News & Blogs Remember the guy who smashed homeless carts in Hawaii?

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hawaii Lawmaker Who Smashed Homeless People's Shopping Carts Beaten Up

The Huffington Post
Posted: 06/30/2015 6:33 pm EDT

http://newsline.world/pointofviewwo...arts-beaten-up-by-group-of-homeless-report/7/

HONOLULU -- A Hawaii state representative was allegedly beaten by several members of a Honolulu homeless encampment on Monday after he refused to stop videotaping them, according to Hawaii News Now.

Rep. Tom Brower (D), who made national headlines in 2013 after smashing homeless people's shopping carts with a sledgehammer, was reportedly punched in the head several times and taken to Queens Medical Center in serious condition, where he was treated for a concussion and eye injuries.

He was later released, according to the AP.

Isaiah Totoa, 17, who was involved in the altercation, told Hawaii News Now that he and a friend were angry after Brower refused to stop filming them.

"How would you feel if I walked in your house and just started recording you, right? We live here, this our house, respect it," Totoa told Hawaii News Now. "We don't choose to live like this. If I had a choice to go to a house right now and live in that house... trust and believe, I would be in my house. I wouldn't be living underneath one tent."

Totoa also told Hawaii News Now that he and his friend didn't know the man was a state lawmaker and that they were sorry for the altercation and want to return Brower's belongings.

Brower's self-proclaimed "tough guy" approach to Honolulu's homelessness problem was criticized in 2013 when he publicly toured Honolulu streets with a sledgehammer, using it to destroy any shopping carts that didn't have a store's logo on them.

"If I see shopping carts that I can't identify," he told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser at the time, "I will destroy them so they can't be pushed on the streets."

Homelessness is currently reaching a crisis point in Hawaii. In the past year, the number of chronically homeless individuals has risen 24 percent. Both the state and the city of Honolulu have adopted a number of measures to address the issue, including a controversial "sit-lie" ban and periodic homeless sweeps.

Monday's assault is being investigated by the attorney general as a felony.

UPDATE: 11:30 p.m. -- Brower said at a press conference Tuesday that two males assaulted him after he took photos of the street. Brower said there were no people in his photos and that he never acted aggressively toward the men who attacked him, according to the Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Brower said his camera, stolen during the attack, has since been returned to him, with the photos from Monday deleted.

K

Kim Chee

Brower's self-proclaimed "tough guy" approach to Honolulu's homelessness problem was criticized in 2013 when he publicly toured Honolulu streets with a sledgehammer, using it to destroy any shopping carts that didn't have a store's logo on them.

"If I see shopping carts that I can't identify," he told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser at the time, "I will destroy them so they can't be pushed on the streets."

What a jackass. He destroys potentially stolen property potentially leading to more thefts as the carts are replaced.

I know of a guy on the street who actually purchased an older, phased out cart from a store. That cart was ~not~ stolen, it was his property.

What a jackass, Mr. Brower...wake up.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
frankly i'm only sad that the guy isn't a corpse. people that are anti-homeless are so fucking disconnected from reality it makes me want to puke.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This is a person with a lack of basic human compassion and possibly a psychopath.

As a matter of fact... I don't get it... how is this shithead still in office... is it because Hawaii is so far from the mainland? I mean politicians have resigned for sending dick pics (that weiner guy right?) and for hooking up with call girls... Spitzer NY GOV...

Displaying a mental state of vicarious violence towards the disenfranchised through bashing up homeless shopping carts should have landed him in a mental eval.

What would have happened if a normal civilian had gone around bashing up shopping carts with a sledge hammar?

At the very least an arrest and disturbing the peace or destruction of property charge I guess.

What a fucking nerf herding bastardo...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads