Problem with scanner | Squat the Planet

Problem with scanner

bcob

Reaction score
I have a Radio Shack Pro-82. Everything was working fine until I held down the key lock button. The little key symbol did not show up on the display but the keypad stopped working. I held it down again to unlock it but nothing happened. I am unable to reset or reinitialize the scanner.

I spent hours looking at the manual to no avail. Is it just a goner?

churl

Reaction score
Website
clamstalk.com
That's a weird thing to happen. I'd say just go buy a new scanner and return the old one in the new box. I'm assuming that you tried all the obvious things like new batteries and praying to a long dead desert hippie demon. If the scanner is old and you're unable to return it, try some surgery and put the working hardware in the beat-up case and the broke parts in the shiny new one.

Tao_of_Pi

Reaction score
RadioShack PRO-82 200-Channel VHF/Air/UHF Handheld Scanner (200-0315)

You can download the manual there. But I agree man, it doesn't look good. I own a newer model but don't really know enough about scanners to even guess what the problem is.

If you bought it off ebay rather recently (like past 60 days) you can ask the seller to allow you to return it. IF he refuses, and you were smart enough to pay through paypal you can explain the situation to PP and they will likely credit his account for the balance and debit it back into yours. In matters like this, 9 times out of 10 ebay will side with the buyer, so you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my scanner, the scan feature stopped working and even though it said it was in scan mode, stayed in manual. I took it to radio shack and the guy hooked a little cabel into it, did something on the computer and got it working again. Radio shack stuff has a tendency to be shit and the employees there will often help with fixing your shit if its a common problem. I don't think the Pro-82 is sold anymore so your chances of returing it are pretty slim.

Tao_of_Pi

Reaction score
I seriously doubt that you spent hours looking at the manual and you have no idea how to handle the issue your having.

I think he meant that he spent hours looking around his house for the physical manual. And what the fuck was the point of your post? To insult him? Or are you just trying to up your post count to get into the trainhopping forum?

Reactions: ByronMc

gab

Reaction score
Don't know if it works like a computer, but if yes you can open it and look for a little battery that hold the memory of the scanner(as those that are in watches) remove and replace it. It will be a real hard-reset..!

sorry for my poor english,

gab

bcob

Reaction score
Don't know if it works like a computer, but if yes you can open it and look for a little battery that hold the memory of the scanner(as those that are in watches) remove and replace it. It will be a real hard-reset..!

Yeah, I was hoping that it wouldn't come to that but it looks like it's time to break out the ol' soldering iron. Thanks.

@RRReconnaissance: I have the manual right here, I've read it backwards and forwards. Maybe you could point me to a page number or something since the answer is obviously right in front of my face and I'm just too stupid to see it.

Reactions: ByronMc

menu

Reaction score
there should still be a tutorial on here for scanners. unless wider got rid of it before he bounced. Ill look for it

urbanflow

Reaction score

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads