Packing help | Squat the Planet

Packing help

BenAxeMan

Reaction score
8811 breezewood drive Pittsburgh pa 15237
Hey everyone, I made a packing list of things I want to/think I should take with me when I start train hopping and hitch hiking. I tried to think light but the more I thought the more I remembered something I temembered I should bring. I'm packing it all into a medium sized Alice pack with the hell cat modification and the fourth generation Molle carrying frame. I want all the gear including the pack itself, the water, and even the set of clothes that would be on me instead of packed away to all collectively weigh 30 pounds or less. If you guys could tell me some things on this list I could get rid of or anything I forgot I needed or just have any advice at all I'd apreciate it greatly.

Pants
-black patched jeans
-brownish grey jeans, rolled up legs

Bandana

Vest (covered in patches)

Three T shirts

Flannel

Three pairs of boxers

Four pairs of hiking socks

Gloves

Brimmed hat

Beanie

Jungle combat boots

Comfy durable shoes

Ass flaps

30 degree bag and stuff sack

Multi tool knife (for tools)

Small pocket knife (for actual knife stuff)

Eating utensils
-small knife
-small fork
-small spoon
-manaul can opener

Lighter

Floss and needle

Flash light

Duct tape (only a little)

Chain for wallet

Small jar of crunchy peanut butter

Power bars or cliff bars

Beef jerky

Phone

Phone charger

Portable charger

Deck of cards

Plastic poncho

Small first aid kit
-10 ibuprofen
-10 Imodium
-Tweezers
-bandages
-Super glue

Toothbrush and tooth paste

Gallon of water

Towel (small rag)

Ear plugs

Emergency rations

Sharpie

Book of two if there's room

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
Unless I've missed it I can't see any kind of shelter on your list. Like a tarp or tent. Everything else seems sound. I also like to pack a waterproof coat but then I live in England where it rains forever.

BenAxeMan

Reaction score
Ah just seen you've got poncho on your list, that's the coat sorted then :p
I have a fairly nice rain coat leftover from my Boy Scout days, would you recommend bringing that or a plastic poncho. I only said poncho because I figured it would better since it would also cover my pack and legs but the only thing is that ponchos (the ones I can afford atleast) are really cheap and ripable like a trash bag. I've seen durable ponchos that could also be used as a tarp. I don't think I can afford that but who knows, maybe one will find its way into my pocket

Reactions: Testicool

BenAxeMan

Reaction score
what, might i ask, is an ''ass flap''?...
If you know what a bum flap or a butt flap is its the same thing, I just personally call them ass flaps. If that sounds just as weird the I'll explain, it's a piece of fabric or material that's draped over your ass (usually from tieing the ends to your belt loops) so that when you sit down the butt of your pants doesn't actually touch the ground. It helps the pants wear out slower and it also helps keep your butt a little dryer since you won't be sitting in rainy puddles. It's pretty practical and rather easy to make one from absolutely nothing but roadside litter or bits of garbage. It's also kinda associated with crust punks since we're the ones who tend to wear them the most. I could upload a picture of some ass flaps I made if you would like me too.

BenAxeMan

Reaction score
As promised, now if you REALLY wanted me to I suppose I could model them, but, I think you get the picture Lol. I'll upload them in the order I made them but just incase that gets jumbled the juicy came first, then the green one, then the small black one. The first one I made wasn't great and I didn't think of having strings to tie it to your beltloops, instead I just had a long flap of the matieral on it for tying around my stomach. This was rather uncomfortable though because the material I chose was a stiff scratchy piece of black tarp I salvaged from the side of the road, and yes, it says Juicy. A lot of people don't understand the joke but it's making fun of those sweatpants women use to wear a couple years ago that said juicy across the butt. I thought it was funny atleast lol, I guess that's what counts. The second one has an old cloth shower curtain scrap for the flap part and a bungee I found...you guessed it, on the side of the road. That one was extremely uncomfortable as I still hadn't figured out to tie it to belt loops so instead I stretched the bungees around myself and hooked them together in front of me. Those metal hooks would dig in, would not recommend. The third on is the best and simplest, cloth tarp and twine, I had finally learned to use belt loops and honest to god idk why it took me so long to think of that. Enjoy :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 298
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 302
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 334
  • Haha

BenAxeMan

Reaction score
but yea you should probably model them
If I could find a way to take a picture of my own rear (with the assflap on it of course) then I would model them but alas Im not that flexible and currently I don't have any one around who I think would do that for me lol. If we ever cross paths though, I suppose you would get yourself a free live show. An assflap in action if you will. Safe travels friend, good luck in Papua New Guinea.

• Haha

dumpster harpy

Reaction score
Wow, that's awesome. I made a pair of black daisy dukes that said JUICY on the ass about 10 years ago.

Reactions: BenAxeMan
N

Notmyname

I personally would ditch some clothes. Trade a pair of pants for shorts(or cut em) and only take one extra shirt. Clothes are easy to find in the road.also you don't need beef jerky and shit plus emergency rations. Food is easy to find. Ditch a few utensils. And the pair of shoes.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads