Racism on the road

D

Deleted member 14481

A threat for times we experienced racism in travelers from rides, housing/ crash spots, other travelers, police, and people - in general.

Me traveling the way I did, I never tried to hitchhike or anything. But, I can say I've been denied places to stay because I feel like there was racism behind it. I'm on the couchsurfing website, and there are a lot of areas where it's mostly white men as hosts, and in those areas I am very lucky to be able to find a place to crash. One place I can point out that was bad at the time i was there was Boston Mass. Seriously 99% of the hosts were white and 98% of that were men. I found a host there, and though it wasn't one of the best time of my life I know I was very lucky for that to happen. :(

My skin has also attracted some undesirable characters. I like white people to a degree, but people that want to bash white people 24/ 7 have been attracted to me, and that's not all I talk about. I would like to think I'm smart with a wide variety of engaging subject matters but I've seriously been with people that live to bash white people. Not that they don't deserve it, but sometimes I want to talk about movies and video games. ::artist::

What say you, other travelers of non-white variety? Tell us what you've been going through.

Renegade

Reaction score
A threat for times we experienced racism in travelers from rides, housing/ crash spots, other travelers, police, and people - in general.

Me traveling the way I did, I never tried to hitchhike or anything. But, I can say I've been denied places to stay because I feel like there was racism behind it. I'm on the couchsurfing website, and there are a lot of areas where it's mostly white men as hosts, and in those areas I am very lucky to be able to find a place to crash. One place I can point out that was bad at the time i was there was Boston Mass. Seriously 99% of the hosts were white and 98% of that were men. I found a host there, and though it wasn't one of the best time of my life I know I was very lucky for that to happen. :(

My skin has also attracted some undesirable characters. I like white people to a degree, but people that want to bash white people 24/ 7 have been attracted to me, and that's not all I talk about. I would like to think I'm smart with a wide variety of engaging subject matters but I've seriously been with people that live to bash white people. Not that they don't deserve it, but sometimes I want to talk about movies and video games. ::artist::

What say you, other travelers of non-white variety? Tell us what you've been going through.

Thats really messed up.. sorry people treat you like that. There is good people out there tho.. don't forget that.

D

Deleted member 125

it happens. alot. as a white male i almost feel like people are more inclined to be racist around me because they expect me to feel the same way. its pretty easy to figure people out like that. unfortunetly besides calling people out (not something ide say was such a good idea if you were crashing at a strangers house, who the fuck knows what kinda shit they are up to) or just listening to yer gut is my advice. its a real shame that its such a common thing in the younger traveler community as well, for instance ive seen people wearing nausea t shirts (ide say semi famous for tha "smash racism" design) flat out drop n bombs like its nothing.

this doesnt have much to do with traveling but more to do with how fucking stupid people are, but i was drinking at a bar a few years ago it was kind of a college type crowd but they had pitchers for cheap. anyway alpha male dude gets into it with another guy and starts dropping n bombs at him, after the arguement alpha male dude turns to his group of friends and says to the black dudes to not worry, and that hes not racist, he didnt mean that to them, just to the guy he was insulting. some folks have pretty fucked up logic especially when it comes to their own racism.

Last edited:
Z

zipty6425

And sometimes certain words are simply used out of habit. Just because someone used a certain word, doesn't always express their feelings toward certain people or a race. Maybe that's just the word that comes to mind because its derogatory or negative and their frustrated. I'm a white male. Some of the nicest people I ever met were black guys and girls for that matter. But if I drop something heavy on my toe, there's no telling what's about to fly out of my mouth... And I'm the first to admit, I've said the n word more than my fair share in the past... But only out of habit and frustration. I'm not racist tho. Not at all

Sent from my Z716BL using the Squat the Planet mobile app!

D

Deleted member 125

And sometimes certain words are simply used out of habit. Just because someone used a certain word, doesn't always express their feelings toward certain people or a race. Maybe that's just the word that comes to mind because its derogatory or negative and their frustrated. I'm a white male. Some of the nicest people I ever met were black guys and girls for that matter. But if I drop something heavy on my toe, there's no telling what's about to fly out of my mouth... And I'm the first to admit, I've said the n word more than my fair share in the past... But only out of habit and frustration. I'm not racist tho. Not at all

break that habbit, because that shit is racist. yer exactly the kind of person i was talking about, using hateful terms because yer frustrated doesnt make it not racist. it means maybe instead of going straight to saying that you might want to rethink how you think yer not a racist. because if dropping something heavy on her toe immedietly makes you think something derogatory about a race then yea...ide say yer racist man.

Z

zipty6425

Your right about everything, except the part where I judge people by the color of their skin... That I do not do... Its habit. That's my point, you hear a word so many times and it becomes a habit to say it... If you try not to say it, then you only say it when your mad... Why do black people say it everyday and their not considered racist for it? But the minute a white dude says it, everybody shits their pants.

D

Deleted member 125

Your right about everything, except the part where I judge people by the color of their skin... That I do not do... Its habit. That's my point, you hear a word so many times and it becomes a habit to say it... If you try not to say it, then you only say it when your mad... Why do black people say it everyday and their not considered racist for it? But the minute a white dude says it, everybody shits their pants.

i never said you judge people on the color of their skin, i just said you might wanna rethink that habbit of yers, because its pretty racist. if yer habbit is to drop a n bomb when yer mad, that is racist.

and are you seriously asking why its generally accepted for a black person to say that but you cant? please tell me you are joking, because if so, you got me good one. if not...holy shit man.

N

Notmyname

I like white people to a degree, but people that want to bash white people 24/ 7 have been attracted to me, and that's not all I talk about. I would like to think I'm smart with a wide variety of engaging subject matters but I've seriously been with people that live to bash white people. Not that they don't deserve it
pretty ironic. a racist thread about racism on the road lol

• Haha
Reactions: beersalt
A

A New Name

and are you seriously asking why its generally accepted for a black person to say that but you cant? please tell me you are joking, because if so, you got me good one. if not...holy shit man.
So, according to that logic, black people can use the word nigger and other people can't. Right. I think that's racist right there, and that you are racist aswell, altho not hatefuly, and keep it under a guise of political correctness.

D

Deleted member 125

So, according to that logic, black people can use the word nigger and other people can't. Right. I think that's racist right there, and that you are racist aswell, altho not hatefuly, and keep it under a guise of political correctness.

thats gotta be the dumbest shit that ive read in a while.

D

Deleted member 125

ok @Bruno ill bite.

break that habbit, because that shit is racist. yer exactly the kind of person i was talking about, using hateful terms because yer frustrated doesnt make it not racist. it means maybe instead of going straight to saying that you might want to rethink how you think yer not a racist. because if dropping something heavy on her toe immedietly makes you think something derogatory about a race then yea...ide say yer racist man.

what about that is confusing to you? its pretty straight forward.

i didnt say that, you even quoted what i said but apparently didnt read it. i said its generally accepted for black people to use it. i didnt say i thought it was ok. and as for my hiding behind a pc curtain, im not pc. im just not a fucking bigot.

and damn whats with the ratings latly, they dont mean anything. if you thought my post was "confusing" or "meh" please contribute to the thread by actually saying something other then clicking a button.

A

A New Name

ok @Bruno ill bite.

what about that is confusing to you? its pretty straight forward.

i didnt say that, you even quoted what i said but apparently didnt read it. i said its generally accepted for black people to use it. i didnt say i thought it was ok. and as for my hiding behind a pc curtain, im not pc. im just not a fucking bigot.

and damn whats with the ratings latly, they dont mean anything. if you thought my post was "confusing" or "meh" please contribute to the thread by actually saying something other then clicking a button.

Well then, excuse me if I misread. And I did not mean to disrespect you.
My point is: Language isn't just about the words that are used, it's also, and maybe mostly, about how it's used. Writting or saying the word nigger doesn't make you a biggot. Using it with hateful intent does.

Durian

Reaction score
Im black and definitely not racist I love you the same way you love me . I've been in a few situations where the color of my skin put me in awkward situations . You get a feeling of immediate unwelcome . your automatically stereotyped , or treated less fortunate . I've met very cool ass down to earth whites, Brown's etc. I like to party have fun avoid confrontations ,trouble and people on there own agenda . You you get bad vibes just back off go elsewhere . but I hope to meet non racist people out there.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads