Non-conformist teenagers formed a punk society in the abandoned buildings of Leeds | Squat the Planet

Non-conformist teenagers formed a punk society in the abandoned buildings of Leeds

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Non-conformist teenagers formed a punk society in the abandoned buildings of Leeds (Photos)
March 16, 2015

Non-conformist teenagers formed a punk society in the abandoned buildings of Leeds (Photos) - http://www.theplaidzebra.com/non-conformist-teenagers-formed-a-punk-society-in-the-abandoned-buildings-of-leeds-photos/

0_-abandoned-buildings-of-Leeds-620x400.jpg

The economic recession can be most witnessed in Leeds, Yorkshire where many young people share a single bedroom between up-to-ten people and a few dogs. Born from harsh job market and financial strain, the deeply-rooted punk community began crafting homes for themselves in the city’s abandoned buildings, often scavenging supermarket dumpsters after hours to put food in their stomachs.

For Living on The Edge, Photographer Ricky Adam immersed himself in punk culture and forged friendships with a tight-knit group of squatters where he chronicles the freedoms and hardships that come when living on the sidelines of mainstream society.

There are countless uninhabited buildings in Leeds, providing a perfect hideaway for these wayward youth, where they spend their days drinking, smoking, and playing music. While certain anxieties come with such a life, these individuals and their dogs always look out for one another. Punk philosophy requires only a few basic beliefs: always remain hopeful, live high on the moment, community over the individual, and fuck consumerism.

1_-abandoned-buildings-of-Leeds.jpg

23.jpg

3_-abandoned-buildings-of-Leeds.jpg

41.jpg

5_-abandoned-buildings-of-Leeds.jpg

61.jpg

7_-abandoned-buildings-of-Leeds.jpg

81.jpg

9_-abandoned-buildings-of-Leeds.jpg

101.jpg

11_-abandoned-buildings-of-Leeds.jpg

121.jpg

13_-abandoned-buildings-of-Leeds.jpg

141.jpg

15_-abandoned-buildings-of-Leeds.jpg

161.jpg

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Yeah, I really want to go check out their squats...

Reactions: VikingAdventurer

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
This has made me all nostalgic for the good old days of legally squatting houses.

It's still legal (meaning no criminal offense) to squat in commercial buildings in England. AFAIK.

One thing though that always grates on me in articles is that nobody over here says "dumpster" we'd say bin or skip. It's a minor point.

Yeah, it's more an US word ... in Germany we say "containern" ...

• Haha
Reactions: Matt Derrick

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
yup it is legal to squat commercial buildings, but not residential. Squatting warehouses, pubs, shops and offices is just not the same as houses. When you could squat houses it felt like what you were doing was normal, like you were living in a house like all the other people in the street. If you behaved yourself often neighbours wouldn't even realise it was a squat. I liked that sense of being normal, of living in a family of friends (however dysfunctional). This is just my opinion. I squatted because I had nowhere else to live not because I wanted to make a point or chose the lifestyle, so I guess I wanted to appear as though I was just a person living in a house. it Seems now like everybody over here in their late teens or early twenties goes and squats for a year. maybe it's the alternative gap year!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
really? is that your pup next to the fire?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads