Video - Pros & Cons of Hammock Camping | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Video Pros & Cons of Hammock Camping

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Having made the switch from tent to hammock a few years ago my preference for quality of sleep Is hammock have deep jungle xl and the xxl safari from Hennessy rarely have I been in a situation where I couldn't improvise a set up but I do most of my camping in Florida. I've found out in the south west using power poles and guy wires can work, I feel like the stealth camping options are way more varied using the hammock a key consideration for travelling. Use in wetlands too..

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Down south they are probably practical- they certainly are in Mexico and other tropical places. And they are useful in very steep places with no flat ground, like much of Vermont.

BUT

Being warm in a hammock in cold weather requires carrying as much, or if you spend a lot of $, almost as much, weight as a very light tent/air-mattress set-up. A hammock needs way more tarp than a tall (i'm 6'2") person does on the ground to stay dry(ish).

Also, the more expensive Hennesseys run like $299, which is more $ than all my camping gear combined. (not car camping stuff for my wife and kid, but shit i personally take when traveling alone; if i included family car-camping stuff and my stuff, it probably would be $299 total). Includng my hammock (Grand Trunk).

Last edited:

MFB

Reaction score
Echoing OTD,
Hammocks are great for lower altitudes and latitudes, but if ya go up north or up high its hard to stay warm in one, even in summer.

Maki40

Reaction score
Prefer sleeping on the ground. Hammock s are super uncomfortable for me. Plus the mosquitoes bite right through them. Only good if you literally can't find a piece of dry flat ground which I doubt. Usually always somewhere you can sleep... I've slept on a pile of Jagged rocks in the Everglades and on slants on mountains with no flat ground. But 99.99 % of the time there's no need for it.

The Drifter

Reaction score
Pros: hammocks are very versatile and comfortable. Cons: Good gear is expensive. This week I have paid £302 ($405) for a Warbonnet wooki -20F underquilt and £264 for a cumulus topquilt. That's more than I paid for my i5 7th gen laptop and second hand ebike combined. The cost does not even include the import fees. I could have gone cheaper by buying a synthetic underquilt and topquilt and a inflatable sleeping mat right here in the UK. But that would have bulkier and heavier to carry. Plus I would have wanted to upgrade it in the future. This is a one and done deal, my hammock kit is now complete.

Last edited:
Reactions: Svintah5635

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads