Recommend me a good sleeping bag and backpack

NYTR

Reaction score
I've been looking into getting a pack and sleeping bag. i'm pretty into surplus stuff, simply because it always seems to be super durable and i'm somewhat rough on backpacks but i don't know shit about sleeping bags.

I'd be looking for a bag i could live out of in europe as well(hoping to head over there next summer and squat/crash on rooftops etc). i'm not one for bringing tons of shit with me anywhere though, so i was thinking something like this would probably be perfect?
https://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/p...edium Field Pack Canadian Forces 1982 pattern

any recommendations or advice is much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 125

you could get a alice pack for alot less from checking local surplus stores or even ebay, alot of times they have used ones with the frame and all for less then 50 bucks. theres alot of different opinions especially on this site about alice packs and frames vs non frames i think if you searched for them theres a big thread concerning stuff like that.

Magma

Reaction score
That a big fucking pack in the link, I think you will need less then that. There are two camps on this, external frame or not; and I think that this day in age there is no reason to get a external frame for traveling. That framed fucker will give you hell if you end up in europe trying to ride busses with that shit beside you. Opt for something smaller and without a frame.

As far as the sleeping bag goes. If you going to be using it all the time get something a bit decent. Im sure i am not the only one, but when you sleep in a a sleeping bag every night of your life its nice to have one that you like and works well for you. There is nothing in my kit I love more then my sleeping bag... That being said, you may not even need a sleeping bag if you going to be in Europe during the summer, 2 summers ago I went to Europe with just a wool blanket and that is enough for damn near any rooftop in the lands.

Don't know if any of that helps. Id just go for a smaller size pack and a wool blanket. Less weight = more fun

-Jack

there are tons of posts like this if you search, all the info is here.

NYTR

Reaction score
i did do a search and it's a lot to take in. even more so being that i've not ever needed to live out of a bag before.

i'm thinking a regular internal framed "yuppie" bag as everyone likes to call them is a much better choice. it seems theres a lot of disagreement over external frames fitting through the grainer holes. being that my main interest is to get the fuck out of new york and see the country by frieght, it'd probably be best not to even entertain the idea.

D

Deleted member 125

i use a yuppie pack and its mad decent. the external/internal arguement is almost not even worth looking into, internal is just better in everyway i can think of.

shaggydope

Reaction score
internal for life. it shouldn't even be an argument in my book. external frames don't have as good of padding for my back. you might have to pay a little more for the internal but it's worth it in the long run IMO.

Ouija

Reaction score
I am not a juggalo.
<b>
lol thats the only reason i clicked on this forum topic, you've let me down! We're not all skitzo, some of us just excel in the stupidity of carni antics :) Good luck gettin your tools together, I still have the same bag ive used since day one, its an outdoors pack i got at walmart, ran me about 60 bucks but is still in great shape even after the 15-20 train rides it endured, rainy shitty weather and massive pillow use on concrete. It's a beast!

1544c

Reaction score
i use an internal frame pack. i wouldn't ever get an external frame.
sleeping bags, i use a sleeping bag from REI. it's rated at 10 degrees so i can still travel in winter some. 150 bucks. you could spend $50 more and get something down to -10 degrees. i don't mean to be a spokes person for REI but they have some very good sleeping bags.

Myechtatel

Reaction score
Avoid surplus stuff at all costs. It was not designed to be light or comfortable. period. there's plenty of "yuppie" packs out there that are great and won't cost you much more than a surplus pack. Honestly, I'm not sure why everyone is against external frames. i got a Kelty Trekker 3950(paid $100) external frame pack and I reccommend it to any traveller. External frame bags were made for carrying heavy and/or awkward loads for long distances. Internal frame bags were designed because for rockjumping, skiing, climbing, etc. they won't throw you off balance as much. But when you're walking around the city and just doing whatever, you're better off with an external frame. It's unfortunate that there's not much market for them anymore but with the Kelty Trekker out, it's hard to compete. It's a lot more organized than any internal frame bag I've seen(and i did a LOT of research before i got that bag). It has 5 external pockets, plus two internal compartments, storage in the flap, a water bottle holder, all kinds of attachment points and straps to keep your sleeping bag on the bottom. it's tough as fuck too. don't be afraid to throw it on and off a train. plus the fact that an external frame bag kind of stands up by itself and you can get your stuff out is really cool. it doesnt get all lumpy and limp like an external frame bag. as far as a sleeping bag, it depends on the climate you'll be in. Always go like 10-20 degrees below what you're expecting. and carry some emergency thermal blankets. they work great and hardly take up any space plus they're cheap and light as a feather. a good sleeping pad is nice too. the inflatable therm a rests are nice but go for the lighter, smaller ones. I stole 2 pro lite pads for me and my girl and they're awesome. comfortable and keep you super warm.
hope this helped.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads