News & Blogs Remember the guy who smashed homeless carts in Hawaii? (1 Viewer)

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Current Location
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
Hawaii Lawmaker Who Smashed Homeless People's Shopping Carts Beaten Up

The Huffington Post
Posted: 06/30/2015 6:33 pm EDT

http://newsline.world/pointofviewworld/hawaii-lawmaker-who-smashed-homeless-people-s-shopping-carts-beaten-up-by-group-of-homeless-report/7/

HONOLULU -- A Hawaii state representative was allegedly beaten by several members of a Honolulu homeless encampment on Monday after he refused to stop videotaping them, according to Hawaii News Now.

Rep. Tom Brower (D), who made national headlines in 2013 after smashing homeless people's shopping carts with a sledgehammer, was reportedly punched in the head several times and taken to Queens Medical Center in serious condition, where he was treated for a concussion and eye injuries.

He was later released, according to the AP.

Isaiah Totoa, 17, who was involved in the altercation, told Hawaii News Now that he and a friend were angry after Brower refused to stop filming them.

"How would you feel if I walked in your house and just started recording you, right? We live here, this our house, respect it," Totoa told Hawaii News Now. "We don't choose to live like this. If I had a choice to go to a house right now and live in that house... trust and believe, I would be in my house. I wouldn't be living underneath one tent."

Totoa also told Hawaii News Now that he and his friend didn't know the man was a state lawmaker and that they were sorry for the altercation and want to return Brower's belongings.

Brower's self-proclaimed "tough guy" approach to Honolulu's homelessness problem was criticized in 2013 when he publicly toured Honolulu streets with a sledgehammer, using it to destroy any shopping carts that didn't have a store's logo on them.

"If I see shopping carts that I can't identify," he told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser at the time, "I will destroy them so they can't be pushed on the streets."

Homelessness is currently reaching a crisis point in Hawaii. In the past year, the number of chronically homeless individuals has risen 24 percent. Both the state and the city of Honolulu have adopted a number of measures to address the issue, including a controversial "sit-lie" ban and periodic homeless sweeps.

Monday's assault is being investigated by the attorney general as a felony.

UPDATE: 11:30 p.m. -- Brower said at a press conference Tuesday that two males assaulted him after he took photos of the street. Brower said there were no people in his photos and that he never acted aggressively toward the men who attacked him, according to the Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Brower said his camera, stolen during the attack, has since been returned to him, with the photos from Monday deleted.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!
K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
Brower's self-proclaimed "tough guy" approach to Honolulu's homelessness problem was criticized in 2013 when he publicly toured Honolulu streets with a sledgehammer, using it to destroy any shopping carts that didn't have a store's logo on them.

"If I see shopping carts that I can't identify," he told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser at the time, "I will destroy them so they can't be pushed on the streets."
What a jackass. He destroys potentially stolen property potentially leading to more thefts as the carts are replaced.

I know of a guy on the street who actually purchased an older, phased out cart from a store. That cart was ~not~ stolen, it was his property.

What a jackass, Mr. Brower...wake up.

OP
Odin

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Current Location
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
This is a person with a lack of basic human compassion and possibly a psychopath.

As a matter of fact... I don't get it... how is this shithead still in office... is it because Hawaii is so far from the mainland? I mean politicians have resigned for sending dick pics (that weiner guy right?) and for hooking up with call girls... Spitzer NY GOV...

Displaying a mental state of vicarious violence towards the disenfranchised through bashing up homeless shopping carts should have landed him in a mental eval.

What would have happened if a normal civilian had gone around bashing up shopping carts with a sledge hammar?

At the very least an arrest and disturbing the peace or destruction of property charge I guess.

What a fucking nerf herding bastardo...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

MFB wrote on slaapkaamers's profile.
I hosted Lilith/@slaapkaamers for 3 nights in Nov 19.
She was an exemplary guest. Good w both conversing and alone time. Trustworthy, didnt steal anything and I felt very comfortable leaving her alone at my place. She didnt stink and not a junky.
Lilith is a legit traveller, she's a sweet, artistic chick w lots of good and interesting ideas to chat about. A pleasure to host. If she's in your neck of the woods you should help her out. 😉
I have a pretty good new squat in sfe but im leaving soon if anyone wants the keys lmk.
The peavine is gorgeous, I highly recommend that route.
Fucking winter snuck up this year
Damn It! I've been thinking and debating about applying for a position as an Amtrash locomotive engineer! They have openings for Salt Lake City, UT and St. Cloud, MN. I know I got to go through training but I'll be on call 24/7? There goes my sex life and night time weekend parties! Screw that, I'll play with my train set-No Pun=No Joke!
Made back up into Cincy for the weekend. Gonna chill with some homies before we head west for the winter..
'The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.' -Elie Wiesel
Bey
First Vermont snowfall; Bon hiver, everybody!
anybody up in alaska wanna play some tunes?

Staff online