Nicaragua Border | Squat the Planet

Nicaragua Border

Crab Rangoon

Reaction score
Good day

I am an American looking to get from Colombia to Mexico. I have route set from Colombia to Costa Rica, however I lack sufficient information to cross from Costa Rica to Nicaragua. How difficult would it be to cross over to Nicaragua from Costa Rica (No passport). Is it as simple as other borders where it is somewhat your responsibility to get your passport stamped? Or in some cases "accidently" cross a border?

I would like information on the Nicaragua/Costs Rica border.

I would also appreciate information on the Journey in general and other border crossings. Ive read other people have done it, but these people are no longer active and their contact i formation is outdated for me to ask them personally.

This trip is of upmost importance, so any advice such as blending in with the crowd, bribes, etc... would be very helpful.

I speak fluent spanish if that means anything.

Reactions: Sasquatch511

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
I can't help you with border crossing from Costa Rica to Nicaragua. But from Guatemala to Mexico, you need to get an FMM. Without a passport or enhanced DL you won't be able to enter Mexico, and more importantly you won't be able to re-enter the United States without significant hassle.

No idea what your situation is but you're gonna want to get your passport sorted. I would go to a US embassy or consulate and ask them what you need to do to get a temporary passport. And you're maybe welcome at my place in Oaxaca if you come through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juan Derlust

pcflvly

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
I met a woman who crossed all those borders with no ID. She would just ask in the border towns, where do people walk across, and she turned down any offers of guides. I didn't see any checkpoints in Central America but there are many in Mexico. I suppose if it was me in your shoes, I would throw the shoes out for huaraches and claim you're local if harassed.

Thomas Walker

Reaction score
I've not made that journey myself, but I've heard that a lot of southern Central American countries are overrun with violent drug lords and that because of this, roads between the two continents are practically non-existent. Be careful out there, and don't piss off the locals (you never know who's got a gun).

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Nicaragua is going through a civil war which is spreading into Honduras, Americans are leaving that area! Do an Internet search on what is going on down there!!! Take Heed!

Reactions: Sasquatch511

Crab Rangoon

Reaction score
Thankyou for all the replies

If I decide to use a passport, and I enter Panama from South America with a blank passport. No entry or exit stamp from Colombia or any neighboring countries, would I get stamped into Panama or will they want to see a foreign exit stamp and not a blank passport and in the end deny me entry?

Is that going to be a problem? If not then I guess I could use the passport from there on until Mexico. I hold Mexican citizenship too.

Ah and I plan to enter by power boat into panama

amines

Reaction score
You can easily cross from Nicaragua to Mexico all borders without a passport, crossing into Mexico from the US I didn't get my passport stamped and when exiting Mexico on the Border with Guatemala I got a piece of paper saying I was illegal and got an exit stamp without having to pay the usual 22$ fine when you loose your paper of entering Mexico

Reactions: Nomadicinquiries
D

Deleted member 26656

I met a woman who crossed all those borders with no ID. She would just ask in the border towns, where do people walk across, and she turned down any offers of guides. I didn't see any checkpoints in Central America but there are many in Mexico. I suppose if it was me in your shoes, I would throw the shoes out for huaraches and claim you're local if harassed.
The only checkpoints in central America are in Costa Rica..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads