pedaling on the cheap | Squat the Planet

pedaling on the cheap

juno

Reaction score
how do you stretch your dollars when it's time to go the distance?
let's say theoretically you have no musical talent, so busking is out the window.
how long could you pedal on 3-4 grand?
if you make sure you run into a lot of grocery outlets, work exchange gigs, and bicycle kitchens, i imagine you could cruise for quite the while.
thoughts?

KittyCosmos

plutonian mick
Reaction score
Website
alleyaddict.tumblr.com
With 3-4 grand squirreled away, I would assume one could travel for quite some time, especially if you're the frugal type. Generally, I live off less than that each year, and I've been travelling half on/half off for the last few years (so I could spend more time with my son). Do everything on a budget like you don't have much to work with and, I imagine, being able to stretch that for at least a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tude

juno

Reaction score
With 3-4 grand squirreled away, I would assume one could travel for quite some time, especially if your the frugal type. Generally, I love off less than that each year, and I've been travelling half on/half off for the last few years (so I could spend more time with my son). Do everything on a budget like you don't have much to work with and, I imagine, being able to stretch that for at least a year.

DANG! now i'm wondering what i was even fretting about.
wowie... that's encouraging.

Reactions: Juan Derlust

KittyCosmos

plutonian mick
Reaction score
Website
alleyaddict.tumblr.com
I'm a fairly frugal person, working on a budget is like a game for me. Whether at home base or on the road, I feel that I live pretty comfortably. Nothing to extravagant, but I stay fed, hydrated, entertained, and enjoy my time here on this rock. You can do it! I'm just patiently waiting for the right rocker rambling through my way to catch my next lift, and I'll only be leaving with a hundo or so.

train in vain

Reaction score
DANG! now i'm wondering what i was even fretting about.
wowie... that's encouraging.
Cosign what he said. 3-4k at your disposal is a hell of a lot by my standard. I could travel for a year and be having a blast the whole time haha.

juno

Reaction score
I'm a fairly frugal person, working on a budget is like a game for me. Whether at home base or on the road, I feel that I live pretty comfortably. Nothing to extravagant, but I stay fed, hydrated, entertained, and enjoy my time here on this rock. You can do it! I'm just patiently waiting for the right rocker rambling through my way to catch my next lift, and I'll only be leaving with a hundo or so.

frugality olympics over here. thank you for the inspiration and words of encouragement :)

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
And to save what you have, don't forget the free meals at soup kitchens along the way. That way, you don't have to spend much at mom & pop grocery stores. And avoid hotel/motel fees, just camp free on public land and don't forget the website: warmshowers.org there's plenty of help. I am in the planning stages to ride my bike across the USA in the near future. Good luck!

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
Alastair Humphreys pedaled for 4 years on $7,000. You definitely can make that money stretch a looooong way! I'd try to find odd jobs here and there. I'm not one for sponging off of people or stealing, I'd rather work for the money I have, OR, dumpster dive if you can- a ton of good food gets thrown away.

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
much like @bandit my average income was around 3-4k a year just hitchhiking, so other than some equipment, you'll be able to make that stretch pretty far, especially if you get on food stamps, go to free kitchens, etc.

Gabriel Pullman

Reaction score
One and 1/2 year no work.
If ya work and do this. Who knows.
If you dumpsters dive, work. And get on food stamps. You shouldn't touch 3 grand at all.

And don't carry cash unless you look super bummy.and smell

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads