Slab city facts | Squat the Planet

Slab city facts

A

Ajax

So I keep hearing ALOT about slab city, some good and some bad. I guessing it depends on who you encounter. So the point of this post is to ask you guys who ethier stay in or have been to slab city the details of how it works, If it's worth traveling out there, what the people are like, basically all the useful information about the place. I'm curious because it sounds really interesting but definitely gonna do my research first..

Jerrell

Reaction score
I'll piggyback this thread with my own question about the Slabs.

I'll probably cruise through eventually. I know to bring offerings and such. My big question right now is when is the best times of year to visit weather-wise?

Jerrell

Reaction score
Yeah, and I'm afraid I'll catch some flashbacks or something if I'm sitting in the hot desert in July. I don't want to be that guy who loses his shit after a couple drinks or tokes. LOL

All Who Wander

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I read a lot about it, talked to some people who have stayed there. News I got was it was a pretty good place to get away from everything at one time, lots of low income seniors, but then a church moved in, put up a mobile home church/heath center, when the word got out that you could live for free and get free health care, people started flooding in from all over. They made the new people move into "the badlands" across the dry river bed, separated by the dead tree (called the drug store cause, that's where people made the deals for all kinds of prescriptions from mexico). The Church went under, and lots of people were stranded. People living in "the badlands" had to find a way to earn money so started going up and over the hills to where the military did bomb testing, they would pull copper and other metals from the exploded bomb cases but every now and then some drunk nut job would drag a dud (unexploded bomb) all the way back and scare the hell out of everyone. They ask if you visit you leave something, preferably canned goods/groceries. It's a place, seems interesting, but don't know if I'd wanna stay too long.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I read a lot about it, talked to some people who have stayed there. News I got was it was a pretty good place to get away from everything at one time, lots of low income seniors, but then a church moved in, put up a mobile home church/heath center, when the word got out that you could live for free and get free health care, people started flooding in from all over. They made the new people move into "the badlands" across the dry river bed, separated by the dead tree (called the drug store cause, that's where people made the deals for all kinds of prescriptions from mexico). The Church went under, and lots of people were stranded. People living in "the badlands" had to find a way to earn money so started going up and over the hills to where the military did bomb testing, they would pull copper and other metals from the exploded bomb cases but every now and then some drunk nut job would drag a dud (unexploded bomb) all the way back and scare the hell out of everyone. They ask if you visit you leave something, preferably canned goods/groceries. It's a place, seems interesting, but don't know if I'd wanna stay too long.

Wow, love how the rumor mill blows everything about the slabs completely out of proportion. Basically none of that is true.

I'm putting together an "everything you've ever wanted to know about Slab City" article for our new articles section here on stp, so if you want to list all your questions here please do so I can make sure to cover all my bases.

Jerrell

Reaction score
the thing about hi desert type spots is that in summer you can have a hot ass day and chilly evenings so its good to have variety of clothes.
That plus, when I was in Iraq, I would be shivering when it'd drop to 90 degrees in the evening during the summer. If it got up to 50 degrees where I am currently, I'd be sweating and stripping down.

The body gets acclimated to what the temps are when you're awake I guess.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Wow, love how the rumor mill blows everything about the slabs completely out of proportion. Basically none of that is true.

I'm putting together an "everything you've ever wanted to know about Slab City" article for our new articles section here on stp, so if you want to list all your questions here please do so I can make sure to cover all my bases.

LOL - was wondering the same thing hehe

D

Deleted member 17306

The 'season' typically starts about thanksgiving time, running until about Easter as far as good weather goes. October isn't terrible, but 110° days are possible.

A lot of your slab city experience will depend on you. Shitty people usually have a pretty shitty experience, good people have a good experience. It's possible to meet just about any kind of person, and have all sorts of unexpected experiences. Is it worth going out there? That's up to you.

It does have it's drawbacks. The tweaker element is always a headache, but each year new people show up to do some cool shit.. you should try to be one of them :)

Ahnya Rysm

Reaction score

I think you are talking about imperial dam long term camping area. The prooving grounds are hella far from slabs. The Christan center is still there but they don't provide healthcare. They provide postal service (huge difference), plus propane, water, showers down the road (those aren't for free but seriously cheap). There's a little thrift store too. It's actually pretty cool if you don't mind Christan old people. (I stick to myself) it's only $180 for the winter and there are bathrooms, dump, water, garbage -unlike slabs.

Yeah sounds like you were playing a game of telephone....

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
How do you delete your post on here?

Try reading the help section.

I think you are talking about imperial dam long term camping area. The prooving grounds are hella far from slabs. The Christan center is still there but they don't provide healthcare. They provide postal service (huge difference), plus propane, water, showers down the road (those aren't for free but seriously cheap). There's a little thrift store too. It's actually pretty cool if you don't mind Christan old people. (I stick to myself) it's only $180 for the winter and there are bathrooms, dump, water, garbage -unlike slabs.

Not sure where you're getting that information from, the blue building church hasn't been open in nearly 8 years now. I've never heard of any of the services you speak if and I've been coming out here every winter since 2009.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Does anyone have *specific* questions they would like answered? Specifics would help my article greatly.

Reactions: Babylonian Zig

benton

Reaction score
Haven't read the thread yet

In my opinion it's not a destination. I was in the area and needed free camping and ending up spending several months there.

There are worst places in the winter, that's for sure. I have no interest in living there. We had a car also which made it much easier.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Matt Derrick

I hear if I come down there with nothing, and nothing to contribute, Y'all will take care of my every need, and give me free stuff!

Should I plan on that?!

Sincerely,

Everyone's favorite newb

JohnMorningstar

Reaction score
The slabs are an amazing place to visit.
The wife and I spent our first night meeting new people at the range.
Cornelius was then wonderful enough to let a bunch of us binge watch Rick and morty at the library.
Met a lot of awesome people, my neighbor while I was there was a nice guy named Chris. Traded a bit of tobacco for some cream soda.

It was September, so it was around 100 every day.
The only real issue I had there was the goddamn bugs. I've never killed more moths or scorpions than I did there.

I was really bummed that the River was fenced off, but we made it work anyway.

Wish I would have been able to meet up with Coz while I was there.

TacoBob

Reaction score
The area is not that great. The heat in the summer months is not worth it at all. I lived/ worked in the nearby desert for many years. The best months to go are from October to April or so. That's when the weather is decent. It gets really cold at night. California has very temperamental weather though. We were hitting over 100 in November. There is a lot of riff raff that blows through that area unfortunately but the same can be said for anywhere that is meant for travelers. Nearby Desert Hot Springs sends a lot of junkies out that way. The good thing about that desert is the winter months bring lots of good bonfires and good memories. There's a few TV documentaries you can probably find on YouTube.

TacoBob

Reaction score
So I keep hearing ALOT about slab city, some good and some bad. I guessing it depends on who you encounter. So the point of this post is to ask you guys who ethier stay in or have been to slab city the details of how it works, If it's worth traveling out there, what the people are like, basically all the useful information about the place. I'm curious because it sounds really interesting but definitely gonna do my research first..
You have my number man. If you have any questions shoot me a text

Skav

Reaction score
Does anyone have *specific* questions they would like answered? Specifics would help my article greatly.

What should I bring along if it's just me, my pack and a bottle of Jameson?
What should I NOT bring along?
I ain't here to mooch but my hustling game is weak and my wallets gone anorexic do I need money there or is there other ways I can get by?
Are there any unspoken rules?

***I'm sorry if I offend anyone with the anorexic joke.***

TacoBob

Reaction score
What should I bring along if it's just me, my pack and a bottle of Jameson?
What should I NOT bring along?
I ain't here to mooch but my hustling game is weak and my wallets gone anorexic do I need money there or is there other ways I can get by?
Are there any unspoken rules?

***I'm sorry if I offend anyone with the anorexic joke.***
Water, food, and some sort of shelter. The nearest town is about 3-4 miles away. This time of year, if you can find someone with a car, you could always check out ocotillo wells for fun times if you like dirt bikes, drinking, and big bon fires (lots of people light their xmas trees on fire). Don't depend on the Salton Sea for any resources. That "Sea" is a giant chemical waste bucket. Don't step on anyone's toes. For the most part everyone out there is respectful if you respect them. Always have a way out. You don't want to be stranded in that desert.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads