Photos - Pack Spread | Squat the Planet

Photos Pack Spread

exiledone956

Reaction score
This is my gear feel free to add anything I might need to add or remove.

backpack • Teton sports scout 3400 55 liters with rain fly

•Clothes•
3 black T-shirts
3 muscle shirts
3 pairs of socks
3 pairs underwear
1 thermal top
1 thermal bottom
1 hoodie*not pictured*
1 baseball cap*not pictured*
1 bandana
1 pair of gloves

•tools and other useful things•
Gerber suspension nxt multitool
Gerber prodigy knife
Keyshaw Hotwire pocket knife
Wowtac als flashlight
Tasco monocle
Roll of 550 paracord
Signal mirror
Button compass
Lighstick
Space blanket
Plastic rain pancho
Ear plugs
Off bug spray

•cooking & fire making
Magellan pocket stove
Magnesium bar
Bic lighter
Matches in waterproof container
Pencil sharpener
Can opener

•sleep system•
trekology inflatable pillow
Magellan arrowhead tent*not pictured*
ozark trail sleeping bag* not pictured*

•hygiene kit•
tooth brush
Toothpaste
Mouthwash
Hand sanitizer
Qtips
Comb
Gold bonds body powder
Chapstick
Pomade
Lotion
Relegated microfiber towel
Deodorant
Cologne
Gum

•first aid kit•

•water stuff•
nalgene wide mouth
Sawyer mini

•stuff I’ll be adding•
Better Sleeping bag
Klymit sleeping pad
Rottay water proof camping tarp
Mess kit

Attachments

• 5EAB5EF9-5C4F-4F94-9126-AD5C193237CB.jpeg
    5EAB5EF9-5C4F-4F94-9126-AD5C193237CB.jpeg
    442.6 KB · Views: 400
  • 42E7E2FA-8D38-471B-9DBA-8AFF1E20849F.jpeg
    42E7E2FA-8D38-471B-9DBA-8AFF1E20849F.jpeg
    332.5 KB · Views: 438

croc

Reaction score
Oof okay, what kind of traveling are u doing?
If ur not goin out hiking to the middle of nowhere, like half of this stuff is unnecessary

MFB

Reaction score
I like that ya bring the pomade. Gotta stay looking fresh! Usually I just throw some shit into a bag and go. Can I borrow a q tip, please?

Reactions: exiledone956

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have the same First Aid kit but what I did was add a survival kit combined. I added a space blanket. extra band-aids. Rubber gloves (two pair) Mini-LED flashlight (spare batteries). Juz my 2 cents

• Epic
Reactions: WyldLyfe

blank

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
You need more socks, and your multitool probably has a can opener so that might be redundant. How heavy is all that shit?

Reactions: brando

MFB

Reaction score
Gotta keep my greasy hair slick haha, sure gotta keep those ear holes clean

Ive come close to climax q tipping my earholes. One of those things. So good! 😌

• Haha
Reactions: Barf

croc

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm curious if you've weighed ur pack so far.

So for city n a little bit of woods u absolutely do not need 6 shirts. I do one t shirt, one tank top, one thermal, one sweater. Then ofc for this time of year, a jacketp. Puffer jackets are great bc of how light weight they are.

Seems like u like stayin kinda clean so maybe instead of a bunch of shirts just make it a priority to wash them regularly. Starbucks bathrooms are great for washing a small thing or two by hand bc their hand dryers are real strong.

Add more socks on there unless u like fungal bacterial infections or having to wash ur socks every 3 days. Take the foot health seriously. Once u have an infection it's a pain in the ass to get rid of/keep gone.

Def don't need a multitool and 2 knives. Hell, I'd even say u just don't need that multitool. They're usually wicked heavy and the odds of u needing something on it other than a knife or can opener are pretty slim. And one of each of those weighs less than a multiool.
Also, ur knife is a pencil sharpener so u could lose that too if u want.

Def don't need a compass. The sun works fine and u don't gotta carry her.

Headlamps are more useful than flashlights but that's bein a little nitpicky.

Tents can def bring a sense of security when ur starting out traveling but unless it's really cold and rainy all the time, u might find urself not even wanting to bother with it. Mine ended up being dead weight n now it's in storage bc fuck carrying 5 lbs u don't even use.

Don't need a 'camping tarp' if u already have a tent, poncho, and ur pack has a rain fly. Either use the rain fly for the tent as a tarp when necessary or ditch the tent entirely n just use the tarp if it rains.

Mouthwash, lotion, pomade, towel, deodorant, cologne. U do u but I think they're all unnecessary. Esp if ur deodorant already has a scent.

This is all based on traveling for the better part of a year n a half and having carried WAY TOO MUCH SHIT for a lot of that time.

As far as anything to add: a beanie.

exiledone956

Reaction score
I haven’t weighed my pack,I do feel like carrying way to much shit, the tent will more than likely be permanently placed and sleeping bag will be in there too so won’t be hauling it around adding more weight. Thanks for the info on what to lose appreciate it.

Reactions: croc

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
I see you have a camp stove, but no fuel can for it in your pack? Also, no metal/stainless mug/pot to cook/heat water? Basically that stove is pointless if you don't have a stainless cup or cook pot, unless you were going to scavenge a tin can Everytime you wanted to heat food/water? I also don't see any spoon or fork or spork.

Dental floss would be a good addition. Can sew with it. You'll also need a needle for that.

That big knife is way overkill. Ditch the multi tool and big knife. The little knife will be enough.

You have way too many shirts in my opinion. 3 pairs of socks is better than 1 or 2 pair, but rotate and wash/rinse/dry them frequently.

Personally, I'm going away from any battery operated flashlights/headlamps. They make USB rechargable ones now. Fuck buying batteries.

I use to like nalgene bottles, but a smart water bottle works just as good, plus you can screw the Sawyer filter directly to the bottle.

I could keep nit picking your set up, but you do you dude. Do it long enough and you'll figure out what YOU need. It looks more like you're trying to do a through hike than walk around town, maybe go out into the woods. Maybe consider more of what you're planning on doing, how long, what region, what kind of weather? Give us more details on your situation and we can be more helpful.

MetalBryan

Reaction score
To be upfront, my pack is a general purpose go-bag. When I think about things, I tend to rationalize them because if I were to "go" it is likely I'd immediately ditch 25% of my pack depending on the situation that caused me to "go"...

I'm trying to get away from my "street clothes" because if you have heavy-duty things you don't need a backup and if you have quick-drying things you don't need as many in the rotation. For example, Check out wool socks (Vermont Darn Tough) because you can wear them a couple days if you air them out.

I think all those clothes would make a nice pillow, so you could ditch that.

Agree with swapping flash light with head lamp. If you are primo, get one with a RED filter so you can search around at night without being detected.

I had a pair of Mechanix gloves and while I loved their grips, the gloves wore out real quick. I'm trying to find a pair of sturdier tactical gloves (similar to Mechanix) that I like. I guess keeping fingers warm would eventually take priority over utility.

I'm with you on the hygiene part - toss in a 40 pack of baby wipes.

If you like tools, like me, check out this ridiculous thing I have in my pack... Amazon.com : ROSE KULI Military Folding Shovel Multitool - Compact Backpacking Tactical Entrenching Tool Hunting Camping Gear Snow Car Shovel with Carrying Case : Sports & Outdoors - https://www.amazon.com/ROSE-KULI-Military-Folding-Multitool/dp/B01N8ZM0DX/

As for water, I've got an empty 24oz Nalgene bottle, x2L of Smart Water (those bottles seem thicker and sturdier for re-use and tossing the pack), and a LifeStraw... TBH the empty Nalgene has basically become a placeholder so I don't put any more stuff in my pack LOL.

Good luck!

exiledone956

Reaction score
I see you have a camp stove, but no fuel can for it in your pack? Also, no metal/stainless mug/pot to cook/heat water? Basically that stove is pointless if you don't have a stainless cup or cook pot, unless you were going to scavenge a tin can Everytime you wanted to heat food/water? I also don't see any spoon or fork or spork.

Dental floss would be a good addition. Can sew with it. You'll also need a needle for that.

That big knife is way overkill. Ditch the multi tool and big knife. The little knife will be enough.

You have way too many shirts in my opinion. 3 pairs of socks is better than 1 or 2 pair, but rotate and wash/rinse/dry them frequently.

Personally, I'm going away from any battery operated flashlights/headlamps. They make USB rechargable ones now. Fuck buying batteries.

I use to like nalgene bottles, but a smart water bottle works just as good, plus you can screw the Sawyer filter directly to the bottle.

I could keep nit picking your set up, but you do you dude. Do it long enough and you'll figure out what YOU need. It looks more like you're trying to do a through hike than walk around town, maybe go out into the woods. Maybe consider more of what you're planning on doing, how long, what region, what kind of weather? Give us more details on your situation and we can be more helpful.
I have a nesting cup so I can use that & canteen that I got from eBay but the canteen starts smelling pretty bad but I’m probably one fuel canister but I’m thinking about getting a foldable camping stove and use pieces of wood and tinder or cooking that I find since fuel can be expensive. I do have dental floss and I also have a crt eat n tool spork. Have change my clothes to 1 pant , 1 shirt , 1 muscle shirt and added 2 more Pairs of socks. My flashlight Is chargeable via usb. I’ll be going to the city to pan handle if I’m not able to get foodstamps or to buy food that’s pretty much in it. Weather is pretty much sunny in the high 90s coldest it’s gets is about mid 50s but that’s rare.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads