santa barbara to modeso cali june 10

Reaction score
My husband and i need to hitch a ride from santa barbara to modesto ccalifornia on June 10th, some where between landing in santa barbra june 10th at like 5pm and mid day on the 14th we really need to catch a ride out to modesto, perferably caswell memorial state park (where we are camping longterm). message me if you can help. I'm sure we can make some kind of arrangment.

Last edited:

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
hwy 157 by the mall is a good jumping point it merges with the 101 by santa maria. you can also take the bus that goes to santa maria then another bus twoards slo and paso robles but youll have to go to the other side of town to catch it. these are commuter buses with limited service on the weekends. id try to make it to paso then hitch out to the I 5 tho it can be rough tryin to get outta there it probly wont be too hard tho cuz ur a couple. id probly avoid hwy 99 cuz all those towns suck and i avoid them. you can also take a bus from paso to salinas for $12 but then ull have to deal with all the bay area shit. hope this helps let me kno if u have ne questions

K

Kim Chee

id try to make it to paso then hitch out to the I 5 tho it can be rough tryin to get outta there it probly wont be too hard tho cuz ur a couple.

This^

Your ride from Paso heading east will probably go to Bakersfield or Fresno. If you bag a Fresno ride or just hitch from the cutoff, you'll end up further north closer to Modesto, the birthplace of spacebags.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
This^

Your ride from Paso heading east will probably go to Bakersfield or Fresno. If you bag a Fresno ride or just hitch from the cutoff, you'll end up further north closer to Modesto, the birthplace of spacebags.
yea i meant hitch from the cut off cuz fresno is a shit hole. if you hitch up the I-5 from the cut off youll probly get farther because its the interstate with few stops but it might be hard to get a ride cuz its the middle of nowheresville. sorry for my incompleteness im on mobile.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
...and there is an MST (Monterey Salinas Transit) bus that runs north of Paso. It may get you closer to Modesto, but I'm not sure.

...but yeah, those are buses, not the hitchin you were asking about.;)
The MST bus takes you to Salinas then another MST to Santa Cruz. Then another bus to San Jose. It gets a bit repetitive. That's why I said try to get to I-5.. I've been thinking about posting a thread about hopping busses in response to one of matts threads about hopping busses from San Diego to LA. I've pretty much hopped from San Diego to Sacramento via commuter bus.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
This is why u don't want to got to fresno heh.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...&q=welcome+to+fresno+sign+t+shirt&v=141338691
If you ever been to county with someone who went to prison in ca you'll know that the nothern gangs and southern gangs have a gang smack dab in the middle known as the bull dogs (fresno) so yea it ain't somewhere to be. This t shirt is their famous slogan. U ask anyone who's been about the area and they'd know.

Reaction score
Well we are trying to avoid buses all together, too expensive right now. Our plane tickets are $500-600 plus my cat for an extra fee of $125, we actually want some money for when we get to our detestation. Im guessing no one knows any one in that region, maybe some one that knows someone that would take us??

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
I've hitched up that way before I think it'll be your best bet to hitch east out of paso robles(take hwy 41 or 46 same difference.) to I 5 (towards kettleman city. been at that junction before. don't go to the city just to where it hits I 5) then hitch north on I 5 up to hwy 132 then east to modesto.
(Note) its also legal to fly a sign by the walmart in paso robles (ask the bus driver where to get off or directions) even tho its on the opposite side of town of the hitch spot (which isn't far walking distance and there's a bum feed at 5pm on the way to the bridge you can sleep under near the hitching spot. The homebums are friendly and will let you know what's up).
if you have any more questions let me know central CA is like my backyard. :)

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads