Rylee from Ohio, about to start my travels and tryin to figure stuff out

C0ffeeCat

"Divided we take our anti-depressants."
Reaction score
Hi, local weirdo enby burnout here. I'm in bit of a mixed bag situation, things are real weird for me, and kinda always have been. I was one of those ghetto kids who ran the streets at 3am breaking into abandoneds with fellow deadbeats, so I'm not entirely helpless. But at the same time, we always had houses to go back to, dinners to look forward to, and families to (kinda) support us. Now as an adult, most of those deadbeats became trapped in 50 hour work weeks, and tied down by responsibilities, and I'm still here with more or less the same mentality. I've always dreamed of living a nomad's life style, staying in squats, and living on the road, but there was always something I got hung up on that held me back.

I always got caught up on the logistics of things, how to sleep safely, how to stretch money, how to find places to stay (relatively) clean, how to find like minded people, where to even go, what to even do ect. I feel like I got shat on by society for the most part, I can't bare a 9-5, working full time is neigh impossible with my ultra ADHD ass fungus brain, yet finding work that I could survive on and doesn't entirely suck has turned up next to nothing. I've always had juuuust enough security that I never needed to worry about learning the hard lessons and skills that I will definitely need now, but life was also always unstable and shaky enough that I could never step forward and figure shit out. Mom died a year ago, got a little money from a settlement, got screwed over buying a lemon car, and making a horrible move from Steubenville to Wadsworth that sucked most of what was left away. Was gonna go to college, but roomie kicked me to the curb just as I was getting shit straight, tried to move in with my SO, but he was told there was a 1 person limit for his studio apartment and he can't transfer to a bigger unit for a whole year.

I knew this was coming, I was preparing myself, learning as many tips as I could, and reading Anarchist's Guide to Travel to get a few resources, but it looks like it's happening right now regardless if I'm ready or not. Problem is that I've always been a socially minded individual. My energy, drive, motivation, and problem solving skills are all directly tied to how many other people are around, but left to my own devices, I practically shut down, everything seems infinitely more daunting, nerve wracking, and anxiety inducing. I went from a horrible, but arguably more social existence in the ghetto, to a fake, artificial, and alienating existence in an overpriced rural/suburban mixed environment full of boomers and ultra-conservatives, and that change apparently obliterated my ability to socialize or get to know people in any meaningful way. I've never met another punk, the few leftists I ever met took me into an org that promptly ate itself and left me at square one again, and now I'm here.

I'm mostly here to feel things out, try to reach out to the community and maybe get some advice or use the resources so that I don't end up in a bad spot, but I'm also looking to make connections, make friends, find like minded people and maybe turn this uncertainty into an opportunity to become more worldly, skilled, self reliant, and active alongside some other folks. I'm gonna be traveling in a month or two, prolly gonna start local, couch surf with the few childhood friends I got left, but their living situations aint much better so the road is gonna be my only real option eventually. If there's any veterans out there who got tips on living in their car, car maintenance and cheap mechanics, staying safe, and finding places to go/things to do, any advice would be a godsend.

I've also been trying to find communes to visit, and before the pandemic kicked everyone's ass and destroyed 2 years of everyone's life, I was also planning on visiting Poole's Land up in Canada, but sadly that place is dissolved now. If someone knows a commune, squat or somethin similar that's open to new arrivals I'd love to visit.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads