Oneonta, NY

UlfurinnHCT

Reaction score
Hey there. I'm in Oneonta New York. I am very welcoming to Travelers (can't speak for the snotty townies) and I would love to share safe comfy places to stop. In the warmer parts of the year this town is full of great places with great views to hunker down for a day or two or more if you move around. Our undeveloped spaces are getting more gentrified with a lot of hikers and mountain bikers but if you're clever you can avoid them entirely. I'd be happy to offer any hints. I only ask that you be good guests and leave the Wild Spaces as nicely as you found them as possible. We had a couple come through a few days ago, a girl and a guy with a crescent tattoo around his eye. We were very friendly when we saw them because we knew they were Travellers. They pitched a tent near the head of the New Island Trail and completely trashed the place. It looks like a bomb went off and now the authorities are combing that area for wildlings and it's pretty sad. I mean I feel like this couple probably ended up with some Karma since they pitched their tent in the middle of a bunch of stinging nettles and spiky thistles but it's still kind of sucks that there's heat in the area now.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Nice and thank you - I also welcome travelers to a little more upstate (Rochester NY) as well. And yeah it really sucks when campers/travelers are rude to the area and leave a mess. :( But hey - welcome to STP!!

RottonCotton

Reaction score
Hey there. I'm in Oneonta New York. I am very welcoming to Travelers (can't speak for the snotty townies) and I would love to share safe comfy places to stop. In the warmer parts of the year this town is full of great places with great views to hunker down for a day or two or more if you move around. Our undeveloped spaces are getting more gentrified with a lot of hikers and mountain bikers but if you're clever you can avoid them entirely. I'd be happy to offer any hints. I only ask that you be good guests and leave the Wild Spaces as nicely as you found them as possible. We had a couple come through a few days ago, a girl and a guy with a crescent tattoo around his eye. We were very friendly when we saw them because we knew they were Travellers. They pitched a tent near the head of the New Island Trail and completely trashed the place. It looks like a bomb went off and now the authorities are combing that area for wildlings and it's pretty sad. I mean I feel like this couple probably ended up with some Karma since they pitched their tent in the middle of a bunch of stinging nettles and spiky thistles but it's still kind of sucks that there's heat in the area now.
This is one creepy but cool post.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
sounds cool, dunno if i'll be up that way anytime soon, but appreciate the offer.

are you planning on doing any traveling yourself anytime soon?

kutty

Reaction score
What's up fellow travelers. New to the site had a good friend of mine send me here. Gotta say it's not bad, very informative. I just reached Georgia headed west hopping. If anyone wants to meet up leave me a message

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
What's up fellow travelers. New to the site had a good friend of mine send me here. Gotta say it's not bad, very informative. I just reached Georgia headed west hopping. If anyone wants to meet up leave me a message

hey there @kutty! appreciate the post, but you should really start your own thread since it's not related to @UlfurinnHCT's original post.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads