ramblin in mexico? | Squat the Planet

ramblin in mexico?

fefo

Reaction score
so im going to mexico and i’ve only ever been to T.J.. i want advice from people who’ve been there. im going straight to mexico city to meet someone. i got family all over there so i might go to cancun then head my way back up. i hate hitching but i cant go everywhere i wanna go on trains.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I think @Raging Bird did some extensive traveling in mexico semi-recently. he's already made some posts about it here (use the search or check his posts on his profile).

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
bus travel is pretty cheap if you hate hitching. you can go really long distances for not much money. Mexico city is amazing, like no other place I've been. I personally had no problems, but friends of mine got robbed in Mexico city, so be careful, but that kind of goes for being in any big city. I personally hated Cancun, it was really expensive and really touristy. if you've got family there then that obviously changes everything, but there are better places to go in that part of the country in my opinion. I'll try and answer any specific questions you've got abut Mexico. I've been there twice for a few months each time. like Matt said there are a few threads on here with useful info and there's definitely other people on here who've spent time there. good luck with your travels.

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
Oh yeah I messaged you back.

The trains were sketchy but still one of the best experiences I've had traveling. I always was interested in the difference in culture between North and South, East and West. But this is like a WHOLE different culture. A different people, a different world. Definitely worth visiting at some point one way or another.

fefo

Reaction score
so some of the info i got was kinda off.
riding freight is fucking incredible. hitching is a breeze too. you can crack spange but selling shit and busking on a bus works better. you cant fly signs thats for old and disabled people. trash canning was a bit harder and there are no dumpsters, however, you can go into the markets and ask for fruits and vegetables. also, food from street venders are really cheap and they kick down as well. if your not in the touristy parts of mexico cops and military dont fuck with you as much. definitely going back to ride the "bestia". la banda tramp dando el rol por la bestia

Mongo

Reaction score
How long were you down there? what places did you go to? Also what places would you recommend going to?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Thanks for getting back to us man, glad you had an awesome time!

D

Desert

Are the rumors I hear about Mexico true in that it's dangerous for white people to go and hitch around outside the touristy areas? I was told by a couple Mexican friends that if I tried to travel around down there that I'd most likely end up dead. At first I thought they were kidding, but they seemed pretty serious lol

N

Nanaki

Yeah, I would love to hear more stories of bummin' it through Mexico. I have met some folk who hitched all the way down to South America, but never had the chance to hear details and the good/bad. Anyone out there who have done it please share! Its always something that had been on my mind, especially after doing a little traveling through Central America. Would love to go back. :)

fefo

Reaction score
well i dont think its all that dangerous honestly (ive feared for my life much more here in the states) but then again im not a white female that looks like she has money and i spoke the language. however i did meet a few Spaniards who hitched all around Mexico and a Bulgarian guy. actually i met more foreign travelers in mexico then i ever did in the states and none of them where american.
the places i went to in order was Mexico city, Morelia, Colima, Guadalajara, Leon, Guanajuato, Oaxaca, Chiapas, Salina Cruze, Campeche, Merida, tulum, playa de carmen and cancun.
the places i would recommend are : mexico city its a massive place you can find anything you want especially in Tepito but be careful there. check out "el chopo" its a saturday punk flea market they also have shows, aint nothing like it in the world. oaxaca city is awesome too. drink the mescal there oooh and the chocolate and 100 pesos gets you a big ol bag of weed. guanajuato is cool especially if you go for the cervantino festival its a month long in october. its built in the mountains and also has underground tunnels that you can sleep in if your a bum. san cristobal de las casas chiapas is prolly my favorite place in the world. cheap cheap cheap booze ask around for "posh" also known as "whiskey maya" and at the market near downtown 10 peso packs of cigarettes thats less then a dollar and a carton is 60 pesos all of chiapas is pretty cheap. its filled with cool people there is also no narco cartel shit going down there. you'll hear a lot of the locals speaking indigenous languages and there you can find the caracolas where the zapatistas live. its an awesome place and highly recommended

fefo

Reaction score
oh and fuck cancun and the places near by, way to touristy and the cops try to mess with you more. mexico is almost a lawless land but the law that is around is intense.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads