quail: no idea what i'm doing.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I love my pistol crossbow, but I wouldn't take it on the road. Cops HATE crossbows. even the cheesy pistol crossbows have more usable puncture force at close range than most small arms fire. most crossbows will penetrate bulletproof vests much more often than pistol fire will at close range.

Slingshots are also problematic, I hear possession is a felony in NJ. Maybe you'll have to get good with an improvised sling? Plenty of ammo!

spoorprint

Reaction score
I've never tried this, but a couple of places I've read suggestions that you can bait lines with hooks and catch birds with them the same way you survival fish.Tie one end of the line to a branch and put some tasty bait out where the bird can see it.Uses multiple lines to increase your chances.

Sounds nasty, I 'don't know why I have more sympathy for birds than fish, but it might be good to use in a real emergency. And obviously, don't leave the hooks out on trails or beaches.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I heard of this kid in baltimore who uses pit traps to catch animals and eat them who used pit traps. The secret is to have a large rock raised over the hole with some smaller stones and then to scare the suckers in. The other variation has food in the bottom of the pit and makes the large rock fall in, pinning the animal inside as a combination deadfall/pit trap.

Wotan

Reaction score
Website
wodinswrath.blogspot.com
I saw this on a episode of the British Bush craft master Ray Mears. You will need about three feet of string or thin twine and a hand full of trail mix. Knot bits of fruit along the string at two inch intervals. Tie the end of the string tightly to the base of a tree. Make sure the baited twine is visible to a bird walking in the underbrush. If you are lucky a partridge or some game bird will find it. Once the bird starts eating along the rope it becomes trapped for it cannot vomit it up. I saw this survival dude do it successfully. I plan on trying it next time I'm in the bush.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Follow birds till dark,observe where they roost.Throwing stick will work,but you can slip up if you are quiet,pluck a couple off the branch if low enough and wring their necks.Keep in mind to wait a few min. after they roost(usually not more than 5' off the ground) 'til they go to sleep.If quiet enough can get several before the ones left panic.

sleep

Reaction score
A blowgun might work they are easy to make and pretty accurate with practice.

Be careful carrying sling shots they are illegal in most places but if you have one iron ore pellets make great ammo and you can find tons of them near the train tracks if you look around they just look like little brown balls.

hartage

Reaction score
The best way I know of getting meat in the wilderness with the least amount of materials and effort with the highest rate of success would be snares. You can set several along various game trails low to the ground. You can trap quail, rabbits just about anything. Snares are really can be nothing more than a loop of string but preferably braided cable or other chew resistant and strong string. I'm not advocating leg snares. But low vertical set snares that will be quick through asphyxiation around neck.

Google it. Buy one or two ready made snares. When you understand better how they work and what makes them work, make your own.

The appeal of snares is their effectiveness, you can set several then just do something else or just wait. Check on them a bit later and see what you have. Expenditure of YOUR energy is minimal. Another appeal is minimal cost and materials. A dozen small snares can fit in the palm of your hand mere a ounce or two of weight. Compared to other methods suggested here, dirt cheap. Also if LE looks through your pack snares are not a threat to LE so it won't give you issues with them. Though you'll have to look at your particular state's laws to see if mere possession of snares in the wilderness is against the law. Some states prohibit snares.

Reactions: Bl3wbyyou

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads