Rubbertrampin in Colorado Mountains

Deismona

Reaction score
I’m driving straight out to the mountains to try and catch the Aspens turning before winter and plan on being just south-west of Denver in Pike national forest and then driving up to Laramie, Wyoming for an art conference. Any tips for car camping in the mountains? I haven’t stayed in many national parks (Walmart life) and I’m using a free campsite website to find places to park for the night.

LysergicAbreaction

Reaction score
The mountains are actually fairly relaxed when it comes to staying In your vehicle.

Colorado mountain people are generally understanding, and even the law enforcement is fairly laid back.

The most I have ever had happen when parking in my car and sleeping over night in the mountains was being woke up by a police officer requesting that we park in another location.

We didn't even know if we were approved areas, we just parked in areas where it looked like nobody would bother us, and never had any major issues.

It gets cold though! That would be my biggest concern.

Chazten

Reaction score
Come quick! The aspens are changing right now! It’s gorgeous. And if you only plan on staying the next few weeks in the woods southwest of Denver you’ll be fine, but if your planning on staying over winter, they don’t plow the roads, so once snow comes it gets pretty hairy out here. Have fun! Be safe

Object

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for that info! Heres my situation: Im in Cortez rn and being forced by BLM to leave 25 miles as the crow flies they say..To another spot. 14 day limit per spot on blm and forest land! Hope im not stuck out here when it snows, probably head to AZ next.. Walmart in Cortez kicked me after 6 days straight tho, pretty good for a full size bus :p

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Staying in National Parks is overrated and expensive, and that is coming from a Park ranger.

So much better on FS or BLM land, free and 14 day limit.

I was just up on Ophir Pass in CO, the trees are almost in full swing. Safe travels.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks for that info! Heres my situation: Im in Cortez rn and being forced by BLM to leave 25 miles as the crow flies they say..To another spot. 14 day limit per spot on blm and forest land! Hope im not stuck out here when it snows, probably head to AZ next.. Walmart in Cortez kicked me after 6 days straight tho, pretty good for a full size bus :p

Aw shit, what color is your bus? I might have seen you on my way through the last couple weeks.

If you have any questions, I'm a local of the 4 corners region, hit me up.

Jerrell

Reaction score
I'm staying up in the Pikes Peak National is week. They just grated the road, so lots of washboards.
There's a few turnoffs that a car can access. Road 300 is the main one you probably want to be on.
I will be back up there tonight. If you see a red dodge caravan (looks like the Chrysler town & country) up there it's probably me. haha

Reactions: Deismona

Deismona

Reaction score
I’m in an SUV so I feel comfortable with a bit rougher roads but definitely open to suggestions! I was thinking about the Buffalo Creek area as well as the area around Rampart Range

Jerrell

Reaction score
Rampart is the area I was in last night. Trying to find that free site was, well...not sure I found it, but camped anyway. Haha gonna see what I find tonight now.

Chazten

Reaction score
Definitely stick to national forest and blm, parks suck everybody.
And ya pretty much every mountain town has free camping all around it, Ned is kind of blown up now and they are strict on the 14 day limit. Where as my spot this summer I was able to hang on the same mile stretch of forest road from May this year up to the end of August.
The actual front range is more of a struggle to find good spots vs further west.
And rampart range road outside the springs you guys mentioned has tons of free camping with access from garden of the gods and access from woodland park and monument. Also outside of the springs is a forest road that leads up out of the broadmoor area and cuts through the Cheyenne range all the way to cripple creek, I prefer the camping over here to rampart.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads