Places You Enjoy Most

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Surprised that I could not find such a thread in the search. Forgive me if I duping one.

This is sort of a companion to the Places You Hate Most thread I created nearly a decade ago, and which is kinda negative and angsty -- though useful in helping others to find out where NOT to plan to hang around. This thread, though, will help you get an idea of places that are better to hang around.

Please say the places that you personally find most enjoyable to exist in in any way. So don't feel the need to list the cliche places that travelers hang out, but if you really deeply enjoy the place or just enjoy the atmosphere and pace of life in a place, do mention it. Also, describe if you can the reasons why you enjoy that place. It can be a city, a province, or another country outside of your own stomping grounds.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I really like small cities / towns in Western Canada. I tend to be partial to the places where I have friends, but these places are a great place to chill out.

Medicine Hat, although it is the Wawa, or "hitcher's hell" of Western Canada, is a pretty chill place to get stuck and hang out. Easy freight hops heading West or East from here, and plenty of bushy places to hang out in the summer. The people seem pretty nice and tolerant. There's a nice river to campout by (always a highlight for me!)

Kamloops! Again, easy hops out East and West, plus small mountain city feel, and easy to navigate downtown. Also pretty chill, and a nice river to sleep beside. Also, you can camp out in their parks from dusk til town, from what I hear. Another chill place to relax.

Olympia, WA. I don't know any of the kids in that city personally, but I like it because as a traveler I know I will meet somebody else there. Even the scummiest kids there are pretty nice, and there's usually an awesome show or there. Good zine collection at the library and pretty down-to-earth town in my experience. Yeah, I know this is a cliche suggestion, but coming from Canada, where there are no definitive traveler meeting points, this was like a breath of fresh air. In fact, most of the United States Northwest was.

Winnipeg. What can I say, home is home. I don't mind being static here. That's more than I can say for places like Calgary, New York, Ohio, etc.

Your turn.

Dead horse

Reaction score
I'm kinda partial to Vancouver and surrounding area, Tofino is a great fucking place and everybody who's anybody in Canada should know that, Hamilton is home so i always got a soft spot for it and the Niagra region . Moncton has always been a fun place in the summer .. Can't say 100% what would be number 1 . Revelstoke and Golden are always fun for walking around and looking at mountains ya Kamloops too.

Unslap

Reaction score
Rnj this thread is way better... Been watching the other one grow for years and i'm tired of it.
In the so-cal desert this winter (slabs) i spent about a week getting mad stoned each day. I'd hike alone out of the town, smoke a doob, and sit there thinking for hours. Really unique and sirene. I also learned to appreciate cannabis like never before!

exstinksean

Reaction score
peterborough ontario
small university town about an hour and a half outside toronto. very laid back,lots of cool people. close enough to T.O. but also far enough away..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads