Slab city facts | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Slab city facts

Ahnya Rysm

Reaction score
Try reading the help section.

Not sure where you're getting that information from, the blue building church hasn't been open in nearly 8 years now. I've never heard of any of the services you speak if and I've been coming out here every winter since 2009.

I was responding to "all who wander" with his "I heard this n that". Since he hadn't been to slabs and since he said prooving grounds, Christan center etc, sounded more like imperial dam. I'm getting that information from being there 2 months ago. Can Google LTVA and will see all that I said above is true. Not sure what wander guy was talking about.

Sorry i clicked wrong buttons and responded to the incorrect thread. I am not disputing anything you've said Matt. I've never been to slabs. I don't respond to shit I don't know.

Last edited:

Jerrell

Reaction score
@Matt Derrick

I've been trying to think of some questions to throw at you...

How about setting up one's own little corner of slab or sand to have a campsite if staying there by tent? How about by vehicle, camper, and so on?

Shooting guns seems to be a hobby there just from what I've seen around STP, if someone did bring a firearm, is there any sort of armory/locker setup for when you make a run to town for supplies?

What are the chances of all my shit being stolen if I step away from my camp for too long?

...those are probably the top concerns for me. Not stepping into a turf issue and securing my shit.

D

Deleted member 20975

@Matt Derrick

I've been trying to think of some questions to throw at you...

How about setting up one's own little corner of slab or sand to have a campsite if staying there by tent? How about by vehicle, camper, and so on?.....

I have just about the same questions, minus the guns thing, not a fan of guns (though i can shoot). Ill be your neighbour though :) I guess finding someone you can trust a bit would be key. Hopefully most people arent around to fuck with eachothers stuff. Thats about all id need. And someone i like to kick my ass if i get too drunk. Not a mob of angry villagers Frankenstein style. LOL

CaptainCassius

Reaction score
@Jerrell @NotmybestNotmyworst

There's not a public 'armory' like you're describing, to my knowledge, however camps and establishments may have their own private ones. Not really sure why you'd need a place to store your firearm while going into town? Just bring it with you and follow California law if you're worried about law enforcement.

On another note, think of it like anyplace else, it's up to your personal discretion for 'leaving your shit out' but there's no extra amount of assholes and thieves in Slab City than you'd find anywhere else. The general consensus is that most respect each other's autonomy and property as long as you're not impeding on anyone else or being a detriment or causing problems or drawing heat for the population.

Yes you can set up an independent camp or tent especially temporarily but once again being respectful of the other inhabitants. You may also find yourself at a more established camp as a guest if you decide to make friends.

Most if not all establishments there are run on donations and do a fair amount of trade and also some cash transactions for goods.

There are some very amazing people there both long time residents and visitors.

As for everyone giving it a bad rap;

You've seen the sunsets and sunrises/moon rises there right? The music played there? The multitude of other awesomeness both natural and manmade?

It may seem like a hellhole to some with delicate sensibilities and possibly narrow minds but really it is an amazing place.

D

Deleted member 19100

I'm a backyard mechanic, former welder and all around handy person. Would my skills be of any use there? Would I be able to barter with these? Are there any tools in short supply I could trade?

CaptainCassius

Reaction score
I'm a backyard mechanic, former welder and all around handy person. Would my skills be of any use there? Would I be able to barter with these? Are there any tools in short supply I could trade?

I'm a mechanic and fabricator/welder by trade; those skills are definitely useful for bartering but it's really more of a question of what they have to offer you in the first place.

It depends on who needs what tool, for the most part a lot of people have a decent set of hand tools and a few power tools. Things I found lacking that would have a lot of value (though hard to find what you need to get out of it) would be larger items like welding machines, generators, water pumps etc.

Raw/building materials can be pretty valuable here as well.

You have to remember that most at Slab City do not have a lot in the way of money. Most people there are pretty fiercely independent and so many have and expert level of DIY handiness and craftsmanship.

Reactions: Jerrell

CaptainCassius

Reaction score
So come loaded up with whatever good shit you find on the way....? Building materials etc?

Depends a lot on what people are looking for; some places like The Library have a wish list.

Also there is a trading circle on main/beal once a week. Swap meet in Niland on Fridays? And the weekends.

Nonetheless if you bring some shinys and cool stuff, you'll more than likely do some trading with someone.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 19100

Most people there are pretty fiercely independent and so many have and expert level of DIY handiness and craftsmanship.

Excellent point. I hadn't considered that, but it makes perfect sense. Then I too shall become fiercely independent!! Hehe. Perhaps next year when I get a van, I could shuttle a generator or welder in, but not with my TJ. When I get to the slabs, I'll be less concerned about subsistance and more about helping the community by that part of my travels. Any idea who I could talk to about this wishlist?

MeterOYE

Reaction score
So I keep hearing ALOT about slab city, some good and some bad. I guessing it depends on who you encounter. So the point of this post is to ask you guys who ethier stay in or have been to slab city the details of how it works, If it's worth traveling out there, what the people are like, basically all the useful information about the place. I'm curious because it sounds really interesting but definitely gonna do my research first..
A big junk yard in the desert you can pull up and do whatever the fuck you wanna do. Just don’t drive off the paved roads and get your van stuck lol. That’s my advice.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
Slab City is on my bucket list of places I must visit sometime, and I figure I might wander over there someday.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads