Resources for DIY Boatmaking | Squat the Planet

Resources for DIY Boatmaking

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
Hey guys, first foray into the boat punk subforum here. I see a lot of threads about finding work on a boat, but has anyone had any experience building their own raft or boat on the cheap before? I'm looking for a project to work on this winter before it warms up here in Richmond and I'm getting stoked on the idea of building something to sail down the river on. Not too far, just a couple miles or something to fish and drink on. Helped a dude named Papa Nutrino build one in New Orleans about 10 years ago and I've been thinking about it again recently. Closest thing I've found is this website but if anyone has similar plans or experience, holler atcha boy. Should be cool, I'll post progress pics as I go along either way.

http://www.trashboat.org/boat-building/

Reactions: Rob Nothing
K

Kim Chee

I've only been on boats a few times and have never built one. I do think this is a great idea though. Could you be better off repairing an abandoned boat?

LawrenceofSuburbia

Reaction score
Check out this, and see if you can find a torrent of the full documentary. I thought it used to be up on here but I can't find it. I believe some of the building process is documented in the documentary, or you could check out the blog section of the website to maybe find something.

Also check this website I just found chasing a vague recollection that Grimes once built a houseboat. I can't vouch for the usefulness of the site cause I just started reading it myself!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
That looks like an awesome winter project!! And you found the materials - Double thumbs up!! Have fun!!

Reactions: Raging Bird
N

nevergetspotted

for that matter, i suppose if you were just to confine your boating to a river, then you could probably make one in a day out of wood/plastic/styrophone or whatever you could scrounge up that floats. Just keep in mind that the heavier it is, the harder it is to portage around dams as you go down the lazy river.

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
Check out this, and see if you can find a torrent of the full documentary. I thought it used to be up on here but I can't find it. I believe some of the building process is documented in the documentary, or you could check out the blog section of the website to maybe find something.

Also check this website I just found chasing a vague recollection that Grimes once built a houseboat. I can't vouch for the usefulness of the site cause I just started reading it myself!
Damn, this shit is awesome. I'm thinking I'll do something simple more akin to a raft with a structure on top, and if it works, look into building a "summer home" on the river. That website is fucking brutal though.

LawrenceofSuburbia

Reaction score
haha brutal how? it's less rafting oriented than I first thought but there's some things and plans that can be converted to rafting purposes I feel. still haven't looked at it in any real depth lol.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads