Not sure if I should go for cold weather sleeping bag or not

wanderbusk

Reaction score
I will be walking the perimeter of the US. I am new to this lifestyle but have plenty of time to prepare and do some practice runs. I know I can't make it across the northern US in one warm season.

I am debating if I should start going south for the winter and walk back and pick up where I left off during the next warm season but this doesn't sound reasonable as I would have to start far too early to get to somewhere warm enough. Or, if I will just stay in an area and wait out the winter, perhaps getting a temp job for room and board before I move on as I probably wouldn't sleep outside at that time.

I will be busking as part of this whole thing but playing my uke won't be very easy in the winter since I lose so much dexterity in my hands. I realize that no matter what I do, I'm sure there are going to be some cooler nights in places, even during the warmer months.

Any thoughts on what kind of sleeping bag I should get? Thank you and enjoy

Last edited:

texastraveler

Reaction score
Personally I'd carry the warmest one possible, I feel it's better to be too warm and able to partially unzip it than to be cold and have to find another way of keeping warm. I had a 'travelpak 4', it was warm enough for the CA coast in December and it's got a mesh cover over the face in case you don't want set up a tent or nothing, i'd recommend it

texastraveler

Reaction score
It was pretty bulky though, I had it strapped to my bike handlebars. It would take up some space in a pack but it's pretty manageable if you pull like hell on the bag straps

Reactions: wanderbusk

AyeAaron

Hobocop
Reaction score
Marmot bags are good

I would definitely get a winter bag if you'll be traveling the northern border in the colder months, otherwise you'll wind up in the obituaries.

For spring and autumn, something like a 20f bag should be good I'd think. A hammock tarp can provide lightweight / compact shelter, thermals can go a long way in raising temps without adding bulk, a sleeping pad is completely essential for insulation, carrying wet wipes is always a good idea, you can take a marker and wrap duct tape around it to have a compact roll, carry spare socks...

wanderbusk

Reaction score
I'm think that since this will be such a long journey anyways, I probably shouldn't worry about just having one sleeping bag for the whole walk like I have been thinking, but to get a cooler or warmer one when I need to.

Personally I'd carry the warmest one possible, I feel it's better to be too warm and able to partially unzip it than to be cold and have to find another way of keeping warm. I had a 'travelpak 4', it was warm enough for the CA coast in December and it's got a mesh cover over the face in case you don't want set up a tent or nothing, i'd recommend it
Thank you. I'm now thinking that since this will be such a long journey anyways, I probably shouldn't worry about just having one sleeping bag for the whole walk like I have been thinking, but to get a cooler or warmer one when I need to. I will definitely look into the travelpak 4.

wanderbusk

Reaction score
Marmot bags are good

I would definitely get a winter bag if you'll be traveling the northern border in the colder months, otherwise you'll wind up in the obituaries.

For spring and autumn, something like a 20f bag should be good I'd think. A hammock tarp can provide lightweight / compact shelter, thermals can go a long way in raising temps without adding bulk, a sleeping pad is completely essential for insulation, carrying wet wipes is always a good idea, you can take a marker and wrap duct tape around it to have a compact roll, carry spare socks...

Thank you. I don't know why I was just thinking of only keeping with one bag for the whole trip. I will definitely keep in mind to get a different bag to fit the temperatures. Thanks for all of the other items listed as well.

Reactions: AyeAaron

AyeAaron

Hobocop
Reaction score
Thank you. I don't know why I was just thinking of only keeping with one bag for the whole trip. I will definitely keep in mind to get a different bag to fit the temperatures. Thanks for all of the other items listed as well.

I hope your journey goes well, mine have been hard at time but worthwhile

Also I'd recommend bear spray when you're in bear country, if nothing else it'll help you sleep at night. People get scared of coyotes and cats, but they wont bother you.

I use a butane heater, which is great and lightweight, they can be carried on foot, though maybe a little big.

Honestly I think your notion of working through winter is what I'd go for, you could throw a tent out in the woods and take it pretty easy, save money. But I've never been much of a daredevil

Desmocrat

living two lifetimes in the span of one.
Reaction score
Start with a bag rated for about 0℃ or colder. For a bit more warmth, line that bag with a sleeping bag liner, which you can sleep in by itself in warm weather. Cover that bag with a bivouac sack which is a low profile, less visible, and easy to deploy alternative to a tent. Keep your laundry in a dry bag and use that for a pillow (you can also fill the dry bag with water and detergent and roll it around to wash your clothes).

Desmocrat

living two lifetimes in the span of one.
Reaction score
Yeah I like to use tarps on the road. A few times I just put it over me like a blanket, and once at least that was a perfect disguise in plain sight...

I don’t know if anyone mentioned it but throwing one or more of those single use hand warmers in the foot of a sleeping bag will help if the weather turns colder than expected, or the reusable alternative is to fill a hot water bottle or one of those Mylar bags that come with a Sawyer water purification kit with water heated toward the end of the evening and throw that in the foot of your bag. The trick here is to get your bag system to work much in the same way as how layering clothing works to keep you closer to the desired temperature. Keeps you from having to sleep over a subway vent for warmth in the big ugly city.

AyeAaron

Hobocop
Reaction score
These days I camp out of my truck, usually out in the mountains, but in town I have a few spots where I can hangout comfortably

When I was on foot it was pretty much the same, I'll get to town and scout out a few spots in the woods outside, bike or bus in for supplies

wanderbusk

Reaction score
Start with a bag rated for about 0℃ or colder. For a bit more warmth, line that bag with a sleeping bag liner, which you can sleep in by itself in warm weather. Cover that bag with a bivouac sack which is a low profile, less visible, and easy to deploy alternative to a tent. Keep your laundry in a dry bag and use that for a pillow (you can also fill the dry bag with water and detergent and roll it around to wash your clothes).

I have been on the fence about a bivy and it will be good for bugs as well. I will be starting in the southern US most likely. I also like the laundry bag idea. Thank you!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads