with a fear of bears, I recommend watching the movie "Backcountry". It'll help alot ;)

• Haha
Reactions: AAAutin
D

Deleted member 2626

About the cheapie tent for security. If your gonna buy a tent spend the money and get a decent one you can get a decent one for a hundred bucks. I spend more night on the ground then indoors and use a tent most of those nights

William Howard 2

Reaction score
I tell beginners to get a cheapo tent because they may decide later that this isn't the lifestyle they want, that way they don't have to drop a hundred or more dollars on a tent. That's usually a lot of money, especially for those who don't have a steady income. And also so that they can get all the basic gear first and then upgrade when they have the money. A decent backpack, sleeping bag, and camp pad will already set most people back a few hundred dollars.

Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: AAAutin
N

Notmyname

I tell beginners to get a cheapo tent because they may decide later that this isn't the lifestyle they want
Not only this but you might find that you simply don't wanna have a tent in your gear. I've never used one on the road cause the weight and bulk is just not worth it to me. And I love the speed of set-up/takedown and stealth of just laying on the ground, low tarp if it's raining.

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Get a bivy. The best thing I ever did was invest in an Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy:

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/gear/gear/bivy-sacks/advanced-bivy/p/2428290202222

download (1).jpg

N

Notmyname

For a more affordable option if money is an issue, I've been looking into the military's MSS bivy. The old model can be had at a wonderful surplus price of like 50 bucks for full goretex in a stealthy camo.

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I also have one of those USMC bivies. Those thing are great, indestructible, and not very heavy. Plentry of room inside. Sat out a downpour in Grand junction, perfectly dry.

If you combine a bivy and a tarp to cover your pack, you are good anywhere.

The only downsides are condensation inside and if you store it wet it will lose the waterproof.

N

Notmyname

I also have one of those USMC bivies. Those thing are great, indestructible, and not very heavy. Plentry of room inside. Sat out a downpour in Grand junction, perfectly dry.

If you combine a bivy and a tarp to cover your pack, you are good anywhere.

The only downsides are condensation inside and if you store it wet it will lose the waterproof.
I was thinking a cool set up would be to sew a bugnet on the MSS bivy, and use a small tarp to cover the head end and pack. Then you can leave it open for temp and condensation control and still stay dry and bug free.

I usually don't have much trouble with bugs but fuck when I do, it's unbearable and I can't sleep. Only happened that bad twice that I can remember.

How long of wet storage will ruin it? Like if you get stuck in a few days of rain is it fucked?

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Damn, that's a good idea. The only thing I would caution about is water leaking though the needle holes.

It's more of a "not drying out" thing. If you get the bivy wet, don't dry is out, and leave it in your pack for a few days it will develop mildew that will eat throw the waterproof coating. Just gotta dry it out after a rain. Having it up for like a week of rain won't do anything, just storing/rolling it up wet and leaving it that way.

N

Notmyname

Damn, that's a good idea. The only thing I would caution about is water leaking though the needle holes.

It's more of a "not drying out" thing. If you get the bivy wet, don't dry is out, and leave it in your pack for a few days it will develop mildew that will eat throw the waterproof coating. Just gotta dry it out after a rain. Having it up for like a week of railways won't do anything, just storing/rolling it up wet and leaving it that way.

I would only net the area at the top and that will be under the small tarp.

Is it machine dryable? Cause like I'm thinking if it rains for a few days and you don't get a chance to let it dry, might cause a problem

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ya it should be able to dry in a "delicate" cycle. My bivy says that on the tag

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads