$ Rockledge, FL $

Myechtatel

Reaction score
So my girlfriend and I have been traveling around Florida for a few months. We set out to go t Coca Beach because we heard it was a good place to busk and fly a sign. We're trying to raise money for a new guitar and ukulele. Anyway, we got to the beach and realized there was virtually nowhere to sleep. Not to mention it was hot and humid. anyway we went back to west cocoa, hung out there a couple days until we realized we were sharing our woods squat with wild boar. So we got on the interstate and hitched to the next city South... Rockledge, FL. When we pulled up we saw an old hobo walking off the median with his bedroll, sign and a handfull of cash. We met him walking up to the 7-11. He'd been traveling 30 years, almost 50 now, drinks a LOT but turned out to be a really cool guy. Anyway, within 5 minutes of being there we get a $5 and a $20 kickdown. The hobo told us that the median he was working was awesome. He averaged $40 an hour and the cops just drive right by. We found a spot in the woods to sleep on some 5 acre piece of land that was for sale and had an old hobo camp that looked like it was abandoned 6 months ago. The first night was really sketchy cause we kept hearing (people?) walking around but when we woke up we found the hobo, hung out with him and he told us they were little monkeys that lived there. haha! fucking monkeys in florida! we basically stayed on this one road the whole time. on the west end was the 7-11 and the median to fly your sign. the 7-11 was owned and run by some middle eastern folk. turned out to be real assholes. on the west end about a mile down was a publix, another 7-11, a Pix, a mcdonalds, subway, wendy's, an Aldi(great dumpsters), Little Ceasar's and a Walgreens. We spent most of our time down by Publix enjoying our food stamps :)
As soon as we started hanging out at that Publix, people started kicking down tons of cash. Real nice people. But the point is that we made $50 on average a day sitting in front of Publix. We only flew a sign at that median twice and made great money there too.
The third day we were there the hobo told us about an abandoned mansion you could sleep in. So we checked it out and the place was awesome! It was a two story ten bedroom house. People have been squatting it for a few years and the back door is always open. It wasnt trashed, had brand new carpet and was tucked back in the woods really nicely. The owner's died of old age and it's now county property. Basically it's just sitting there until they decide to tear it down. So we stayed there a few nights. We planned on leaving after 2 or 3 days but ended up staying almost a week because we were making so much money with little to no effort and the people were just so nice.

All in all, I highly recommend going through Rockledge or staying for a few days. The people are awesome and you will make a lot of money. We made about $300 in about 6 days. We even had a cop buy us mcdonald's and the ex chief of police give us 10 bucks! Plus you'll have a mansion to stay in!
Some other awesome kickdowns: -$5 cause some lady saw us dumpster diving
-rich old lady: are you guys okay? do you have money? us: yeah a little lady: what's a little? us: like 20 bucks lady: hands us $50 bill
-guy sees us walking down the road, stops and gives us $20

So check out Rockledge but don't go any farther South. The cops in south florida will throw you in jail for being homeless. Don't go down there!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
this is very useful info as i happen to be in treasure coast at the moment and need to make a few hundred bucks. thanks guys!! if you're still in the area hit me up....i play guitar as well and wouldn't mind hangin out with some cool folk down here as they're few and far between i've noticed..

Uncle Mom

Reaction score
Website
www.freedirtfilm.com
WARNING: If you write posts on towns that are good money, be prepared to never have luck there again. Sucks, cause it sounded like a cool place.

Myechtatel

Reaction score
i don't think so. i mean, the reason there's such good money there is because there's so many retired folks. but i don't mind either way. i don't plan on going back any time soon. or at all really, it's just a small town you pass through. maybe someone else passing through can have a good time there. but i figured i'd share about the vacant mansion because it would be a really cool squat if anyone wanted to start one.

krystlemeth

Reaction score
ah rockledge is where i hail from and am currently living. surprised i didn't pass by you two! after reading this the other day i went and checked out the mansion today. i always pass by the texaco and never had the slightest idea anything awaited behind it. saw the mark left on the door :) it's a badass haven

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads