Nicaragua Border

Threads
Current Location
United States
Reactions
0% 0% 0%
Good day

I am an American looking to get from Colombia to Mexico. I have route set from Colombia to Costa Rica, however I lack sufficient information to cross from Costa Rica to Nicaragua. How difficult would it be to cross over to Nicaragua from Costa Rica (No passport). Is it as simple as other borders where it is somewhat your responsibility to get your passport stamped? Or in some cases "accidently" cross a border?

I would like information on the Nicaragua/Costs Rica border.

I would also appreciate information on the Journey in general and other border crossings. Ive read other people have done it, but these people are no longer active and their contact i formation is outdated for me to ask them personally.

This trip is of upmost importance, so any advice such as blending in with the crowd, bribes, etc... would be very helpful.

I speak fluent spanish if that means anything.

zim

StP Admin
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Olympia, WA
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I can't help you with border crossing from Costa Rica to Nicaragua. But from Guatemala to Mexico, you need to get an FMM. Without a passport or enhanced DL you won't be able to enter Mexico, and more importantly you won't be able to re-enter the United States without significant hassle.

No idea what your situation is but you're gonna want to get your passport sorted. I would go to a US embassy or consulate and ask them what you need to do to get a temporary passport. And you're maybe welcome at my place in Oaxaca if you come through.

Last edited:

roughdraft

Wanderer
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Delmarva
Reactions
97% 1% 2%
me parece que es una malisima idea seguir sin pasaporte alla...

disfrute de los riesgos que valen la pena

pcflvly

Wanderer
Threads
Current Location
Durant, United States
Website
ello.co
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I met a woman who crossed all those borders with no ID. She would just ask in the border towns, where do people walk across, and she turned down any offers of guides. I didn't see any checkpoints in Central America but there are many in Mexico. I suppose if it was me in your shoes, I would throw the shoes out for huaraches and claim you're local if harassed.

Threads
Current Location
Indiana, USA
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
I've not made that journey myself, but I've heard that a lot of southern Central American countries are overrun with violent drug lords and that because of this, roads between the two continents are practically non-existent. Be careful out there, and don't piss off the locals (you never know who's got a gun).

Threads
Current Location
Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Nicaragua is going through a civil war which is spreading into Honduras, Americans are leaving that area! Do an Internet search on what is going on down there!!! Take Heed!

OP
OP
C
Threads
Current Location
United States
Reactions
0% 0% 0%
Thankyou for all the replies

If I decide to use a passport, and I enter Panama from South America with a blank passport. No entry or exit stamp from Colombia or any neighboring countries, would I get stamped into Panama or will they want to see a foreign exit stamp and not a blank passport and in the end deny me entry?

Is that going to be a problem? If not then I guess I could use the passport from there on until Mexico. I hold Mexican citizenship too.

Ah and I plan to enter by power boat into panama