Road Food, Healthier Eating | Squat the Planet

Road Food, Healthier Eating

D

Deleted member 2626

So now, typically I carry mostly rice, sometimes a little flour to fatten up a meal and salt and pepper, may be a few different herbs and a few bouillon cubes. High sodium but they make a little stew a bit tastier and taste can play a big role in mentality. I wanted to say about how I acquired a cheap little, even BPA free cup container with completely fast enable lid. It has a vent flip too on top that I just put a piece of duct tape on incase of any leak. But I use it for drinking out of and soaking food. I one day in Oregon last spring threw in some rice and salt and soaked that shit for awhile while walking in my pack. Soaking rice makes it cook a little quicker and that night I had my semi pre made meal. I like having a few dry goods stowed away to eat. It a least somewhat keeps me healthier and shit you can buy two pounds of rice at any dollar store or such store for.. . a dollar or dumpster it. I also have really started utilizing plantain seeds from the wild edibles. You can dry them out good and strip them into a bag or just strip and mix with stews. I think health should be a lot more important especially if striving for a semi sustainable existence and independence less on the machine. I personally feel more pride in myself and ingenuity when eating good food cooked on either my stove or fire that I foraged or purchased cheap. Hell buy a potato or sweet potato or or some other vegetable to throw in there for less than a dollar. in truth it is cheaper to eat healthy, not so much organic, but decently, than junk food. I'm sure we have recipe threads already but I wanted to start one for sort of self contained eating. Self contained living is something I try to focus on daily in any facet of life.

Reactions: laughingman

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
That's a great idea about pre-soaking rice; probably good with lentils too. Plantain seed is the same thing sold in stores as "Psyllium Husk", which is a superb bulk-fiber to keep your shitter healthy.

Reactions: Freerange
D

Deleted member 2626

Yep good for lentils. Beans would be the best. I've been wanting to eat dry beans more as well because they are cheap and decent food but the cook time, even after a day of soak, is long. Also, shit, carrying a cup to soak and when not soaking it's good for your coffee. Stop buying those styrofoam cups that are laying everywhere and use your own and it's literally cheaper. Most places charge .99 cent refill with your own cup, any size even a full sized thermos gets charged as so.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
S

smkstcklghtng

Came here to mention sprouting.

While I'm here; I think soaking rice is great because it makes it easier to cook over a camp fire. If you start a fire just big enough to get the water boiling and add your rice, the coals you have going should do the job of cooking the rice without you having to manage the flame and keep it simmering for 45 minutes or more (like you would have to with regular dried rice).

also if you wanna speed up the soaking process you can shake the shit out of the container you're soaking in and recycle fresh water. This process uses more water but you can use the live water in your area if it isn't contaminated by chemical pollutants, cooking the rice should kill any worrisome bacteria.

D

Deleted member 2626

Wanna try sprouting. Fermentation as well I've read about. Ate some beans a month ago recycled from my sister who never finished. Potent. Even mixed with rice and whatever else I threw in. Shaking works sure, carried in my pack galavanting shakes er up real good. I regularly cook with semi aged rain water from my collection at my site and have no fear for boiling is a classic water sanitation

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
Yep good for lentils. Beans would be the best. I've been wanting to eat dry beans more as well because they are cheap and decent food but the cook time, even after a day of soak, is long. Also, shit, carrying a cup to soak and when not soaking it's good for your coffee. Stop buying those styrofoam cups that are laying everywhere and use your own and it's literally cheaper. Most places charge .99 cent refill with your own cup, any size even a full sized thermos gets charged as so.
If you are buying dry beans in the grocery store, and have no plans to sprout them, consider buying a bag of split peas instead of the lentils, they cook up faster, they don't need as much soaking or cooking time. They are also usually a little cheaper. If you get them and and a bag of barley, you can cook some very healthy and filling meals. I swear that barley is worth the higher price than the rice, I feel that I get a more sustainable energy from it, and certainly more nutrition.

D

Deleted member 2626

Hey good info outskirts. I never purchased split peas but always see em. Next try. Wanted to recommend popping corn in bags like rice. Little over two bucks but makes a great snack has to be fried in a little oil. Never tried a little water but it's better than snacking on bullshit and it keeps for a long time

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads