San Marcos, TX

J

Johnny P

Just spent a week in San Marcos and I had a great time. It's a chill little college town on the beautiful San Marcos River. Friendly people, good buds, lots of camping spots and squat houses. All of the coffee shops were tramp friendly. Made good money flying and busking. Got adopted for a couple days. Trains go thru all day long as well.

If your ever in the area hit this place up. They love travelers and you will probably get housed, fed and stoned almost immediately after arriving.

R

river dog

SM is good to travel through, shitty to stay for more than a week methinks though. got housed up and drunk and stoned but this dude only gave me an 1/8 of grass for a gram of dmt, i thouight a 1/4 wouldve made more sense but feck it.

Fwingnut

Reaction score
San Marcos is awesome. The first time I went there the junker I was riding sided behind a wal mart, so I hopped off, banked hard, then hit up austin.

Ocotillo

Reaction score
If you are down in San Marcos just be cool about drinking in public-TX laws on that are enforced-also there's a ban on floating the river with open containers in some of the towns on the tubing route. But yeah it is a pretty chill little town-worst you might get is drunken TX State fratboys, but generally people are pretty cool. Also there's a really great Vietnamese sandwich place right near the commuter lot by campus-you can get vegan ban mi for like $3.50 with drink. There's a coffeeshop in the same strip that has good coffee and free wifi (I went to school here for a bit and used to hang out there). There's another one there too that has asian-style food and live music some nights. If you are on campus just watch the UPD cops-some of them are cool but others can be massive dicks. There's been a rash of sexual assaults on campus this year so patrols of the campus area are way more frequent now. It's nice in the summer if you need a break from Austin.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads