Post questions you want answered in the podcast here! | Squat the Planet

Post questions you want answered in the podcast here!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, so I'm interested in starting a new segment of the show where we answer people's questions on the podcast. So, I'm starting this thread here so people can post questions they'd like us to answer on the show. You can post here, or send me a private message, or if you want to be more anonymous, you can send an email to feedback@squattheplanet.com.

If the question is of a very personal nature, or you want to remain anonymous, please state that in the message and I will make sure to exclude any identifying information from the message when we read it on the show.

Thank you for your help in making this podcast as useful as possible :)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
geez, i can't believe we didn't get a single question in 2 months.

D

Deleted member 20

Here is a question:
What happens to STP after @Matt Derrick ?

Would it simply cease to exist (remember digihitch)? Are there provisions in place to continue what exists (hosting, coding,ownership)?

Secondary big picture type group of related questions: Could the digital communal concept that exists here at STP ever grow/evolve to become something more concrete, longterm, egalitarian & or sustainable. Could STP ever be structured as a 501c3 nonprofit so that it could solicit & receive in kind donations of "real property", grants etc? Could it be/is it already an LLC? Could it ever be possible that STP could acquire infrastructure such as land, buildings, ,vehicles with a defined mission statement, democratic board, budget, and the like. Obviously we are all here for a short time with younger generations seeking more mainstream platforms to meet, communicate, share ideas etc. Could the maturity, experience, effort, energy and resources of some of us aging middle aged folks & unknown others be constructed/consolidated into something else? An alternative retirement village, lol? or something of a steward for future generations? While the potential is hypothetical & therefore endless, could the forum ever function to grow as a collective, worker coop, intentional community, drop in center, performance space, maker space, private land camping space etc?

Could STP ever grow to be something more for even more people?

Last edited:

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
I am absolutely interested in being a part of any effort that seeks to see these things come to be. I couldn't imagine a better retirement plan.
I know Matt has previously expressed interest in establishing physical spaces that serve as traveler hubs. This is something I would get behind with a passion.
Not only do I thoroughly enjoy hosting like-minded travelers--young and old--but I am highly motivated to share such spaces with my fierce teenage daughters, who were radically raised in anarchist communities.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
okay so since the podcast is on the backburner at the moment until i handle some other StP related things, i figure i'll just answer these questions here for those interested.

What happens to STP after @Matt Derrick ?

Would it simply cease to exist (remember digihitch)? Are there provisions in place to continue what exists (hosting, coding,ownership)?

First off, I store all my passwords in a password manager for safe keeping. This includes all the passwords for everything StP related, from the server level to website logins and everything in between. The master password for all of this has been safely stored with one of my family members. In the event of my untimely demise, it's their responsibility to find someone to take over StP and give them the keys to the kingdom.

In addition, one of the reasons digihitch imploded is because it was a patchwork of many different content systems, which makes it incredibly difficult for someone to take over that didn't build the system itself. i've intentionally kept StP to one piece of software so anyone taking over wouldn't have to dissect a patchwork of different systems.

Hopefully, my eventual demise happens later than sooner, because I would like to have some kind of board of directors to hand these keys to, which leads us to the next question:

Could STP ever be structured as a 501c3 nonprofit so that it could solicit & receive in kind donations of "real property", grants etc?

Yes, this has been my long term plans for StP for several years now. It's been more of a 'long term' goal which is why I haven't made it happen sooner, I've just had a lot of different projects that needed to be attended to first.

Could it be/is it already an LLC?

StP is currently not incorporated in any way, including as a non-profit. As stated above, I would like this to happen, but am still weighing the options and pros/cons of LLC vs non-profit. The latter seems more realistic.

Could it ever be possible that STP could acquire infrastructure such as land, buildings, ,vehicles with a defined mission statement, democratic board, budget, and the like.

Again, this has been in my 'long term goals' list. Specifically, I would like to build a IRL community center of sorts for travelers. Personally, I would like it to take the form of either a hostel, an RV park, or something that is a little bit of both.

It needs research since I haven't looked into it in many years, but I attended a panel at an anarchist conference once about 'land trusts' which are spaces not owned by any one particular person, but rather a board of directors and is immune to things like eminent domain. also, this would put any owned property outside possible reclaimation from my personal debts.

An alternative retirement village, lol? or something of a steward for future generations?

I've often joked about it being a 'retirement home for ex-travelers' but i'd also like it to be a space for new travelers to come and learn. We'd have a library, panels and workshops on travel, people to network with (at the space and give references to other spaces in the world), a place for travelers to stay, traveler related services such as mail boxes and supplies like extra tents, sleeping bags, etc to give/send to those that got their gear stolen or whatever.

those are just a few ideas to give you an idea of what i'm shooting for.

Could STP ever grow to be something more for even more people?

yes, i believe so, and it is my goal to get to that stage. first off, i've basically set a goal to end the majority of the website work that will occur on StP. the website would still be maintained and occasional minor upgrades/new features added, but for the most part, I think the website has reached it's maximum potential in terms of features and doohickys to increase useability.

so, that said, once i finish up the projects im working on (currently the resources and atlas sections) i believe the only way forward is to start promoting StP as a concept that can work IRL, so I believe at that point is when we will start doing the research and organization necessary to make what i've previously discussed happen.

on a side note, this is also when i want to move back into doing documentary film work related to StP and underground cultures, but that's a subject for another time.

currently, i believe the ETA for finishing these projects is about 1 to 2 months out.

i've already discussed some of the possibilities with the moderators of StP, and as it stands right now are probably the most likely candidates for the board of directors, since im really only interested in inviting people onto that board that have shown a significant interest and a track record of investing work into StP.

so, that's kind of where we are at this point. it's a bit vague, but that's because the details need to be hashed out amongst those that are invested enough in making something like this happen. Future discussion of these projects will likely go on in this section of the forums although it's a bit of a mess right now, and i will need to clean that up...

Last edited:
Reactions: bones32

AlexFrost91

Reaction score
I know some of you guys have heard of this thing where they bus the homeless out of states and into others and I wonder if a subsection in the ride board can be set up so we can have so and so in x state to vouch for us as having a place to stay in that state so they write out a greyhound ticket for that place. I want to go to either El Paso or Laredo or Mexicali or Los Angeles but I'd need someone from there for them to call when they prepare to hand out the ticket to be able to pick up the phone and say for example "yes, I know him well, he can stay with me at x place y street" and I can be bussed out where I want to go and so can all others in the future. Memphis has the bussing out the homeless thing and I will potentially be there tomorrow with nowhere to go. Memphis is nice for hookers, BBQ and sightseeing but afterwards, I want to go elsewhere and I'm a greenhorn to trainhopping with zero gear. Vouching for people so they can get a free ticket where they want to go would be awesome.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I know some of you guys have heard of this thing where they bus the homeless out of states and into others and I wonder if a subsection in the ride board can be set up so we can have so and so in x state to vouch for us as having a place to stay in that state so they write out a greyhound ticket for that place. I want to go to either El Paso or Laredo or Mexicali or Los Angeles but I'd need someone from there for them to call when they prepare to hand out the ticket to be able to pick up the phone and say for example "yes, I know him well, he can stay with me at x place y street" and I can be bussed out where I want to go and so can all others in the future. Memphis has the bussing out the homeless thing and I will potentially be there tomorrow with nowhere to go. Memphis is nice for hookers, BBQ and sightseeing but afterwards, I want to go elsewhere and I'm a greenhorn to trainhopping with zero gear. Vouching for people so they can get a free ticket where they want to go would be awesome.

okay, well, first off, you need to start paying attention to where you're posting because the majority of your posts have been in areas completely unrelated to what you're posting about.

2nd, you're on a travel website dedicated to showing people how to travel cheaply as a lifestyle, not just because you're too lazy to hitchhike and you need someone to give you a free ride.

i usually don't like to shit on green horns, but all of your posts come off as incredibly naive. for example, you're unwilling to get into a car with a stranger, yet, you're completely willing to risk your life by either getting cut apart trying to hop on a train or die of exposure to the cold because you have no gear for riding that train.

do you see the problem here? frankly, i think you need to either go home or grow a pair and do what you need to do to get to where you need to go. those are your choices, and no one here is going to carry you to your destination.

you don't get anything out of life without having to put forth some kind of effort.

D

Deleted member 20

I would like this to happen, but am still weighing the options and pros/cons of LLC vs non-profit.
It may be worth knowing that a 501c3 nonprofit can own one or multiple for profit LLCs. I have had some experience with for profit/low profit entities that were created to generate profits but were owned by a charity. Net profits would be donated back into the nonprofit entity. Some times this is structured as a drop down corp. Providing the proceeds from the for profit business are separately taxable and the businesses are not substantially related to advancing its exempt purpose which might put the 501c3 status in jeopardy. Anything in these areas requires good record keeping, distinct officers accurate minutes, clear mission statements etc. http://www.nonprofitlawblog.com/nonprofit-limited-liability-company-2/

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads