Pair Found Dead in Coal Sought Freedom of Rails

Kalalau

Reaction score
I tested a coal car out... found it not too tall... hopped off in town for a drink... then plopped into a different car....apparently a much taller one... had to put my pack into my sleepingbag and hold the bottom and sling it out over the edge like a grappling hook to get out..... never again... 10 years later and I think I still have coal dust on me from that.

nameless

Reaction score
yea Chris was a cool kid youd think somewhere at the Coalmine there wouldve been a Camera for that reason but not required by law i guess To many ppl die cause they dont know how to ride properly or get advise from an oogle hate to see anyone die like that it takes a tragedy to get the point to some ppl i met a couple oogles in Birmingham AL they looked like they just ran into a barbed wire fence one had 122 stitches on his face broke arm almost lost his leg or life the other cut up bad bragged they rode suicide from Montgomery it was summer time i thought between Bham an Monkey town theres no towers if you cant find a grainer with a floor ride the roof just get off before you get to the yd

what? you're saying who to not take advice from, yet you suggest riding a grainer roof if you cant find a porch? lol i think nobody should take your advice

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Cool Breeze

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ive been ridin for 20 years the roof is safe if your laying flat plenty of space between you an tbe bottom of over passes cause theres 5 ft of difference from the top of a grainer an the top of a double stack

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Ive been ridin for 20 years the roof is safe if your laying flat plenty of space between you an tbe bottom of over passes cause theres 5 ft of difference from the top of a grainer an the top of a double stack

that advice is fucking asinine. it's that kind of stuff that blows it up for everyone else.

Reactions: meathook

Cool Breeze

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Well fuck all of you ive been doing this since before the internet i never said take my advise so go ahead ride suicide all you fucking yuppies that spange for beer then grt drunk get cut in half can just kiss my ass i don't give a fuck i ride alone i tote a 90 lb oack an still catch on the fly so just piss off

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Well fuck all of you ive been doing this since before the internet i never said take my advise so go ahead ride suicide all you fucking yuppies that spange for beer then grt drunk get cut in half can just kiss my ass i don't give a fuck i ride alone i tote a 90 lb oack an still catch on the fly so just piss off

yes, yes, we all heard about how you were circumcised on the fly as well. indeed, you are a truly amazing hobo incapable of dispensing bad advice.

• Haha
Reactions: DoctorApocalypse

Uncle Mom

Reaction score
Website
www.freedirtfilm.com
this is one reason I don't ride coal.

ATTENTION - IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW LONG YOU HAVE BEEN RIDING, HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE, WHAT YOUR AGE IS, HOW SOBER YOU ARE.... accidents happen.

Reactions: Shakou

Uncle Mom

Reaction score
Website
www.freedirtfilm.com

Then why are you on the internet? I guess we don't need you or your conversation either.

Reactions: Matt Derrick
D

Deleted member 20

I remember an old timer telling me a story about belting yourself in to the top. He always traveled with climbing gear so he would be able to ride more dangerous rides without dying. He told me he would have rather ride an oil tank than a coal car any day of the week. I met him in Birmingham outside of a gas station. We went together to atlanta, and he taught me some tricks that kept me out of some super scary neighborhoods. Has anyone else used climbing gear to strap themselves along the ladder as they rest on the coal? Imagine how the hell this old fart found out about this trick. it blows my mind. i have personally taken some precautions to ride some shitty rides, but nothing to this extent. sounds pretty bitchin if i say so myself.
I wear a military riggers belt & also carry severall carabiners & a retention lanyard jik. The riggers belts can be found online at most military surplus stores, Blackhawk makes one as well. They have a 6000lb rating & metal d-ring for attaching carabiners &
figure 8 descenders for rappeling but also a good way to secure yourself on a sketchy ride. I have a full body tree harness that I improvised into a rappeling harness as well but never ride with it, even if it was a fully padded seat harness & you rigged yourself up, your legs would definately cramp up something awefull. I remeber Lee marvins character in Emperor of the north using a basic belt to strap himself onto the passenger train. The short 24" military retention harness I use is for air operations, is made of 2" webbing with a steel d-ring at one end & a loop on the other side. Carabiners can attach the loop to a fixed point or just feed the bitter end through the loop to attach. Sorry for reviving an old post but it seemed like an appropriate place to share my methods.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads