pack camouflage

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
So I got a new pack (high sierra summit 45), and it pretty much meets my needs in every possible way except for one. The only color they had left I got it at a closeout sale, CHEAP) was fluorescent orange.

I'm trying to avoid the "I'm a yuppie, rob me", statement that a flashy new pack seems to make. What should I do?

Roll it around in the mud?
Sew patches all over it?
Paint it?
Dye it?
Cover it in duct tape?

I'm seeing all sorts of possibilities for arts and crafts here. Anyone ever done this with a pack that has ideas?

steelcitybrew

Reaction score
I say give'r a coat of spray paint and you'll be golden.
Personally Im pretty lazy when it comes to cosmetics, I couldnt spend the time sewing patches to it.
But a pack wrapped in duck tape could have a world of pros to it.
my opinion anyways

UrbanNokizaru

Reaction score
Website
ninjabikeslut.tumblr.com
If you could sew on the duct tape (probably more reliable long term) you'll get a ton of perks from that, or else if you wanna do a quick job get a large cloth that you can tie on and take off of it quickly that has a darker color.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
I'm wondering about this for a sleeping bag.
My concern with applying spraypaint is the eventual flaking and mess that would make.
I'm wondering if some application of black fabric dye (the damn bag is bright orange) would set in the nylon threads so it never bleeds when it gets damp, or if spreading dye all over it will make it heavier and less compact-able.
Thoughts?

steelcitybrew

Reaction score
fusion-camouflage.png

http://www.krylon.com/products/camouflage_paint_with_fusion_technology/

This is the stuff Wider's talking about. Never used it on fabric, or pack fabric, so Im not sure if it would flake.
Advertises it bonds to plastics, so i think this might be your best bet.

Used it on a plastic mesh for a project, never flaked.

I would have thought there would be a fabric dye in a spray can by now or something ... anyone know?

UrbanNokizaru

Reaction score
Website
ninjabikeslut.tumblr.com
Something else you can do it make cloth rag cover, this can either be more or less convenient depending on the size of the object to be camouflaged, but cutting up some sturdy dark cloth into a net-like pattern that could be thrown over something might work out.

sleep

Reaction score
Maybe just hang a heavy poncho or piece of canvas over it until it get nice and dirty.

614 crust

Ex-Moderator / Elitist asshole
Reaction score
Website
feralkidscreations.com
I had this bi red pack i painted black i used to carry and never had any problems with it. I'd go with the spray paint. quick easy and works well.

Jankem

Reaction score
Im gonna agree with the comments about krylon cammo paint. That stuff really works for that kind of thing. Another paint option is Rust-o-leum flat black. Ive used both and they work great.

tallhorseman

Reaction score
I would definitely try dying it first. I recently got some really good results dying a yellow tent with brown Ritt Dye.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads